Grafting, budding, layering and cuttings ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: grafting, budding, layering and cuttings ...

by Ahmed » 09/06/18, 23:23

The question is not whether it is a "difficult" graft or not, but to have understood the main principles which govern grafting and which relate to the physiological aspects of plants. The complicated English graft or "Jupiter trait", which I had the opportunity to practice, is not more complicated than others, except that it takes only the diameters of the rootstock and of the graft coincide, which is not the case, of course, with split or crown grafts ...
I doubt that budding changes much of these phenomena of differential growth which are the consequence of a functional incompatibility between two individuals. In any case, any grafting causes a disruption in the vessels, which ultimately harms the longevity of the trees.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 07/02/20, 16:15

Seek informed advice preferably from someone with experience.
Last year I made cherry grafts with 2/3 of success.
My question:
Is it useful to cut the grafts and prick them in the ground a week or 2 before the graft itself?
My father advised it but my (very small) personal experience makes me think rather the opposite
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 07/02/20, 18:18

Many strange practices do nothing or harm them altogether, but on the scale of a particularly meticulous person, this can still give good results ... which are not attributable to these practices! However, empiricism * is not to be systematically rejected (this is the difficulty!), Because this operation is often explained later and if not, it does not matter if it works!
* Besides, science could not have appeared without the empirical knowledge which very long allowed the survival of humanity!

In your case (you do not specify the type of graft that you practice?), The main rule is to avoid drying of the graft, so take in good conditions and keep cool (fridge + wet wrap) or d 'use immediately by storing the grafts in a jar containing water.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 08/02/20, 00:25

Thank you Ahmed for this answer which confirms what I think. I do crown transplants this season on cherry trees. I also have good successes on apple and plum. But I'm still quite a neophyte.
In summer I practiced the graft in escutcheon especially on peach trees.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/02/20, 09:00

In dormant grafting, it is necessary, in addition to fresh grafts, that the conditions are met for rapid healing, therefore good protection against drying of the graft and a very active rootstock; in summer grafting, which takes place around the end of August, it is the same thing, but it is easier to fulfill all the conditions, because the vegetative activity is then not limited by the temperature and if it is too dry, it is possible to water a few days before grafting ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/02/20, 11:10

You correct me, I am not at all an expert: the objective of putting in the fridge, besides the fact of "keeping fresh" (avoiding drying out) is also to have a gap between the development of the rootstock and that. of the graft?

It seems to me that before the fridges, the graft bundles were actually "gauge"? Another form of "fresh" (in the sense of temperature as in the sense of "anti-drying).
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/02/20, 11:11

phil53 wrote:Last year I made cherry grafts with 2/3 of success.

It is not bad at all !

It's been 5 years that I tell myself that I will try to graft wildlings that have grown along the fence ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/02/20, 16:32

Yes, you're absolutely right, Did, the idea is indeed to place an organ "in slow motion" on a very active rootstock, this to ensure the fastest possible functionality of the connection. What is to be feared in fact is that the graft will dry out and die quickly, which inevitably happens if it is not properly fed, in other words, we are looking for a condition of the graft where its needs are reduced and a state of the rootstock where it is in a situation of good sap production.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 08/02/20, 16:58

Did67 wrote:I've been thinking for 5 years that I'm going to try to graft wildlings ...

Graffiti brains of 93th century bourges on wilds of XNUMX? I don't know if it's really a good idea.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Did67

by Did67 » 08/02/20, 18:37

Poor Chevènement had been misunderstood, with his allegory. Journalists did not know that a wild is the wild plant obtained by sowing, which does not bear good fruit (in general), which is improved by grafting a real variety which gives beautiful fruits.

https://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/sauvageon
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"