Lazy garden on polluted soil

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Lazy garden on polluted soil

by anarchorete » 20/12/17, 09:59

Hi everybody,

I'm starting a kitchen garden lazy in the Gers, Auch. My land is south facing, sloping slightly from west to east. At the end of this slope is a fed up, empty at this moment (remains of the past drought.) The fed up fills from below, the ground being on a shallow water table (3 wells are present on the ground of 1000m² only).

Happy with this new playground, I have delimited my plots and began to think about my garden project, etc ... but here, I find myself in front of a big problem: the fed up served, the previous owner (a different kind of lazy) discharge.

Yesterday, I went down to this pool (where nothing has been thrown away for at least 5 years) to pick up, without forcing or digging, 3 crates of rubbish: old plastic bottles disintegrated from I do not know what solvent, old rusty tin aerosol bottles, "super 95" plastic canisters, medicine boxes, decomposed pipes, many glass bottles, bits of scrap metal of all kinds, etc ...

Suffice to say that I quickly disillusioned.

I must also specify that north of the ground there are the remains of a huge fire where all types of stuff were burned (I find a lot of carbonized nails, plastic pegs, polystyrene melted ...).

My question is: do you think I should give up my garden project? I really fear that I-do-not-know-what-poisons end up in my vegetables in the end. It's a shame because the soil is beautiful: superb clay-humic complex, a life abounding, earthworms are collected without digging, there are cuticles everywhere ...

Are there any scientists in the room who have an enlightened perspective on this kind of pollution?

PS: I do not intend to spend the equivalent of a year of buying vegetables in soil analysis : Wink:
0 x
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Lazy garden on polluted soil

by paysan.bio » 20/12/17, 10:25

Hello,
for the products in question, I do not believe that soil analysis would suffice.

see on the link what is searched on trace elements:

http://rhone-alpes.synagri.com/synagri/ ... penElement

a carrot analysis produced in the field maybe?
0 x
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by anarchorete » 20/12/17, 10:47

Thank you paysan.bio

This link is interesting but I do not want to spend money to do a soil analysis (I get this land for free and I do not necessarily have the budget.)

What I was wondering above all is if the plants risked "drawing" pollutants from the pond / water table? When I take carrots from the ground they look very healthy ...
0 x
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 20/12/17, 11:18

anarchorete wrote:Thank you paysan.bio

This link is interesting but I do not want to spend money to do a soil analysis (I get this land for free and I do not necessarily have the budget.)

What I was wondering above all is if the plants risked "drawing" pollutants from the pond / water table? When I take carrots from the ground they look very healthy ...

sorry,
I was talking about a real carrot,
a wild carrot recovered from the field for analysis of chemical residues.
carrots concentrate pollutants well.

for the fed up, it is difficult to answer because some pollutants can be dangerous very long.
those used batteries for example.

for places where there was fire,
in Guadeloupe, they have a parade against the effects of Chlordecone:
they make permaculture tanks raised so that the roots do not sink into the primary soil.
it works for leafy vegetables but not for root vegetables.
0 x
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by anarchorete » 20/12/17, 12:58

Ah, ok, as much for me! : Cheesy:

No wild carrot in the garden for the moment unfortunately ...

Other questions :
1. Is the abundance of soil life a good indicator of non-pollution, or does it have nothing to do with it?
2. Is the fed up, located well below the cultivated surface, able to go back pollutants by infiltration while leveling up?

Well, in any case I can say that in pre-conclusion I will probably not cultivate this land, as a precaution.
0 x
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 20/12/17, 13:09

anarchorete wrote:Ah, ok, as much for me! : Cheesy:

No wild carrot in the garden for the moment unfortunately ...

Other questions :
1. Is the abundance of soil life a good indicator of non-pollution, or does it have nothing to do with it?
2. Is the fed up, located well below the cultivated surface, able to go back pollutants by infiltration while leveling up?

Well, in any case I can say that in pre-conclusion I will probably not cultivate this land, as a precaution.

no abundance of soil life is not a sufficient indicator.
there is little risk of rising from the pool below but it is better not to water with the water of the pond

other plants with bulging roots also work for analysis: rumex, dandelion etc ...
1 x
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by anarchorete » 20/12/17, 13:25

Ok.

So dandelion is there. I will see if I can find a lab (and the price).

I specify that no deposit was made where I intend to cultivate (just in the fed up). Otherwise I have the possibility to cultivate in a space far from the fed up, located about 2 meters high compared to the level of the house. Maybe it would be safer here?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/12/17, 13:56

anarchorete wrote:2. Is the fed up, located well below the cultivated surface, able to go back pollutants by infiltration while leveling up?

If as I understand it the pond is located "well below" and that it is mainly fed by the water table (which therefore flows towards it, according to your first post, "the pond fills up from below"), the risks seem very low to me.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/12/17, 14:44

The main risk would indeed be the metals linked to the combustion of batteries ... Luckily, I would say, metals are not very mobile: they "stay". What is one of the disadvantages (in particular for the lead of fuels over time; for the zinc of corrugated iron roofs or for the copper of fans of "bio" treatments with copper sulfate) can also be an advantage in your case.

Afterwards, the behavior of plants vis-à-vis this or that pollutant is very variable. Some "filter". The others "stuff themselves". There are even plants that are used to extract certain pollutants. But it's very sharp. You have to know which ones!

In any case, I would avoid places where things were burnt. Because this bad combustion is often a source of pollution, just like some incinerators. But all the same, it is necessary to put into perspective: between an incinerator which "pollutes" 24 hours a day for years and a "brulot" having operated a few times ...

I would avoid as a precaution, brulots and a meter or two around ...
0 x
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by anarchorete » 20/12/17, 18:01

sicetaitsimple wrote:
If as I understand it the pond is located "well below" and that it is mainly fed by the water table (which therefore flows towards it, according to your first post, "the pond fills up from below"), the risks seem very low to me.

In fact the terrain is sloping, so the fed up is lower than the rest. On the other hand, at the beginning, I intended to start my plots on the edge of pennies, then to make them go up the slope (the West), but I will avoid getting too close. That said, yes, the water flows to the fed up.

I will make a plan and take some pictures as soon as I have a moment, it will be clearer.

Did67 wrote:The main risk would indeed be the metals linked to the combustion of batteries ... Luckily, I would say, metals are not very mobile: they "stay". What is one of the disadvantages (in particular for the lead of fuels over time; for the zinc of corrugated iron roofs or for the copper of fans of "bio" treatments with copper sulfate) can also be an advantage in your case.

Afterwards, the behavior of plants vis-à-vis this or that pollutant is very variable. Some "filter". The others "stuff themselves". There are even plants that are used to extract certain pollutants. But it's very sharp. You have to know which ones!

In any case, I would avoid places where things were burnt. Because this bad combustion is often a source of pollution, just like some incinerators. But all the same, it is necessary to put into perspective: between an incinerator which "pollutes" 24 hours a day for years and a "brulot" having operated a few times ...

I would avoid as a precaution, brulots and a meter or two around ...

According to my excavations, there were no batteries in the pond (but it is possible that they are now buried, quite simply.) What scares me especially (in addition to metals), it is the VOC (see this URL: http://home-analyses.fr/88-cov-dans-les-sols.html - I can not insert a link)

Regarding the fire, yes, I will make a "security perimeter" and especially not plant anything below ... I will probably do the same with the puddle.
0 x