Vegetable garden of the sloth - AISNE (02)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Vegetable garden of the sloth - AISNE (02)

by Nico02 » 22/11/17, 17:50

Hello everybody

To begin with, a small presentation, I did not find a section corresponding to that, so I make a small presentation of the person and my future "vegetable garden".

I'm Nicolas, 35 years, I live in the countryside of Aisne, really on the northern border ....
With Madame and the children we have opted for a life in the countryside, so we invested in a small farm and we are very satisfied.

While doing some research to start a small vegetable garden, at the request of my children, who would like to go and get the vegetables directly from the garden, I came across the "sloth's vegetable garden" thread, I read a lot of things in this long thread, but I haven't gone to the end (yet), I also have the FAQ, in part I'm not yet at the end.

I became more interested in this method for two reasons, I work weekdays, and the countryside is far from the city, so I have little time to maintain a "classic vegetable patch", if I can put it that way. week and I am more than a novice in the matter.
I've also seen some YouTube videos ...
I admit not having understood all the technical terms, I am really new, but I think I understand the guideline (I say "I think").

As we are in November, I am still in the nails and as I still have hay at home, to feed my horses who are grazing in the year, and that I still have hay remains not enough nutritious I decided to start. (I understood that it was not embarrassing)

So I started a small rectangle (small enough), I put a good layer of hay and I let nature do its work. I hope to start with my children strawberries (red and white), salad and radishes. If you have ideas for fruit or vegetables for beginners, I'm interested.

And finally, if I manage to get by, why not enlarge this kitchen garden lazy next season ...

But I still have work, to be very honest I do not even know when I should plant my strawberries, salad and radish for the moment, but I will find it without difficulty ...

I take this opportunity to thank Did67 and all the "lazy" participants in the thread.

I would not make my beginner's return, for the moment the hay is placed on the ground, let winter pass ...

Looking forward to reading you.

Nico.
2 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Vegetable garden of the sloth - AISNE (02)

by sicetaitsimple » 22/11/17, 20:35

Nico02 wrote:Hello everybody

To begin with, a small presentation, I did not find a section corresponding to that, so I make a small presentation of the person and my future "vegetable garden".
While doing some research to start a small vegetable garden, at the request of my children, who would like to go and get the vegetables directly from the garden, I came across the "sloth's vegetable garden" thread, I read a lot of things in this long thread, but I haven't gone to the end (yet), I also have the FAQ, in part I'm not yet at the end.

First of all welcome.

If it's "at the request of your children", your choices (salads, radishes, strawberries) are good. It grows quickly, it can be picked up and eaten quickly too, they like it. I think that the potatoes (for the moment "magic" of the harvest, the surprise), the zucchini (it gets bigger and bigger), the green beans (but often they don't like it) are also good candidates, normally fairly easy to cultivate.

You say "small area", how much is it?

Good luck.
1 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 23/11/17, 06:54

From my point of view, radish, salad, it's not so easy to start with that in the hay.
As against cucurbitaceae, tomatoes, p of t, it's easy.
1 x
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Nico02 » 23/11/17, 09:28

Thank you for your advice ...

To be more precise on my future first kitchen garden I think, with an eye, I did not take the time to measure, it must have an area of ​​40m2, see 50 m2, rectangular.

I covered it with about 20 cm of hay, once again it is "visibly", I had not especially planned to do it, but I told myself that it had to be done. be tempted, and as I seemed in the nails in this month of November I started.
When I arrived in the house, this part of the ground was covered with a sort of black tarpaulin, I say sort because it was very thin, for me it should not be a tarpaulin but a sort of "thick bag". There were a few strawberries planted in holes made in the tarp.
The latter was pierced everywhere by nettles and thistles (high enough with a purple flower at the top), I call it thistles, but I'm wrong maybe.
So I took everything off two years ago, and apart from mowing I did nothing on it until I covered it with hay ...

The ground, contains a lot of pebbles when you start digging, I know because I put, near this garden, my raspberry and currant to be more exposed to the sun.

I maintain that my children are claimants, but I confess that with Madam I am not against either ...
I had not made a vegetable garden earlier for fear of not having the necessary time for its maintenance and its evolution, the gardener's memories of my childhood are the maintenance of my grandfather's garden, which worked the land spade, for excellent results, but in exchange for a lot of time spent in the garden.

When I discovered how to make the "lazy man's vegetable garden", I thought it was worth trying.

I quoted vegetables and fruits that appeal to children (and me) I take note of your suggestions ...
I think that for this first I will buy plants "in pot" in the trade which I will replant in the ground by spreading the hay on a small surface. In addition as I am rather new in terms of culture, I tell myself that when I find these pots in the trade it will correspond to the period of planting of these fruits and vegetables.

Thanks for your advices.

Nico.
0 x
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Nico02 » 23/11/17, 10:05

Small fix,

To think about the area, I went a little hard I think, I'm closer to 30 m2, probably a little less, sorry for the exaggeration ....

Nico.
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 23/11/17, 10:32

Hello Nico02
Welcome to this forum.
As for the cultivation of vegetables, I confirm the sicetaitsis simple, the vegetables mentioned are among those easiest to grow. Regarding strawberries, it is better to put brf.
Denis
0 x
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Nico02 » 23/11/17, 12:40

Hello,

I understood that for the "fruit trees" it was more a question of BRF than of hay ...

However, I have not yet done research on the said BRF and to be honest I did not know this term before discovering it here.
So I understood that it was necessary to "grind" wood ...
To put it simply, wood, I have plenty of it (cleaning horse pasture, my land, hedges, etc.) but I don't have a chipper and I don't know if it's "the right wood. "to" manufacture "the BRF ...

And I don't know if I can "buy some", if I did my research on time and it's not too late, I would cover another patch of BRF to put the strawberries in ...

But having not understood the concept well I preferred not to start immediately ...

Nico.
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 23/11/17, 14:18

The "good" brf, small diameter wood, 4cm or less for me, is what goes through my shredder, type living hedge, fruit tree, pruning of various hardwoods, all pruned after the leaves have fallen.
So the best for you I think, it is to prepare your wood to grind, to be lent or to rent a crusher and finally to hit the pile. : Wink:
I personally have one bought for two, and for me a use of 2 days a year.
Denis
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 23/11/17, 14:41

hello and welcome among the lazy!

if it is for a small surface you can do without crusher and make rameal wood stepped, that is to say that your feet replace the crusher : Wink:

you stretch young branches of hardwoods just lost their leaves (for me diameter 2cm and less) on the ground and you walk regularly on it, drying they break into small pieces and it ends up making the BRF that you can use for your strawberry . I put the wood on my access to the kitchen garden and it goes quickly enough for the small diameter ...
0 x
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Nico02 » 23/11/17, 15:35

Thanks for the advice on the BRF,

I think not to invest immediately in a crusher, I'm only in a test period, but actually why not grind a small area by trampling ...

In wood I have a lot of things that come from cleaning the pastures and the land. I have a lot of hawthorns, there was plenty of them in the pasture and when we installed the horses we were advised to remove them, because not terrible for them, the cutting of my privet, the cutting of the fir trees, and some trees " dead "that I had to cut.

Can these woods be used to make BRF? I understood from the reading of some posts that it was not too much the case for the fir (or I confuse with the spines of the fir tree).

Last little question:

I plant two years ago 6 raspberry, they have multiplied a lot because I have a dozen now, I moved them to put more sun, with currant. Then cover the outline of these fruit with BRF even if they are already planted?

Thank you for your advice and your welcome and thank you for the answers to come.

Nico.
0 x