Vegetable garden of the sloth - AISNE (02)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Vegetable garden of the sloth - AISNE (02)

by denis17 » 23/11/17, 15:44

I confirm, brf also for raspberries, and perso I avoid the tree.
Denis
0 x
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Nico02 » 23/11/17, 17:21

Thank you for this answer Denis.

Nico.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/11/17, 18:59

Nico02 wrote:
To think about the area, I went a little hard I think, I'm closer to 30 m2, probably a little less, sorry for the exaggeration ....

If you start with 30m2, in my opinion you should not diversify too much in the contributions (including BRF) because it may cause you more than anything else when you want to change your crop after a first harvest, you can not do what you want or not easily with BRF on the surface.

In addition, what you are describing to us would be rather "false BRF", so a little risky. Instead, reserve it for other uses than your vegetable garden (on raspberries already in place for example). On the strawberries to come maybe also, but if it is "false BRF" it can be more harmful than useful.
1 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 23/11/17, 19:17

Dry twigs Nico, it's not BRF, the brf is made with wood that has just been cut. This year, I put milled wood residue on my strawberry plants, they did not produce as much.
Didier explained it several times that creates an imbalance and it is necessary to leave to nature the time to take again the but. Or compensate by sprinkling with fresh mowing. But not too much or too close, it burns the plants.
1 x
Nico02
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Nico02 » 23/11/17, 20:40

Thank you for these clarifications Sicetaitsimple and Phil.

I think for this first test I will be satisfied with the plot covered with hay.

And to complete this parcel will not move if I came to enlarge next season I chose his place according to a possible enlargement, but that's for later :)

Thanks again.

Nico.
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 23/11/17, 21:06

the BRF is based on ramial wood, so twigs ...
after the twigs are dry or fresh (provided of course they have been stored as dry twigs) it does not change much: it's like comparing hay and high lignified grass, it's the same thing at ground level level there is just the drying that differentiates them ...

the fake BRF is that based on non-ramial wood, ie wood not from twigs (bark, trunk wood, large branches, etc.)
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/11/17, 21:36

Lolounette wrote:the BRF is based on ramial wood, so twigs ...
after the twigs are dry or fresh (provided of course they have been stored as dry twigs) it does not change much: it's like comparing hay and high lignified grass, it's the same thing at ground level level there is just the drying that differentiates them ...

the fake BRF is that based on non-ramial wood, ie wood not from twigs (bark, trunk wood, large branches, etc.)

I do not use BRF, so I'm in parrot mode ...

But to my knowledge the BRF (the "real one", the one that was invented and even patented I believe in Quebec), it is indeed raméal wood (therefore from relatively young and thin branches), but rather harvested from the autumn after leaf fall, then quickly crushed and spread quickly. And in addition to 80% + hardwood.

Not exactly the resource Nico is talking about.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/11/17, 21:50

The BRF is not really made from "twigs", which suggests small branches, but green twigs up to 7 cm in diameter (this limit results from a convention, it is therefore approximate, but remains consistent in practice).
As for assimilating dry wood to hay ... : roll: : frankly, I have a little trouble following you! :D The sugars and all the nutrients contained in the fresh branches disappear when they dry out in dead wood: nothing remains but carbon. I would rather describe this opposition as that between a green leaf and a dead leaf.
We must call "false BRF" all uses of crushed wood that does not meet the definition of the BRF. For example, I gladly grind leafy twigs: the product obtained is therefore not real BRF (but it allows me to have more biomass since I am less limited by the season).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 23/11/17, 22:03

During my studies in Quebec (many years ago now it does not rejuvenate us : Lol:) I attended one of the 1ere conferences that updated the effects of BRF on cultivated soils. They had talked about crushed twigs and not branches of 7cm ... rameal wood fragmented for rameal: 7 cm is more in the branch : Wink: the interest is to have only live wood and almost no structural wood ...

The definition may have been deviated since then, but it should not be surprising then to see nitrogen faims with branches as big as too rich in non-living wood. And do not be surprised either of the variable results of a BRF to another because if one does not do it oneself it is not known with which wood it was done ...

Ahmed wrote:As for assimilating dry wood to hay ... : roll: : frankly, I have a little trouble following you! :D The sugars and all the nutrients contained in the fresh branches disappear when they dry out in dead wood: nothing remains but carbon. I would rather describe this opposition as that between a green leaf and a dead leaf.

and where are the sugars and nutrients? they evaporate during drying? in this case they must evaporate hay too ... : Wink:
The leaves are different from the green leaves because the trees recover the nutrients they contain, it is not the case of twigs cut and allowed to dry: as long as they were harvested at the right time (after the fall leaves from which they recovered what was to recover) and dried properly they keep what makes them interesting for soil microorganisms ...

of course it is easier to grind green wood than dry, so for those who have a grinder it will make its BRF on green wood.
but to make a small amount of wood rameal dry twigs can very well agree, they are more brittle so it goes faster to break them by trampling ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/11/17, 08:09

Hello
we must be neighbors, but I am on the other side of the border, North side Aisne limit : Mrgreen:

if you are a novice, do not worry too much about life,
you have even chosen the right bases, a garden of small size, covered with hay, and you have the right step, buy seedlings in buckets
just a note about the buckets, saying that when it's sold in the store it's the right time, that's right, but now with the sales race, well it does not have it anymore, it's like the Christmas toys put in place at the end of October, too early

in our corner, we have the same weather
you will be able to find the salad to be transplanted in the spring, to try peas it is playful for the children, the plantation and the écossage)
after to really start you I will wait mid May, early June, zucchini, beans, tomatoes (not too much mildew strikes hard, or then tomato cherry, more resistant and earlier and also very productive, always report to children)
and do not forget the pumpkins, you will make happy on Halloween

you can make cucumber, try a few feet of peppers and eggplants, and actually a little potato

so here, for your first year, I will really be in the easy and fun, to ensure
with in parallel a few small tests to learn

for the brf, true or false do not break your head, if you can do it, make it in place around your small fruit or strawberries, add a little mowing lawn, you must have it in quantity

if you have a lot, you spread it on a future plot, thin layer (crushed or just walking on it, it can be a game for children) and you spread your lawn clippings it will calmly prepare your extension of the 'next year
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)