First vegetable garden and first vegetable garden of the Lazy in the Allier

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: First vegetable garden and first vegetable garden of the Lazy in the Allier

by Moindreffor » 29/03/21, 12:51

why remove what you put, put the hay on top
the straw I tested last year I really regret, but if you have a corner that you are not going to cultivate and that you want to prepare for the following year why not

the small galleries are field mice, it can bother you if you do direct sowing, I have some but I do not do direct sowing so they don't bother me : Mrgreen:
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 29/03/21, 14:42

Moindreffor wrote:why remove what you put, put the hay on top
the straw I tested last year I really regret, but if you have a corner that you are not going to cultivate and that you want to prepare for the following year why not

the small galleries are field mice, it can bother you if you do direct sowing, I have some but I do not do direct sowing so they don't bother me : Mrgreen:

Thanks for the quick Moindreffor feedback! Error on my part, it's not straw but hay that I'm going to put haha

I had the same thought, why remove what is already ... I was only afraid of a possible nitrogen hunger with the branches.

Ok for the field mice, as it is the first year, we will mainly put plants, and I will see to install day and night raptor perches, as well as a nice pile of stones to bring back lots of bebettes ...

Long live biodiversity haha

PS Thank you for your answer on your post, we also do our seedlings indoors behind a window, and I am in the process of perfecting a seedling cabinet too ...
0 x
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 30/03/21, 11:02

Yesterday, planting a comfrey plan, the earth was very hard (my planting trowel bent ...), wet and compact. I added a little potting soil, hoping that the roots could cross this earth (I trust Didier).

Plantations of batavia too, with a very loose soil in this place, and, indeed, a few galleries of rodents, which made holes, but above all which loosened the earth and therefore made my task easier!

With strawberries at the top of the image.

When planting, I wonder if we should put hay right under the plants? Or does not leaving a little bare soil risk much (if I keep an eye on weeds)?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/03/21, 11:20

LobaLovo wrote:When planting, I wonder if we should put hay right under the plants? Or does not leaving a little bare soil risk much (if I keep an eye on weeds)?

it's you who sees, at worst you try it, a few plants with a small clearance and a few others lined with hay and you will see for yourself, there is no better way to understand the technique than to try it yourself like that you make up your own mind, with your own feelings, each with its own nuances
0 x
(of me)
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 01/04/21, 17:59

Moindreffor wrote:
LobaLovo wrote:When planting, I wonder if we should put hay right under the plants? Or does not leaving a little bare soil risk much (if I keep an eye on weeds)?

it's you who sees, at worst you try it, a few plants with a small clearance and a few others lined with hay and you will see for yourself, there is no better way to understand the technique than to try it yourself like that you make up your own mind, with your own feelings, each with its own nuances

Thanks Moindreffor.

Effectively, I am learning to "let go of the ballast", by having more experience, and by learning with my specific situation.

Today several tests with the planting of a Brussels cabbage, and a corn stalk, as well as two seedlings in a bucket which I have no idea what it is (and which made the face, therefore not too much hope ...).

ImageImage

In the plot where I planted, the soil was very compact, still struggling to dig in to make my hole, and the soil sticks a lot to the weeds that I brought out (as well as a lot of moss).

So I wonder if, impatient as I am, it is not a little (or a lot) too early for me to plant in this plot.

I tell myself that she hasn't had enough time to warm up, and the hay has only been on it for a few weeks (even though there was a blanket of dead leaves and a woven tarp since November). .

If anyone has a similar experience or advice, I'm interested!

Setting up a few rows of onions and garlic, while experimenting, some planted, others simply placed on the ground, all covered with a thick layer of hay (hidden at the level of the sticks planted).

And setting up aisles that I should have done before installing all the hay, that would have helped me in laziness ...

0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/04/21, 19:47

be careful with the onions, you need well decompacted hay, otherwise they do not pierce the hay, when you decompact it immediately makes you a big thickness but after a little fork to flatten a little and the rain will do the rest

after trying, trying it is only like that that we learn
0 x
(of me)