Creation and maintenance of an orchard

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Creation and maintenance of an orchard

by sicetaitsimple » 03/12/17, 12:35

Paysan.bio wrote:I see that there is a lot of talk about nursery trees.
I will certainly be Raba Joy but I find that one of the most interesting aspects of the orchard is the "making" of the trees.
I know ... it's less lazy but what's exciting.

You are certainly right, but you still have to know how to do it, and I don't know.

One more thing to learn, now that I have time and space.
0 x
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 03/12/17, 13:27

yes, I was talking about air layering.

it's really the cool thing to learn.
for sharing plants, it's nice.
in addition, it is preferable to use gourmands, the branches that are removed to increase fruit production.
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 03/12/17, 13:47

the concern also is that the cutting gives a free plant of foot which will give a tree of full wind, therefore unsuitable for small grounds ...
personal my land is not only small but also narrower and wedged between constructions, I can only plant there forms 1/2 stems and low. so the feet must be forgotten a priori! or go through the grafting box, which I know how to do, but there it is necessary to manage to obtain dwarfing rootstocks.

I already have thorny plum trees on the ground, I think from the rootstocks of the old fruit trees that were there a long time ago and ended up collapsing. The idea of ​​keeping them by grafting them with the fruit trees that interest me is in my head but I always have this concern about the height of the trees in the end, I don't really know what it could give ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/12/17, 13:54

I was asking myself the same question, because your formulation, Peasant-bio, was quite elliptical ...
Layering, aerial or not * is a good means of vegetative propagation; usually, we mainly talk about grafting, in terms of fruit trees.
In the case of air layering, it is necessary to maintain a pocket of moist substrate, generally sphagnum, by wrapping it with a sheet of waterproof plastic. A little cutting hormone (synthetic or natural) helps things and increases the root volume.

@ Lolounette: a priori, it should not be difficult to obtain rootstocks from specialized nurserymen.

* Layering can also be carried out in the ground, by lowering a branch and covering the earth or in mounds in the case of mother-feet specially dedicated to this function. The part supposed to emit roots must be slightly injured and the surrounding substrate kept moist. The marcots are taken during the off-sap period.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 03/12/17, 13:58

Lolounette wrote:the concern also is that the cutting gives a free plant of foot which will give a tree of full wind, therefore unsuitable for small grounds ...
personal my land is not only small but also narrower and wedged between constructions, I can only plant there forms 1/2 stems and low. so the feet must be forgotten a priori! or go through the grafting box, which I know how to do, but there it is necessary to manage to obtain dwarfing rootstocks.

I already have thorny plum trees on the ground, I think from the rootstocks of the old fruit trees that were there a long time ago and ended up collapsing. The idea of ​​keeping them by grafting them with the fruit trees that interest me is in my head but I always have this concern about the height of the trees in the end, I don't really know what it could give ...

I don't entirely agree with that:
I agree that rootstocks help in the shape of trees for pruning.
but I also know that we can do without rootstocks and get prunings that greatly promote very good fruiting.
I have a problem with dwarfing rootstocks: they have the annoying tendency to burst trees very quickly.
It makes the business work but I don't like it at all, this planned obsolescence.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/12/17, 14:05

The adaptation between the rootstock and the scion is indeed often a source of concern. Indeed, it is not enough to have little growing roots to slow down a vigorous graft and the risk is to obtain an "inverted bottle" at the level of the junction. Generally speaking, grafting decreases the life expectancy of trees.
Tilting branches is a good way to control wood growth and fruiting ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 03/12/17, 14:24

Ahmed wrote:I was asking myself the same question, because your formulation, Peasant-bio, was quite elliptical ...
Layering, aerial or not * is a good means of vegetative propagation; usually, we mainly talk about grafting, in terms of fruit trees.
In the case of air layering, it is necessary to maintain a pocket of moist substrate, generally sphagnum, by wrapping it with a sheet of waterproof plastic. A little cutting hormone (synthetic or natural) helps things and increases the root volume.

It is precisely because we often only talk about grafting for fruit trees that I put forward air layering, which seems to me a much more valid technique for gardeners.

for the substrate, I use potting soil that I moisten to form a kind of elongated sphere.
I break it in half and I glue it around the barked stalk.
I cover with a transparent plastic sheet attached at the top and bottom with string.

to bark, I make two transverse cuts of the bark spaced 4-5 cm apart.
I remove all the bark between these two cuts.
I scrape the wood a little to remove the outer layer.
this is where the small rootlets will form which we will see thanks to the transparent plastic.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 03/12/17, 14:41

Organic farmer,

Do you have a favorite period? Can you give a more precise lesson?

The rootstocks are not really a problem, at more or less one euro on the net and easy to find, the investment is not huge and allows to multiply the tests in a nursery corner. Franc seedlings made from pips and pits also work relatively easily, at least for a gardener. I did my first transplants only this late summer, on cherry trees.
so I do not have the result but I still recommend this grafting forceps, (https://www.triangle-outillage.fr/coute ... e-a45.html) For those who are afraid, it is extremely easy to use.
My father does transplants very regularly.

Olivier
0 x
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 03/12/17, 14:54

olivier75 wrote:Organic farmer,

Do you have a favorite period? Can you give a more precise lesson?

Olivier

I do it in spring and fall.
it usually takes about two months for the roots to form.
replanting in pots in summer gives too much watering work.

by doing it in September, we can plant in place at Saint Catherine.
it's pretty cool for the recovery.
1 x
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by phil12 » 03/12/17, 14:59

Hello everyone !

Paysanbio you practice that with what species?
0 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"