Preservation of vegetables

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Preservation of vegetables

by phil53 » 07/07/19, 23:11

I open a new topic about vegetable conservation with the goal of sharing everyone's experiences.
I am mainly interested in conservation without sterilization that limits the use of energy and it's super "boring" to do with sometimes waste.
Jerome to propose the following link
Full of recipes here: https://nicrunicuit.com/

By cons it is not very detailed and they especially want to sign up for their internships.
The recipes described speak of preservation with salt or brine, frankly when I was a child that's what my parents did more or less and the taste was not folichon.
Foods too salty and hard.

Who makes homemade sauerkraut?

I imagined using the sound of bokashi, is it possible?
The smell is nice when I open my pot of waste. This rpapel a little corn silage.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Preserving vegetables

by izentrop » 08/07/19, 00:51

Never done but this recipe gives all the details, it seems to me www.mon-bio-jardin.com/cuisine-savoir-f ... on-54.html
0 x
Jérôme
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Jérôme » 08/07/19, 14:22

I make lacto-fermented shredded cabbage in 1-liter jars, with the technique described on the site: https://nicrunicuit.com/faire/fermenter ... houcroute/ .
It may not be official sauerkraut but it is very good and very easy to do.
Carrot and beets (all grated) work well too.
My goal is to have simple and fast recipes to have the desire and the time to remake them regularly.
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 08/07/19, 14:53

I made tests of lacto fermentation, nothing to do, I find the taste disgusting, although I can possibly conceive for German cabbage (sauerkraut).

I just invested in a dehydrate, for now I could test with strawberries (cut into thin slices), and frankly it's not bad. On the other hand it costs expensive a good dehydrator (~ 500 euros for a sedona with stainless steel grilles).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/07/19, 18:48

Sauerkraut is super easy!

a) the cabbage must be cut very finely; a sauerkraut whiskey is needed almost to do a great job!

b) first, clean the cabbage head, remove the damaged edge leaves and "take out" the core (there is a tool!); go under the tap ...

c) so you remember - ATTENTION TO THE FINGERBAR !!! - the rappe above the container ...

d) in the container, you compress strongly, after having salted (alas, I dose randomly - I will be careful this fall to quantify a little but it must be on the net; rather put a little "too much" - we desalinate sauerkraut before cooking if it's too salty - a rinse or two, in hot or cold water, leaving to soak more or less - all to taste!)

You compress compress compress with your hands, until the juice comes out enough so that the level of juice exceeds the level of cabbages.

You alternate gratings / pressing until there are no more cabbage - or the container is full (you stop at the first of two contingencies)!

You put cut-out boards in the shape of the top of the container and a weight so that the sauerkraut always remains below the level of juice. It is an anaerobic fermentation.

Generally, molds form on the surface. Clean them. Remember that fungi are aerobic, so there is no problem in depth.

Oh, I forgot: everything is fine at the expense of a cellar. To 14 ° C.

Sausages are another matter. But first raise your pigs and I'll tell you!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 08/07/19, 22:03

Did67 wrote:Sausages are another matter. But first raise your pigs and I'll tell you!

Teasing hell! Tomorrow, Didier pulls down!
But hey, for sauerkraut, I seem to remember that one day you promised us a video. Even if your explanations seem very clear, to see a pure Alsatian do it in video, it would be a plus anyway!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/07/19, 08:18

I wanted ... And then, shame, last year, my sauerkraut sprouts did not produce. Finally some. Others not enough. And very very late. They finished at the bottom of the salad bowl like that!

This year, it's not won either! It still does not rain. The proximity of the Gobi desert, maybe ???
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/07/19, 08:29

Stef72 wrote:I made tests of lacto fermentation, nothing to do, I find the taste disgusting, although I can possibly conceive for German cabbage (sauerkraut).

I just invested in a dehydrate, for now I could test with strawberries (cut into thin slices), and frankly it's not bad. On the other hand it costs expensive a good dehydrator (~ 500 euros for a sedona with stainless steel grilles).

you can explain the principle because I have a project of dehydration of tomatoes, by heat, the principle to pass tomatoes in an oven at a temperature below 100 ° C to dry but not cook
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 09/07/19, 08:40

The principle must be ventilation with hot air ...

The "ultimate" in dehydration is cold dehydration, with a box fitted with a heat pump! The evaporator (cold source) dehydrates the air - you have noticed that they drip on any air conditioning! - then you heat the air to 25 ° which lowers its relative humidity; you pass over the products to be dehydrated. This will "tear off" the water, which will be in the air flow which returns to the evaporator while remaining at 25 ° ...

This cold dehydration converse much better aromas (which are volatile molecules), vitamins and antioxidants ...

Lyophilization is vacuum dehydration. Water evaporates at low pressure (it can even "boil" when cold) ...

But it's a little more technical to build !!! And more expensive ... Although, at 500 €, with a "split" air conditioning, we should not be far ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/07/19, 09:01

Did67 wrote:The principle must be ventilation with hot air ...

The "ultimate" in dehydration is cold dehydration, with a box fitted with a heat pump! The evaporator (cold source) dehydrates the air - you have noticed that they drip on any air conditioning! - then you heat the air to 25 ° which lowers its relative humidity; you pass over the products to be dehydrated. This will "tear off" the water, which will be in the air flow which returns to the evaporator while remaining at 25 ° ...

This cold dehydration converse much better aromas (which are volatile molecules), vitamins and antioxidants ...

Lyophilization is vacuum dehydration. Water evaporates at low pressure (it can even "boil" when cold) ...

But it's a little more technical to build !!! And more expensive ... Although, at 500 €, with a "split" air conditioning, we should not be far ...

yes I see the principles, I studied the cycles of heat pumps during my chemistry-physics but I was more chemist than physicist : Mrgreen:
I would like to do dehydration drying with hot air, but lost coast, I have almost the gear, I just have to finish the construction, the only problem is that I do not have the right thermometer under the mins to make temperature measurements, I really do not know how much can mount my oven so for the measurement I'll wait to get a thermometer that goes up to at least 150 ° C

the ambient air warmed by the oven having an ability to store more moisture should pump that present in vegetables
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)