Vegetable conservation? freezing

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Vegetable conservation? freezing

by Moindreffor » 04/09/18, 08:58

chatelot16 wrote:the problem of the freezer is that in case of power failure we lose everything

there was at least 20 a neighbor had too much green beans ... I started to make canned glass jars ... I ate for a long time, and I kept a little to see how long it stays ... and it seems to keep perfectly: no loss

for me the freezer is for a short-term preservation ... all that can keep in sterilized jars is more safe than the freezer

as said above, canning in jars is my whole childhood at my grandmother's, in addition to safety it brings more taste because in the jar of beans (for example) you can slide garlic, onions, in short everything that can give good taste in addition to what freezing does not offer

for security I opted for 2 small freezers instead of a large one, but when the 2 are full, well there is more security : Mrgreen:

freezing is Top level saving time, garden, washing, wiping, sachet, freezing, I would have to compare it with additional bleaching to see what it brings, if it's better, it's worth it
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/09/18, 10:17

Moindreffor wrote:
chatelot16 wrote:the problem of the freezer is that in case of power failure we lose everything

for security I opted for 2 small freezers instead of a large one, but when the 2 are full, well there is more security : Mrgreen:
The number of freezers does not change the risk of power failure, unless you have 2 freezers in two different cities : Mrgreen:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 04/09/18, 11:24

Gaston wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

The number of freezers does not change the risk of power failure, unless you have 2 freezers in two different cities : Mrgreen:

uh, yes, well done, I meant in case of breakdown of the device, and actually I have my family not far away, so in case, I can move some of the food,

but I live at the foot of the transformer : Mrgreen: So unless there is a real major power outage, I'm fine : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 04/09/18, 12:31

Thanks again to everyone,

Did67 wrote:[With my advances on copyright, I bought myself a mega chest freezer of over 400 l, A +++ or a little over 250 kWh / year according to standards; around forty hours of autonomy in the event of a power cut (this is the "extension" of my vegetable garden)]

I come back to this point:

I suppose that a 40h autonomy means that, thanks to the insulation, a maximum interior temperature is maintained (without opening)?

But this temperature must still rise (more or less quickly depending on the surrounding temperature) ...

Do you know at what interior temperature threshold the integrity of the content is preserved?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/09/18, 15:39

Perseus wrote:
Ha I am interested to know what you use in ice machine (PM if you prefer to avoid advertising).

Without advertising, it is this kind of "chinoiserie" that works surprisingly (and loudly). Until when ???

Suddenly, an orgy of pure fruit "sorbets", without added sugar (it is sometimes a little fruity in taste!), According to two methods:

a) frozen fruit as it is, machine-passed

b) "mash" of red fruits, seeded, frozen in ice cube trays, machine-washed ...

https://www.mathon.fr/cat-electromenage ... #ectrans=1
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/09/18, 15:47

AD 44 wrote:
I come back to this point:

I suppose that a 40h autonomy means that, thanks to the insulation, a maximum interior temperature is maintained (without opening)?

But this temperature must still rise (more or less quickly depending on the surrounding temperature) ...

Do you know at what interior temperature threshold the integrity of the content is preserved?

Yes, it is without opening. And with a sort of cooler-style "block" on top.

On the other hand, I do not know what is the tolerated temperature: the thaw, I suppose, so a few degrees below zero ????

For the safety :

a) freezer breakdowns are exceptional (the one I had before, and which is always "in reserve", had been bought by my parents when I was about fifteen; I am 65; it works perfectly ... It was before planned obsolescence)

b) sector outages become more frequent, with storms, floods, the network which sometimes ages, etc. This is a risk against which I must protect myself (also because my pellet boiler requires electricity), therefore the purchase of a generator is planned (which will also allow me to use my electric shredder without connection). With the copyright of the second book ???
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/09/18, 15:48

AD 44 wrote:Do you know at what interior temperature threshold the integrity of the content is preserved?
According to ISO 15502, it's -9 ° C.

Digital wrote :The figure indicated on the technical sheet of a refrigerator is obtained by freezing packages of different sizes (ersatz food) which contain sensors. Once the temperature is -18 ° C, the power to the freezer / refrigerator is cut, and the stopwatch runs until a sensor reports a temperature of -9 ° C.
[...]
The test must take place at 25 ° C, except for the tropical climatic zone (T) models, which must then undergo the test at an ambient temperature of 32 ° C.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/09/18, 15:51

AD 44 wrote:

Like everything that is natural, there is no precise threshold, like "before, it is preserved; after, it is dead" ... It is more or less well preserved. At -18 ° C, there are times compared to the different foods - which I rarely respect! - and in particular with respect to oxidations, which are not stopped. The bacteria, they are frozen when it is frozen. No more liquid water. More active life (even if there is survival).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/09/18, 15:54

Gaston wrote:
AD 44 wrote:Do you know at what interior temperature threshold the integrity of the content is preserved?
According to ISO 15502, it's -9 ° C.

Digital wrote :The figure indicated on the technical sheet of a refrigerator is obtained by freezing packages of different sizes (ersatz food) which contain sensors. Once the temperature is -18 ° C, the power to the freezer / refrigerator is cut, and the stopwatch runs until a sensor reports a temperature of -9 ° C.
[...]
The test must take place at 25 ° C, except for the tropical climatic zone (T) models, which must then undergo the test at an ambient temperature of 32 ° C.

Ah perfect. It is more severe than I thought.

At home, the duration will be much longer, since it is in the "laundry room", where it is + 12 ° C in winter. I must therefore gain about twenty% in duration ...
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 04/09/18, 18:17

Of course all your answers give ideas about optimizing the use of photovoltaics in self-consumption ... : Mrgreen:
0 x