Attack of caterpillars on my cabbages!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ollaf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Attack of caterpillars on my cabbages!

by Ollaf » 27/06/18, 12:27

After the slugs the caterpillars .....

I planted 4 varieties of cabbages (flower / cabus / Brussels / broccoli) two weeks ago, I noticed attacks during my daily passages and put this on the back of these damn slugs ^^ but that néni (in passing I experienced a slug invasion a month ago and since then nothing), beautiful little green caterpillars that I gently crushed between my fingers last night, tedious work because to pass each sheets recto verso on 24 seedlings it is long :) .

In short I think I will continue to go around my cabbage for a few days in search of these voracious little beasts.
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: cabbage attack

by guibnd » 27/06/18, 13:27

Ollaf wrote:After the slugs the caterpillars .....

I planted 4 varieties of cabbages (flower / cabus / Brussels / broccoli) two weeks ago, I noticed attacks during my daily passages and put this on the back of these damn slugs ^^ but that néni (in passing I experienced a slug invasion a month ago and since then nothing), beautiful little green caterpillars that I gently crushed between my fingers last night, tedious work because to pass each sheets recto verso on 24 seedlings it is long :) .

In short I think I will continue to go around my cabbage for a few days in search of these voracious little beasts.

yes you're right, do not put everything on the back slugs!
the cabbage pieride will start to chew our cabbage, now that you talk about it, I did not tilt Sunday but I saw 2 or 3 white butterflies cream / pale yellow fly near the cabbages.
I'm going for a tour tonight to unmask the possible caterpillars because when they start to work, they quickly do damage ...
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
perseus
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by perseus » 27/06/18, 16:30

Hello,

Last September, when I returned from my holiday 10j, I noticed a carnage in my cabbages because of the pillar.

Big cleaning of caterpillars by hand
I did not hesitate to release the BT
Jet cleaning of droppings and other dirt.

Some of them have been lost but I had to do a lot of the damaged areas when making the homemade fermented cabbage.
I would be more vigilant this year if I see butterfly : Lol:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/06/18, 17:36

Indeed ! It happens.

I have no problem with "Bt" (Bacillus thuryngiensis).

Two years ago, I had a fairly severe stroke; I took two days to go down to town to buy the product (based on "Bt"); he still remained one or two days posed; before going to treat, I told myself that I was going to see if it was still worth the trouble, and surprise: no more a caterpillar, everything is clean ...

I think the hornets did the job. There are quite a few here. The groves are full of dead trees or trees with dead branches ... It is easier for them to catch a caterpillar than a flying bee!

The European Hornet is a valuable helper! Give him a water point. He is not aggressive. And unlike a stubborn legend, it is no more dangerous than bees. Except, in both cases, if you are allergic - and that, we do not know in advance!

Asian is much more aggressive.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/06/18, 23:31

Did67 wrote:Indeed ! It happens.

I have no problem with "Bt" (Bacillus thuryngiensis).

Two years ago, I had a fairly severe stroke; I took two days to go down to town to buy the product (based on "Bt"); he still remained one or two days posed; before going to treat, I told myself that I was going to see if it was still worth the trouble, and surprise: no more a caterpillar, everything is clean ...

I think the hornets did the job. There are quite a few here. The groves are full of dead trees or trees with dead branches ... It is easier for them to catch a caterpillar than a flying bee!

The European Hornet is a valuable helper! Give him a water point. He is not aggressive. And unlike a stubborn legend, it is no more dangerous than bees. Except, in both cases, if you are allergic - and that, we do not know in advance!

Asian is much more aggressive.

Exact, previously in the Vaucluse we had a lot.

And one day a nest settled in a hole of the wall at 2m from the entrance of the kitchen.

Cohabitation without any problem.

The only problem with the hornets: nocturnal light .... pfffff

There they do anything.

If you are outside on the terrace in the summer it's not very pleasant because they have a disordered flight and fall a little anywhere.
But strangely, they only come to annoy one or two individuals, but every night.

Once the individual is eliminated we are quiet or almost
0 x