Request for advice concerning: composting, watering, rotation and manure nettle ....

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
BEABA
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Request for advice concerning: composting, watering, rotation and manure nettle ....

by BEABA » 10/03/17, 15:36

Bonjour,

A beautiful meeting that this "lazy man's vegetable garden" ...
Understand the why and the how of what we do ..!
No blah ... clear and supported explanations and concrete practice live.
What happiness !!!

So I am starting my lazy vegetable garden, I watched a good number of videos but I did not find any information concerning:

WATERING: the best watering method? only water the furrows or also the hay cover?
CROP ROTATION: as the soil is constantly fed with hay, should it still be rotated?
NETTLE PURIN .....: what use should be reserved for it?
And finally I did not fully understand why THE COMPOST was of no use !!
Can I then simply throw my kitchen waste under the layer of hay and this in all seasons ????

Thank you for your answers
cordially
Beatrice
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Asking for advice regarding: composting, watering, rotating and nettle slurry ....

by Ahmed » 10/03/17, 16:53

I will try to answer your questions (I am also cardiac! : Lol: ).
1- In general, the way of watering depends a lot on the type of soil and there is no single solution. In the particular case which interests us, culture under mulch, less evaporation limits the inflow of water and the mycelial networks distribute the resources spatially; another factor is that the water must pass through the cover. It results from these various characteristics that the watering can be done on the line, preferably with a low pressure and a relatively large flow (a too divided jet would wet only the top of the cover, which is of no interest) of way to reach the ground.
2- The soil organisms are constantly nourished => fertility, but the needs of the vegetables differ, so it is necessary to practice a certain alternation. In addition, fabaceae (beans, broad beans, peas ...) provide nitrogen which will be welcome on other vegetables ...
3- Nettle manure is to be reserved for occasional boosting, but is useless if all goes well. The cut nettles can advantageously be incorporated into mulching ...
4- Composting is an arbitrary delocalization of the digestion of raw organic matter: energy is wasted by specific bacteria, while spread on the ground it contributes to nourish all the organisms in the ground. This is total nonsense, insofar as we seek to feed the organisms in the soil which will then nourish the plants, while the product of composting aims to directly feed the plant, as the conventional farmer does through fertilizers. chemical ... By composting we give up making this dynamic, which is not only nutritional, to function.
5- Yes!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Asking for advice regarding: composting, watering, rotating and nettle slurry ....

by izentrop » 10/03/17, 17:06

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/03/17, 17:44

There, you abuse a little, Béa!
You say you don't like blah-blah, but there is still a useful minimum and videos do not replace the forum.
Thank you Izentrop for the link, it also seemed to me that these questions had been answered ... : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 10/03/17, 17:52

The essential is said!

For watering, in Alsace, in 2014 and 2016 I did not water, except for a few transplants in summer.

When I water, I water in two ways:

- for sowing in furrows: a pipe with integrated drippers every 30 cm, placed in the bottom of the furrow

- for vegetables planted at a distance, through hay, such as tomatoes, eggplants, I have individual drippers, at the end of thin pipes, themselves connected to larger pipes (this can be found in a kit in DIY stores ); the drippers are adjustable ...

What is important is to cover in order to limit losses and to nourish the fungi, which form networks that feed the plants (thus providing woody substances).

For the rotation, I would add:

a) if some plants come back on themselves without difficulty (corn, tomato), others seem "allergic" to themselves; they emit secretions into the soil; it is a mechanism comparable to allelopathy (which could be called autopathy!) [it is a distant heritage of mechanisms pushing plants to disseminate instead of staying in one place!]

b) the majority of parasites are specific; no need to tempt the devil by putting the same species in the same place when there is no need ...

So I start "rotations", without making a whole nervous poo. I do not put a plant x where it was the year before (except tomatoes, for which I am building a specific shelter).

On the compost, I answered elsewhere. Compost is not "bad" or "harmful". It is simply an incredible waste, a missed opportunity to feed the organisms in the garden (not those in the heap, which do not help us). It's like throwing money out the window - it doesn't hurt, but it's a shame ...

Now, if the way to make a sloth's vegetable garden is simple, the mechanisms are very complex. At some point, if you want to understand, you have to "stuff" the 400 pages of the thread where the essentials are explained. Or wait for the publication of my book, maybe in a year (???). But it will be 150 pages - and again, I'm simplifying. Some are difficult ... Life in the ground is extremely complex. Work with even more! And you have to start by forgetting just about everything you've been told, everything you believe, everything you are convinced of. Well almost.

Or choose to remain "turkey" and get advice from Botanic. They will have all the miracle products to make an "organic" garden according to them (which generates them a maximum of profit, hey, how curious!).

A "lazy gardener" is not a "grower of plants", he is an "underground breeder of organisms", who in turn cultivate plants. This upsets the benchmarks. For example, you just have to try to feed a guinea pig or a rabbit with compost to understand why you have to throw waste in the garden!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/03/17, 18:33

BABA wrote:B

NETTLE PURIN .....: what use should be reserved for it?

Beatrice

As said elsewhere: I don't get tired of doing it and get very good results ... so why would I tire myself ??? Therefore, indeed, it is not in the Vegetable Garden of the Sloth! No more than compost. No more than Bordeaux mixture. No more than the grelinette ... and what do I know.

It is perhaps important to remember the objective: to produce a lot of vegetables, "more than organic", by making the minimum of efforts ... The objective is not to do this or that because others do. Or because someone wrote that it's wonderful. Or because "we say that ...". Or because grandmother ...

As said by ahmed, nettle being rich in minerals, we can put it on the surface so that it nourishes the system ... Tear off with gloves, throw away ... That's all!
0 x