Everything about potatoes for 2021

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Everything about potatoes for 2021

by alkaline » 09/08/21, 22:50

Biobombe wrote:
Alkaline wrote:Is this mildew?

It's not mildew. The holes in the leaves are either due to a predator-insect, but not sure whether it is the Colorado beetle, or powdery mildew.
In my opinion it's okay because it looks like the foot is ripe. So qq little devoid of defense.

Ah yes the holes are the work of slugs I still have hundreds of mini grays in the cool under the hay. I wanted to talk about black spots. Yes powdery mildew.

I harvested the vittabella, the pdr are very beautiful but almost anecdotal yield: no more than 3 tubers per plant or between 300 and 400g per plant :|

I'm not complaining too much because at least I didn't throw anything away. I'm waiting to see the bintje ... harvest when I return from vacation.
0 x
it depends
Did67

by Did67 » 11/08/21, 12:54

Agrees :

- the holes, it is not the Colorado beetle, which attacks from the edges; but there are 36 "hole diggers"; it could for example be this (so flea beetles): http://ephytia.inra.fr/fr/D/7120
(or not)

- the spots are not mildew, which "burns" large parts and then the entire leaf; it could be this: http://ephytia.inra.fr/fr/D/7158

For the holes, I wouldn't worry. Up to 25% loss of foliage, on the pot, does not necessarily lead to yield losses.

And for the spots, if it is a deficiency, it is too late! Only a soil (or foliage) analysis would provide more certainty ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/08/21, 12:56

Alkaline wrote:
Ah yes the holes are the work of slugs.

I forgot. But indeed, they are serious candidates. I have them regularly on my pdt ...
1 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 14/09/21, 23:39

All the pdt are out here, must be quick before the rain. The Agria are nickel. But the small to medium format is lacking. Fairly good resistance of the foliage to mildew. The tubers are unharmed, phew. I'll do a tof occasionally.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 15/09/21, 07:54

Here I still have potatoes under the hay, which are doing very well, no diseases, nothing at all. Fairly regularly I harvest new potatoes, it's nice. Otherwise it is a year with average yield, but between the early crops, which I had in early April, the summer harvest which is prolonged, because plants affected by late blight have found a second youth, and my late ones, it there is something to eat. A little less in quantity than in 2020, question of quality and taste on the other hand, it is very good.
2 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 15/09/21, 22:41

Doris wrote:Here I still have potatoes under the hay, which are doing very well, no diseases, nothing at all. Fairly regularly I harvest new potatoes, it's nice. Otherwise it is a year with average yield, but between the early crops, which I had in early April, the summer harvest which is prolonged, because plants affected by late blight have found a second youth, and my late ones, it there is something to eat. A little less in quantity than in 2020, question of quality and taste on the other hand, it is very good.

Which varieties please? Bought or yours from 2020? All under hay?
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 16/09/21, 08:15

I have two varieties purchased, primlady and rosabella, and two from my 2020 harvest, spunta and delicacy. For the latter, I did not make a selection, it was tubers that germinated in the cellar. I put them at the end of January under 50 cm of hay, and I added at the beginning of March wintering veil and greenhouse cover. I produce my potatoes exclusively like this, under hay, with some additional mowing, when I have some. This year I did less area, in 2020 I had too much, I gave it to a lot of people, this year there is enough for both of us. I haven't calculated the yield per m2 yet, but I'm definitely below 2020, but at this point it's difficult to determine, I haven't finished harvesting.
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 16/09/21, 23:25

Doris wrote:
primalady

But you still have them in the ground, they are hasty, right? And still in shape? You will tell me if the tubers are really round.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 17/09/21, 11:55

Biobombe wrote:
Doris wrote:
primalady

But you still have them in the ground, they are hasty, right? And still in shape? You will tell me if the tubers are really round.

Yes, I still have a few active plants in the vegetable garden, and they are in good shape. Small regular crops of tubers of different sizes, and well rounded. These are plants that were hit hard by late blight in July, and when I wanted to free the place to put it back into cultivation, I noticed that there were plenty of new leaves. I left, but without any treatment. Now there are feet that are faded, but it's not totally over.
1 x
Edmond Rostand
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/09/21, 01:44

Doris wrote:I have two varieties purchased, primlady and rosabella, and two from my 2020 harvest, spunta and delicacy. For the latter, I did not make a selection, it was tubers that germinated in the cellar. I put them at the end of January under 50 cm of hay, and I added at the beginning of March wintering veil and greenhouse cover. I produce my potatoes exclusively like this, under hay, with some additional mowing, when I have some. This year I did less area, in 2020 I had too much, I gave it to a lot of people, this year there is enough for both of us. I haven't calculated the yield per m2 yet, but I'm definitely below 2020, but at this point it's difficult to determine, I haven't finished harvesting.

If you have pictures of your rosabella and spunta I am interested because it is likely to be my choice for 2022.
0 x