Everything about potatoes for 2021

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Everything about potatoes for 2021

by Did67 » 03/08/21, 18:34

jft78 wrote:At the Olympic Games of the PdT, I would not have had a medal!
30 to 40% of the production thrown away, potatoes completely rotten (like liquid mash) under the hay, especially the big ones.
PdT Bernadette, plans bought in a garden center, planted under hay at the beginning of April. The aerial part of the shots was superb, but after the heavy rains of July 12/13, the foliage had somewhat disappeared with traces of mildew (dark spots on the leaves). But the stems had remained relatively green and firm, so I was pretty confident.
I expected to find "marked" tubers but not as many ravaged and also found apparently healthy potatoes (often smaller) right next to other rotten ones on the same footing.
Perhaps I should have intervened earlier, as early as July 14?
The devastation of late blight on tomatoes, I knew, but first experience for PdT (if it is mildew?).
It remains for me to closely monitor the conservation of what I have been able to save.

The potatoes rotten like mash, it is not the mildew but rather bacterial rots ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 03/08/21, 20:37

Did67 wrote:
jft78 wrote:At the Olympic Games of the PdT, I would not have had a medal!
30 to 40% of the production thrown away, potatoes completely rotten (like liquid mash) under the hay, especially the big ones.
PdT Bernadette, plans bought in a garden center, planted under hay at the beginning of April. The aerial part of the shots was superb, but after the heavy rains of July 12/13, the foliage had somewhat disappeared with traces of mildew (dark spots on the leaves). But the stems had remained relatively green and firm, so I was pretty confident.
I expected to find "marked" tubers but not as many ravaged and also found apparently healthy potatoes (often smaller) right next to other rotten ones on the same footing.
Perhaps I should have intervened earlier, as early as July 14?
The devastation of late blight on tomatoes, I knew, but first experience for PdT (if it is mildew?).
It remains for me to closely monitor the conservation of what I have been able to save.

The potatoes rotten like mash, it is not the mildew but rather bacterial rots ...

I noticed that in my house the rotten potatoes of the interior as you describe have a whole small hole maybe the entrance of the infection made by something, some pest, on the other hand it quickly turns all black
and it is indeed especially the biggest, like what, wanting to have the biggest is not always a winner : Mrgreen:

in addition it begins with the heart which seems to liquefy, then I find some affected, it starts then it spreads in the shape of a star, then that by becoming more and more black
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 03/08/21, 21:37

Moindreffor wrote:
Did67 wrote:

I noticed that in my house the rotten potatoes of the interior as you describe have a whole small hole maybe the entrance of the infection made by something, some pest, on the other hand it quickly turns all black
and it is indeed especially the biggest, like what, wanting to have the biggest is not always a winner : Mrgreen:

in addition it begins with the heart which seems to liquefy, then I find some affected, it starts then it spreads in the shape of a star, then that by becoming more and more black

If it's bacterial, can it come directly from the plants or from a pest, or from a disease "just" developed because of the high humidity over a long period of time?
I find it hard to say if there was a small hole, the PdT were so "liquefied". The interior was still white, the skin brown.
Indeed, as noted above by Doris, I should have taken pictures.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 04/08/21, 00:44

Moindreffor wrote:I noticed that in my house the rotten potatoes of the interior as you describe have a whole small hole maybe the entrance of the infection made by something, some pest, on the other hand it quickly turns all black

Yes, I had small holes it's true, and I had, from memory, found small worms where larvae, but it's always the same: little loss = insignificant in the eyes of a sloth = no photo , no note, nothing at all
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 04/08/21, 16:30

Moindreffor wrote:

in addition it begins with the heart which seems to liquefy, then I find some affected, it starts then it spreads in the shape of a star, then that by becoming more and more black [/ quote]

Often, the small "black" galleries are the holes of wireworm larvae.

Wet years are of course blessed for bacteria!

https://www.iriisphytoprotection.qc.ca/ ... ageId=8855
0 x
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 04/08/21, 19:46

I see the same problem. First brown spots and already rotten parts and in eight days, it is the disaster. On 30 kg I threw almost everything.
This morning I continue the harvest (charlotte). and surprise no problem on those that I pick up which are however just next door, some of which are well eaten by mole rats.
A little further on, potatoes grown under a layer of hay, also a charlotte variety, I don't see any problem.
All that weird.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 04/08/21, 22:30

Last pot of the 2020 harvest, Agria. Proof is that they keep for 1 year by taking only a few wrinkles. Excellent again this day mashed. The welding is done.
DSC03101.JPG
0 x
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 05/08/21, 18:08

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

Often, the small "black" galleries are the holes of wireworm larvae.

Wet years are of course blessed for bacteria!

https://www.iriisphytoprotection.qc.ca/ ... ageId=8855[/ Quote]

Thank you Didier for the link. Very informative !
I found two copies that had not yet been discarded. And so photo below.
Attachments
IMG_20210805_165925_1.jpg
IMG_20210805_165546_3.jpg
0 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 07/08/21, 22:12

Is this mildew?
Black spots on the leaves?
20210804_163713.jpg
0 x
it depends
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 07/08/21, 22:51

Alkaline wrote:Is this mildew?

It's not mildew. The holes in the leaves are either due to a predator-insect, but not sure whether it is the Colorado beetle, or powdery mildew.
In my opinion it's okay because it looks like the foot is ripe. So qq little devoid of defense.
0 x