Everything about potatoes for 2021

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Everything about potatoes for 2021

by Biobomb » 29/07/21, 23:29

jardama wrote:that's it, I ordered potassium bicarbonate at the address given by GuyGadebois

In Gougle, if we type: Buy bicarbonate of potassium, we find other sellers.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/07/21, 00:18

Biobombe wrote:
I am in spite of myself. Below is the result of plants received as a gift by Baumaux.

Not without a label all the same? So without the name of the variety?

It looks like an Andean Horn (or one of its derivatives).

I don't think the "gift" is for handing out shit. It's just that they have to offer what they have in excess. And the fashions pass ... Maybe too many Cornue in stock ??? They did not know that the year would be wet all the same ...

Unfortunately, unlike the pdt, where one finds sheets with scoring of resistance to diseases, I do not know of reliable sources for tomatoes ... But with perhaps one exception, the "old varieties" are rather fragile. In tests, hybrids do the best.

Here is Denis Pépin's blog, which cannot be suspected of being "pro-chemistry" or "pro-intensive agriculture": https://www.jardindespepins.fr/des-toma ... gustative/

This is also my opinion.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 31/07/21, 11:22

Forhorse wrote:the tubers do not keep (often in December they are so germinated that they are no longer edible)

This undoubtedly depends on the climate or the predators and therefore difficult to reproduce, but I leave them in the ground (well under the hay) and they keep perfectly for a year with low losses.

Maybe, if no predators or unsuitable climate, a test on a few?
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 31/07/21, 11:38

Did67 wrote:
Not without a label all the same? So without the name of the variety?

It looks like an Andean Horn (or one of its derivatives).

Well seen Didier.
I did not give its name because it is an HF1 and moreover it is grafted! and maybe also for a "woke" reason.
However, she should have resisted a lot of illnesses.

https://www.graines-baumaux.fr/272616-t ... kongo.html
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 31/07/21, 22:44

All the hasty pdts were taken out, mostly Gwennies. They still have to be dried / re-wiped. Very good performance, despite the MTO.
But some tubers had sunk deep enough and had migrated to the right and left of their original location.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/08/21, 10:42

Biobombe wrote:
I did not give its name because it is an HF1 and moreover it is grafted! and maybe also for a "woke" reason.
However, she should have resisted a lot of illnesses.

https://www.graines-baumaux.fr/272616-t ... kongo.html

Alas, not resistant to mildew ! "Full of diseases" is useless if you don't have them !!!

HR = Highly Resistant to (which is listed next)
Fol = Fusarium (the different strains)
Pf A to E = Cladosporiosis (strains A to E)
ToMV = Tomato Mosaic Virus
Va = a Verticilium
Vd = another Verticilium

IR = Intermediate Resistance
Ma, Mi, Mj = nematodes
Ss = Stmephyliosis

TO = Tolerance to (to be checked)
TSWV = other virus disease

No resistance to late blight reported (coded Pi - for Phytophtora infestans). The result you observed is therefore consistent! HF1 does not mean "miracle" and systematic tolerance to mildew !!! But among the HF1, we have some of the highest resistance to mildew.

View: https://www.graines-baumaux.fr/170314-t ... stria.html

Among the intermediate resistors (IR), there is, for Maestria, Pi! This therefore means "a certain resistance" - which is not absolute ... I only have one foot of Maestria, which is still standing (except "tomato shelter"!).
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 01/08/21, 23:12

Did67 wrote:
there is, for Maestria, Pi! This therefore means "a certain resistance" - which is not absolute ... I only have one foot of Maestria, which is still standing (except "tomato shelter"!).

Since the Maestria was marketed for amateurs, I do a lot of it every year. Rarely disappointed. Suppliers: Baumuche and Voltz.
I also brought seeds from Germany. Same.
For 2 years I have been testing a clone of it, the Elvirado. For the moment, RAS.
But how is it that the latter is cheaper than the Maestria?
0 x
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 03/08/21, 10:50

At the Olympic Games of the PdT, I would not have had a medal!
30 to 40% of the production thrown away, potatoes completely rotten (like liquid mash) under the hay, especially the big ones.
PdT Bernadette, plans bought in a garden center, planted under hay at the beginning of April. The aerial part of the shots was superb, but after the heavy rains of July 12/13, the foliage had somewhat disappeared with traces of mildew (dark spots on the leaves). But the stems had remained relatively green and firm, so I was pretty confident.
I expected to find "marked" tubers but not as many ravaged and also found apparently healthy potatoes (often smaller) right next to other rotten ones on the same footing.
Perhaps I should have intervened earlier, as early as July 14?
The devastation of late blight on tomatoes, I knew, but first experience for PdT (if it is mildew?).
It remains for me to closely monitor the conservation of what I have been able to save.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 03/08/21, 14:10

jft78 wrote:At the Olympic Games of the PdT, I would not have had a medal!

Neither do I. And besides, it is not a competition, fortunately, nor my profession. When I look at the summer crops in my vegetable garden, it's very strange, it's quite true, but I see that among professionals it is not better. My organic market gardener friend from the village next door collects tomatoes in a tunnel greenhouse, but he was a big month behind last year. These tomatoes are eaten, it's nice, but the taste is not really like last year, and he says it himself (of course he does not shout it from the rooftops, but he does not hide no more). The same goes for potatoes: yield much lower than last year, but of good quality. He is doing well because he has diversified his crops a lot, so he has other very nice vegetables that are better suited to the weather this year.
Ditto with the big producers: I work in catering, we don't buy the high-end, but we don't take the low-end either, and well, not so good potatoes, neither tomatoes, that's how it is. must do with.
Regarding the symptoms that you describe on your sick potatoes: without a photo difficult to judge, but is it really the late blight, last year I had a few tubers as you say, like liquid mash, but I had no mildew at all.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 03/08/21, 14:52

Doris wrote:
jft78 wrote:At the Olympic Games of the PdT, I would not have had a medal!

Neither do I. And besides, it is not a competition, fortunately, nor my profession. When I look at the summer crops in my vegetable garden, it's very strange, it's quite true, but I see that among professionals it is not better. My organic market gardener friend from the village next door collects tomatoes in a tunnel greenhouse, but he was a big month behind last year. These tomatoes are eaten, it's nice, but the taste is not really like last year, and he says it himself (of course he does not shout it from the rooftops, but he does not hide no more). The same goes for potatoes: yield much lower than last year, but of good quality. He is doing well because he has diversified his crops a lot, so he has other very nice vegetables that are better suited to the weather this year.
Ditto with the big producers: I work in catering, we don't buy the high-end, but we don't take the low-end either, and well, not so good potatoes, neither tomatoes, that's how it is. must do with.
Regarding the symptoms that you describe on your sick potatoes: without a photo difficult to judge, but is it really the late blight, last year I had a few tubers as you say, like liquid mash, but I had no mildew at all.

Ah yes, okay for the competition. It was just a little nod to sports news : Cheesy:
And indeed, I am also wondering about mildew.
I had already had mildew on tomato plants, the stems were badly attacked, almost burnt. Here the stems are still green.
0 x