Agriculture: under semi covered, semi-direct and TCS

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/08/08, 09:57

Regarding TCS and direct seeding, I have to add some clarification.

These techniques are still a small minority in France, but is widely practiced in a lot of countries, especially in South America.
Why there? Not for environmental concerns, alas, but because the European type of agriculture has proven disastrous and inapplicable in this climate and in these soils.
In my opinion, classical agriculture is also fundamentally unfavorable in our climate, but in the long term, this explains why new techniques take longer to spread here.

Although generally very favorable to this evolution, I must make a few remarks.

- In the countries of South America, the growth of this technology allowed to cultivate soil taken from the forest, thereby contributing to deforestation; On the other hand, the use of glyphosate herbicides has expanded greatly to remove the cover before planting. It is also in this context that are developed GM crops.

- Same remark in France regarding the use of this herbicide, even if, overall, as has already been pointed out, the amount of herbicide products is much lower than in conventional farming.

- BASIC association, which is behind this video is not only concerned about the reduction in farm costs, but takes full account of the environmental responsibility of farmers and work for a reduction of chemical inputs. We must salute their desire to spread these techniques.

@ Minguinhirigue:
I have already had the opportunity to show this little film to farmers who are quite surprised, but too accustomed to their usual practice to consider changing (close to retirement).

More generally, obstacles, other than psychological, are of two kinds, material and intellectual.

- If the CHT only involve the implementation of a classic material, direct seeding requires a special drill representing a significant investment.

- Ploughing represents an easy way to catch many errors. With no-till methods, management is much more sharp and demanding. This requires greater technical, I do not consider it a disadvantage, quite the opposite, as it revalues ​​the farming profession.

It should be understood that if for many city dwellers, agriculture rhymes with freedom, the reality is quite different. There is no such thing as an "independent" profession subject to so many constraints: framed by the administrative requirements governing premiums, by cooperatives and their technicians who tell them what to sow, how to do it, what treatments to apply and at what time, what price receive, they do not have much space left for personal initiative. We can better understand the reluctance to these innovations.

@ C moa:
@ Ahmed:
... I understand better some comments on other posts.

I am very satisfied: It is true that the consistency of a part must be assessed in relation to a larger whole. It is the opposite that causes usually my critics: consider only small suites reasoning, apparently rigorously logical, but, based on the totality of the problem only lead to absurdities.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 25/08/08, 08:27

A question for those who are more familiar with the subject.
I remember when my cousin wanted to take over the farm from his parents, he had to pass diplomas (BTS if I remember correctly).
Do you know if these techniques are taught ??

Indeed, if presented to a young person to do this is to have a beautiful land any clean, the message will still be difficult to pass.
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 09/12/09, 13:19

@ C moa:

I do not think that these techniques be taught otherwise than through continuing education. The agricultural schools are slow to make levels, INRA until very little away agronomists that suggested depleted soil (such as Claude Bourguignon) ...

By cons, several associations, such as Kokopelli, the Amanins, BASE, and many others offer internships and exchanges, accessible to all, both during training students as beginners or professionals ...

I allow you to add a very interesting supplementary document on peasant agriculture and its ability to feed the world: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pxv7 ... anete_news
_ _

Otherwise, Ahmed, I agree with you, changes in the agricultural sector are slow, major investments, pointed managements (though it is mainly a matter of habit in my opinion ...) and brakes are as much psychological as physical.

Good luck to all who are struggling in these directions.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/12/09, 14:12

minguinhirigue wrote:@ C moa:

I do not think that these techniques be taught otherwise than through continuing education. The agricultural schools are slow to make levels, INRA until very little away agronomists that suggested depleted soil (such as Claude Bourguignon) ...

Think again guys!

Not only agricultural high schools talk about it, but there are ongoing attempts to objectify the results.

With us, a few years of results. I must see with the COO, I do not remember how me till comparison, TCS and classic work on a normal rotation us ...

Did you know that celebrated the 20 years of training (adult, it is true) in agriculture bidoynamique ???

Bourguignon made a conf there are many 7 or 8 years (memory always) ...

Preconceptions die hard! Or abusive generalizations ...
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 09/12/09, 14:30

Hello,
I have the quote this reference but do a little wakeup call (in times of flu) did not hurt:
The revolution of a single straw: An introduction to the wild Agriculture Masanobu Fukuoka
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 09/12/09, 17:23

Did67 much for me ... I had not heard of this kind of work in schools, and I go to a higher education or I stay on my hunger really in terms of low-cost methods ...

you adult during echoes in Alsace on this?

@ Renaud67, thank you for the wakeup call, Fukuoka remains a true benchmark for a lot and I still have not taken the time to read, must I make it up. : Cheesy:
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 13/01/10, 14:00

catch made ...

The revolution of a single strand of straw is pleasant ... Very informative ... Only the spiritual part is ... disturbing.

The vision of the great unity ... the relationship of anything any more ... that is derived from a double translation (Japanese to English to French), make Zen philosophy reviewed by Fukuoka something a little weird for a European ...

But the central question he poses to all human activities is essential:
"How do we do our daily chores while letting nature do most of the effort?" As it always has done for centuries it seems to remind us ...
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"