A vegetable lazy Sarthe

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Return to posts index Reply Like Re: A lazy vegetable garden in Sarthe

by Stef72 » 29/08/18, 11:38

hello the phenocultors,

little update, in the garden of the lazy sarthois, not much happened this summer, just a few pumpkins, a watermelon ("sugar baby" variety). Taken by other projects I have not launched anything else, and my insufficient hay covers are invaded ...

that doesn't stop me from harvesting fruit, canned peaches and preparing plums for the freezer:
peach_prunes.jpg

My next project is a tour of homemade apple juice, so we harvested with friends, I ordered a 69 liter press this summer, I will try to make a return here on the process. In the meantime, some pictures of the gear:
stock_apples.jpg

press.jpg

The idea is to:
- wash the apples and cut into 4
- grind with a manual apple grinder
- put in potato bags to place in the press
- filter / put the juice in an electric sterilizer to pasteurize (set to around 80 ° C)
- bottle directly with the small sterilizer tap in 1 liter capsule bottles (cleaned / sterilized just before)

I have successfully done this in the last two years, so this year we are increasing the quantities (we are going to do this with several) if a lot of juice I will try cider too ...

Have a nice day in your gardens!

Stef
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 29/08/18, 22:30

Happy man who has fruit trees ... : Wink: :!:
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/08/18, 09:12

nico239 wrote:Happy man who has fruit trees ... : Wink: :!:

I said to myself exactly the same thing yesterday when I came back with a bag of peaches and mirabelle plums from my father-in-law's
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 27/09/18, 09:34

hi feignasses!

Squash session on woven tarpaulin 2018

I just returned my squash, it was not phenoculture but I still show you that:
squash1.jpg

I installed them in a plot of my garden where I never cultivated. I left my neighbor's hens all along so that it would scratch a little, it was risky but the damage was ultimately quite limited ...

For the method, I simply put a woven tarp on the ground around April. In June I drilled holes, installed my plans for pottimarrons, butternutt and "sugar baby" watermelons. I watered only once at that time, then the squash managed on their own;) I would point out that the ground is very wet, this method would not necessarily work elsewhere as it is ...
When I picked yesterday, it looked like this:
squash2.jpg

The hens still tasted two pumpkins, but given the little work provided, I will not take it badly! :
squash3.jpg

Next step: remove the tarpaulin and staples to install them elsewhere ...
Notes: there have obviously been crosses (bees?), I hope that the green / yellow squash will still be good but I will be wary of the seeds ...

Apple juice 2018
74 bottles of juice obtained last Sunday (pasteurized in an electric sterilizer) in 5 pressed ... and we start again next Sunday ... very nice activity to carry out with friends and girlfriends, if that interests you I can explain the process, even if it has little to do with phenoculture ...

Good day to you all !
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/09/18, 11:05

Stef72 wrote:
Notes: there have obviously been crosses (bees?), I hope that the green / yellow squash will still be good but I will be wary of the seeds.

It is almost essential with cucurbits that are grown on a small space and in small number of feet. Pollinators pass from one species to another, from one variety to another ...

There is only one way to recover "reliable" seeds of cucurbits in such a "bazaar": before opening the female flowers, put them in a "gauze bandage" type bag; once the flower has opened, stealthily remove the pouch and hand pollen with pollen from the same plant (with a brush) and close again until the fruit begins to develop. There you will keep species and variety ...

[NB: seeds can be taken from "conventional" cucurbits: produced on large surfaces - melon fields for example - the pollen almost certainly comes from a flower of the same species / variety]
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/09/18, 11:13

Stef72 wrote:hi feignasses!

Squash session on woven tarpaulin 2018

I just returned my squash, it was not phenoculture but I still show you that:
squash1.jpg
I installed them in a plot of my garden where I never cultivated. I left my neighbor's hens all along so that it would scratch a little, it was risky but the damage was ultimately quite limited ...

For the method, I simply put a woven tarp on the ground around April. In June I drilled holes, installed my plans for pottimarrons, butternutt and "sugar baby" watermelons. I watered only once at that time, then the squash managed on their own;) I would point out that the ground is very wet, this method would not necessarily work elsewhere as it is ...
When I picked yesterday, it looked like this:
squash2.j

The hens still tasted two pumpkins, but given the little work provided, I will not take it badly! :
squash3.jpg

Next step: remove the tarpaulin and staples to install them elsewhere ...
Notes: there have obviously been crosses (bees?), I hope that the green / yellow squash will still be good but I will be wary of the seeds ...

Apple juice 2018
74 bottles of juice obtained last Sunday (pasteurized in an electric sterilizer) in 5 pressed ... and we start again next Sunday ... very nice activity to carry out with friends and girlfriends, if that interests you I can explain the process, even if it has little to do with phenoculture ...

Good day to you all !

Hi....

Ben woven tarpaulin you're even more lazy : Mrgreen: than me

Proven pro technique ...

It is for the insects that there is underneath that the woven tarp bothers me.

If we ignore this "insecticide" it is very practical

Here is the question: do earthworms suffer from the installation of a woven tarp?
1 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 27/09/18, 11:40

nico239 wrote:Hi....

Ben woven tarpaulin you're even more lazy : Mrgreen: than me

Proven pro technique ...

It is for the insects that there is underneath that the woven tarp bothers me.

Here is the question: do earthworms suffer from the installation of a woven tarp?

yes my goal was to plant without using additional hay, and as I had tarpaulin woven available ... when the insecticide or negative effect on earthworms, I do not know anything. .. I'm just going to try not to leave the tarp there too long, and move it ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/09/18, 12:15

nico239 wrote:It is for the insects that there is underneath that the woven tarp bothers me.

It is a "lesser evil", in the sense that it allows water and air to pass through ...

It is much less worse than the tiller ...

But if that does not kill the worms, which find water and air, it does not feed them ... It is therefore much worse, from the point of view of "feeding all your little world", than hay. Or even the straw!

But it is an excellent cover, waterproof to weeds ... So it allows to subdue them very quickly.

For me, it does not go beyond the "lesser evil". In particular to effortlessly "attack" a new vegetable patch. The "grass", including the "weeds", which is destroyed will then serve as food and decompose. But we must not push the plug!
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 27/09/18, 15:38

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:It is for the insects that there is underneath that the woven tarp bothers me.

It is a "lesser evil", in the sense that it allows water and air to pass through ...

It is much less worse than the tiller ...

But if that does not kill the worms, which find water and air, it does not feed them ... It is therefore much worse, from the point of view of "feeding all your little world", than hay. Or even the straw!

But it is an excellent cover, waterproof to weeds ... So it allows to subdue them very quickly.

For me, it does not go beyond the "lesser evil". In particular to effortlessly "attack" a new vegetable patch. The "grass", including the "weeds", which is destroyed will then serve as food and decompose. But we must not push the plug!

a little hay or straw under the tarp, before laying it?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 27/09/18, 15:50

Yes, we can combine like this, indeed. The worms will do better. And that will make some contributions by mineralization ...
0 x