A vegetable lazy in Charente-Maritime

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: A vegetable garden in Charente-Maritime

by to be chafoin » 30/05/18, 18:42

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:Yours is not ridiculous because .........

It is however stunted (lack of light): the back of your box is opaque.
To find out how much light a plant receives, imagine lying in its place. And look above, 360 ° around! A frame leaning against a wall: only 180 ° of light remains. Either half.
To be nuanced a little depending on the orientation (and therefore the sun).
But also according to the "competition" in the frame (density of plants).
For many plants, 50% "full day" light is more than enough for them. For others, it shows signs of fading.

: Arrow: Is etiolation necessarily a sign of lack of light?
: Arrow: The plants for which 50% of light is sufficient, are the plants "of undergrowth": red fruits, squash ...?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/05/18, 19:01

Yes, the etiolation indicates an excessive lengthening for lack of light ...

The sensitivity to lack of light is variable: tomatoes, for example, react a lot (they are not "nightshades" for nothing!); others less (cabbage, for example) ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 30/05/18, 23:36

Ok

Do you have ideal proportions?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/05/18, 09:24

No no. I am not a man of "standards" [the EU had indeed, for a few years, standardized the curvature of bananas!]. I can see this by eye ...

It is not very serious, in general. As soon as you transplant it outside, it stops, the plant develops normally. The lack of density on the bottom can just sometimes encourage rejections [like when cutting trees, neighbors see branches forming on the side of the light]
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 31/05/18, 09:45

Did67 wrote:Yes, the etiolation indicates an excessive lengthening for lack of light ...

There cannot be, for example, an excess of water which would block the usual photosynthesis? I thought I saw this on 2 squash plants recently ...
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 31/05/18, 11:04

Did67 wrote:It is not very serious, in general. As soon as you transplant it outside, it stops, the plant develops normally. The lack of density on the bottom can just sometimes encourage rejections [like when cutting trees, neighbors see branches forming on the side of the light]

You mean it doesn't matter if the plant is off to a bad start? I say that because I just bought promotional plants that are in poor condition. It's amazing how they treat plants in ... a garden center! It is a massacre: no water or flooded, diseases, shattered plants, lack of substrate ...
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 31/05/18, 11:05

I specify a small thing, the opening of the chassis is south (a few degrees), so sunlight level, it's not bad, but it's on, we can always do better : Mrgreen:
And the vegetable garden is partly shaded, a cherry tree makes shade partly, and in the evening the walnut tree which is in the west at the end of the day, I will try to take a photo to climb you.
Denis
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/05/18, 11:14

to be chafoin wrote:You mean it doesn't matter if the plant is off to a bad start? I say that because I just bought promotional plants that are in poor condition. It's amazing how they treat plants in ... a garden center! It is a massacre: no water or flooded, diseases, shattered plants, lack of substrate ...

In general, this is not a big deal, especially for plants from which the "fruits" are harvested. They quickly recover their health ... Ramify on the etiolated parts, etc ... I prefer these mistreated plants to the magnificent ones, of a dark green, doped up to the ears and which, not hardened enough, will make the mouth arrived in your garden because they do not receive their daily "doses"!

Stress can make salads rise faster, they suck less ... There, it is possibly a little more annoying.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/05/18, 11:18

to be chafoin wrote:There cannot be, for example, an excess of water which would block the usual photosynthesis? I thought I saw this on 2 squash plants recently ...

Excess water will not block photosynthesis.

On the other hand, it can suffocate the roots, which work less well.

As it can block nitrification by bacteria (aerobic). This sometimes gives plants a yellowish color ...
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 31/05/18, 12:26

Ok
1 : Arrow: that's a bit what I said to myself about commercial plants. The small blue granules found in the cups are fertilizer or metaldehyde?
2 : Arrow: in my case it's yellowing et of etiolation ... I transplanted, we will see if today is better!
0 x