A vegetable lazy in Charente-Maritime

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: A vegetable garden in Charente-Maritime

by denis17 » 22/04/18, 15:18

Small follow-up of the vegetable patch

IMG_20180419_195510.jpg

On this first photo, we can see that the garlic, onions and shallots are doing wonderfully, I currently estimate the success at more than 90%. On the other hand, right next to it, the row of beans is the opposite, with less than 10% of emergence, a mushroom is even grown in place of one of the bean locations.

IMG_20180419_195457.jpg

Then come the seedlings in the open ground, at this place, there was a thick layer of hay last year, and deprived this year, I sowed green fertilizers there. I poured on this plot the clippings of lawn, badly took me, since suddenly, I had to partially suffocate my seedlings.
I will see what it will give over time. In short, that did not stop me from including seedlings of radishes, leeks, peas, carrots, salad and green beans last week.
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 22/04/18, 18:15

And I forgot to tell you about the seedlings in pots.

IMG_20180419_195403.jpg

As a reminder, all the seeds of the tomato seedlings were soaked about 5/6 days before planting. All the seedlings raised in the photo are tomatoes, with varying success rate, there are 4 year old seeds, others 2 years old, all from donations. There are 6 different varieties. For the rest, "standard" sowing, the seeds were planted directly out of the bag, there is the, melon, zucchini, squash, eggplant, peppers, peppers, etc ...
Note that the seedlings were all placed in the external frame directly after planting.
Denis
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 12/05/18, 22:48

News from the vegetable patch, and good news since it's raining today, which means good and beautiful watering : Cheesy: .

IMG_20180511_211929.jpg

In this first photo, garlic, onions and shallots are doing wonderfully, moreover, the garlic is excellent (with crickets, in omelet, in salads ...), on the other hand, the result on the beans is catastrophic , when the reasons? I will say that only a quarter of the seeds have emerged, much worse than last year, suddenly, I am thinking of sowing in the fall, with local seeds that I think I can recover from neighbors, some under hay, and the second more "uncovered". At the top right we see onions left over from last year.

IMG_20180511_211920.jpg

Not much to say, the strawberries have been sheltered, at least for the birds : Wink: as for the slugs, it's less certain, there were some nibbled strawberries.

IMG_20180511_211901.jpg

A little more complicated on this view, on the far left there are radishes that have risen (the second series, the first having disappeared), on this line there is also carrot and salad, but nothing came out. We then have a row of green beans, raised properly, then a carrot seedling which also did not give anything, and finally a light semi, made a little late I think, we will see the result. I just remember that these sowing was done in a part sown with green manure on a part under hay last year. just for information, I have not seen any deterioration of the soil on this part of the garden, but as the proverb says, patience and length of time do more than strength and courage.

IMG_20180511_211841.jpg

the first tomato plants planted yesterday, they are still small (4 leaves) but I was impatient, 4 different varieties, it must be said that on some plants there is a slaughter in the frame, but not on others? and therefore 16 plants grounded. I planned to put a frame on top to cover the whole, but later, with a foot or two of zucchini, to see the difference in result with those planted outdoors.

IMG_20180511_211825.jpg

And here we are in the heart of the holy of holies, the chassis for miracles : Oops: , compared to the photo of the previous post, there was a loss in tomato seedlings of about 30%. the emergence of cucurbits is rather very good (pumpkins, zucchini, peppers, eggplants, squash, melons, butternuts, peppers and patissons), for the moment 80% success. All the "empty" pots are part of the seedlings in pots to be planted before the holidays, there are beets, celery, parsnips, turnip cabbage and salads. And finally, in the white bin, a test of condiments that I will then prick in the ground (Parsley, chervil, thyme, chives).

Finally, the vegetable garden started off quite well this year, with new things, and always failures (radish / carrots), I think it must come from a lack of timing between sowing and rainfall, in fact, I should have done these sowing earlier. Anyway, like last year, watering may be limited.

Denis
2 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 29/05/18, 21:18

A small series of photos on zucchini plants, with a pot, always the same : Wink: , to show the size difference:

IMG_20180529_191036.jpg

In this first photo, a homemade zucchini seedling in the purest Denis tradition, ie, in commercial soil, supposedly balanced in N / P / K tatati, tatata.
Note: right next to it you can see a remnant of mushrooms

IMG_20180529_191024.jpg

In this second photo a plant from the trade this time, offered by my neighbor who took pity given the size of mine : Lol:

IMG_20180529_191005.jpg

And in this third photo, a plant that was kind enough to grow on its own without any help in my garden.

I just wish that nature would be even nicer and give me lots of other small gifts like this one. : Wink:

Denis
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 30/05/18, 02:18

denis17 wrote:A small series of photos on zucchini plants, with a pot, always the same : Wink: , to show the size difference:

IMG_20180529_191036.jpg

In this first photo, a homemade zucchini seedling in the purest Denis tradition, ie, in commercial soil, supposedly balanced in N / P / K tatati, tatata.
Note: right next to it you can see a remnant of mushrooms

IMG_20180529_191024.jpg

In this second photo a plant from the trade this time, offered by my neighbor who took pity given the size of mine : Lol:

IMG_20180529_191005.jpg

And in this third photo, a plant that was kind enough to grow on its own without any help in my garden.

I just wish that nature would be even nicer and give me lots of other small gifts like this one. : Wink:

Denis

Yours is not ridiculous because .........

It all depends on the sowing date of the pro.
If he did it warm in February and you did it in April there is nothing surprising
But in general the pros start very early with the risks that this entails and the protective work that follows.

I had asked the question in another thread but we too were faced with some regrowths in the greenhouse which are obviously VERY early.

It remains to be seen why this zucchini has, it seems, passed the winter without wasting away.

In your place I will keep all its seeds: who knows?

Still, the turn of the dial is what we should achieve ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/05/18, 08:56

1) The first visibly suffers from too poor a soil. And now, she "trains" to establish her connections with mycorrhizae and to recharge her batteries ... "Ignition delay". Normal.

2) The second undoubtedly benefited from fertilization. It is very green. But not "connected" either.

Wait for more events ...

3) The third is surely a seed, which benefited from the favorable conditions of the year (it was hot and dry, then now we are in a semi-tropical regime; not sure it will happen like this every year; last year, it would have burnt down and you might not even have seen it!

There, it has everything for it: they are connected, the ground has warmed up enough, nitrification is on ... The ideal, what!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/05/18, 09:01

nico239 wrote:

It is however stunted (lack of light): the back of your box is opaque.

To find out how much light a plant receives, imagine lying in its place. And look above, 360 ° around! A frame leaning against a wall: only 180 ° of light remains. Either half.

To be nuanced a little depending on the orientation (and therefore the sun).

But also according to the "competition" in the frame (density of plants).

For many plants, 50% "full day" light is more than enough for them. For others, it shows signs of fading.
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 30/05/18, 09:36

Maybe I will have to modify my chassis, the two side faces are opaque, and therefore replace them with a colorless support. It can make things better.
As for the soil, I think I will do without it next year, I already have a little idea on how I will operate.
Denis
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 30/05/18, 12:36

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:

It is however stunted (lack of light): the back of your box is opaque.

To find out how much light a plant receives, imagine lying in its place. And look above, 360 ° around! A frame leaning against a wall: only 180 ° of light remains. Either half.

To be nuanced a little depending on the orientation (and therefore the sun).

But also according to the "competition" in the frame (density of plants).

For many plants, 50% "full day" light is more than enough for them. For others, it shows signs of fading.

Ouh will have it that I remember when I build (finally) my chassis ...

I thought I would ask you the question of height at that time precisely but I think you answer it there.

The lower it is, the better the plants will be lit ... is that it?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/05/18, 16:06

nico239 wrote:
The lower it is, the better the plants will be lit ... is that it?

Absolutely.

We set the minimum height so that the plants do not touch the windows too quickly, knowing that for the flow of water, we put a slope. And so we put the "high" plants on the high side (tomatoes, peppers ...), the others on the low side (lettuce, celery) ...
0 x