Cuba, an island in 80% in organic fruit and vegetable production.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Cuba, an organic island at 80% in fruit and vegetable production.

by Obamot » 22/09/16, 00:58

izentrop wrote:Not science.

what do you understand in science huh? : roll:

Janic wrote:
Janic wrote:
Obamot wrote:[...] it is thus well you [Izentrop] which approaches that under the personal angle by speaking voluntarily of the "religious"
that in this case the bonding systems the exploitation of man by man are multiple: politics, economics, science and so on! Do you dislike this too?

Well no guys, for Izentrop, there's still nothing _ "repugnant". : roll:
(well this is the word he finds to describe those who seek a meaning in life) : Shock: : Mrgreen:

And for him GMOs are still not harmful .... (as long as they are "organic" no problem : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: )
Fortunately, Séralini won his pocès ...
http://sain-et-naturel.com/ogm-tumeurs- ... roces.html
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 22/09/16, 08:13

isentrop hello
Janic wrote:
all the systems would have to be put in the same basket: religion, science, politics, the market economy that Ahmed suggests to you, etc.
Not science.
Would there be a single system that would escape the rule applicable to all systems when we globalize them like you do? Politicians will say: not politics; religious: not religion; and economists: not the economy! You have to get out of this side "don't touch my buddy" all the more so as the burrs of science (sorry for some scientists) show as much as you want that nothing, and no one, is free of errors (at least) like deliberately disgusting smudges ... like glyphosate mentioned among the thousands of toxic products that science has invented.
Fortunately, scientists have realized that "science without conscience, it is the ruin of the soul"and bodies!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 01/10/16, 14:29

Ahmed wrote:Our association had tried to disseminate the methods of SRI and SRA (I don't really know the difference ...), but without too much success because the level of local agricultural training was very low and that it is very demanding in work and strictly. However, this effort was not wasted, since it allowed an introduction to the vegetable crops which have known since a great success.

Hello Ahmed,

I read an article on the IRS 15 years ago, with a detailed description of several pages in Malagasy. I had printed them out to have them read by friends of rice farmers (pleonasm for a Madagascan), they had told me that that was about how they did it ...
They could not grasp everything with a simple text without an example, and they are not used to reading texts.
I recently saw these videos which better explain the process, especially the 2-leaf transplanting and the space between plants.
But I think that some traditional rice fields produce more than 2 tonnes per hectare, to compare we take the least ...
On the other hand, 12 t / ha is a weighty argument against the idea that agriculture should be mechanized to increase yields, with many machines and inputs, and many outgoing people (ex-peasants), who in fact become "in" into the system, entering through the slums.

Concerning the statement "100 times less water" I have a doubt, because the rice fields on the valley side that I know seem to me to be water reservoirs, always full even after several weeks without rain. Emptying them is easy, but filling with a trickle of water much less ...

If not indiscreet, where and when was this introduction to growing vegetables?

A+ : Wink:
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 01/10/16, 15:28

In fact, the water in the rice field plays the same role as the hay in the vegetable garden, preventing weeds from proliferating.
Not by suppressing light, but by preventing the formation of nitrates by aerobic bacteria, the plants dependent on nitrates cannot grow and the rice has all the ammonia for it.
As long as it is flooded, the ammonia is in solution underneath, it works, but what happens when the rice field is dried and aerobic bacteria transform it into nitrate?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 07/10/16, 21:30

Your objection is entirely relevant and you have to be very careful when taking this kind of initiative. The goal, by popularizing the SRI (or SRA) was just to improve the security of food self-sufficiency in a food system ... This initiative dates back several years (?), Now and took place in Befotaka, in NW of Madagascar (see here). and its evolution towards new vegetable crops is very encouraging.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 27/01/17, 14:34

Hello : Wink:

Time flies, but better late than never :P

Thank you for the link of Non Merchant Exchanges, I like this philosophy which privileges the art of living to the technical illusion.
Drains in contour lines are a very good idea, everything that keeps water is vital (just like traditional rice terraces).
Just a note, I hope they have not buried their batteries in the foundations, because it does not seem to me at all wise, especially on a site that is equipped with solar electricity ...?

Here is the link of another association in Madagascar, which seems to go in the same direction.
In addition, there is, among other things, a cooperative with management that allows farmers to perceive added value during the final sale.

http://www.asa-madagascar.org/

I invite you to watch the videos.

http://www.asa-madagascar.org/L-ASA-en-video.html

We can ask questions.
For example, for 20 families saved each year, how many new families arrive in the slums?
But also, in this area of ​​15 hectares which was almost uninhabited (but whose inhabitants were not driven out, on the contrary) after 000 years there are 20 inhabitants.
By transposing these figures to major agricultural projects covering millions of hectares (land grabbing by "great powers"), we see that we can provide a decent living for millions of people, at home, without them being necessarily dependent and exploited employees ...
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/01/17, 19:57

As far as ENM is concerned, what has been set up is progressively moving towards autonomy, but despite the enormous progress made, I think that nothing is ever won and I am carefully watching all this to see how the stadium will be approached superior; I naturally hope that it will go well, but I believe that stabilization at a higher level is not without dangers. In particular, I think of the role of money which continues to be injected locally (although the orientation of funds has been partly redirected towards new objectives) represents a potential danger.
Thanks, anyway, for the videos. You are right, the achievements are well below what would be desirable (and materially possible), but the "singularities", however numerous they are (in various fields), cannot effectively thwart the systemic power. .
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 30/01/17, 10:58

Ahmed wrote:Our association had tried to disseminate the methods of SRI and SRA (I don't really know the difference ...) ...

I found the answer to your question, in the faq of the main IRS site,
right here: http://www.tefysaina.org/decouv.htm

"23. What are the differences between SRI and SRA?

SRI exploits the physiological potential of rice to obtain a lot of tillers. Intensification is possible thanks to knowledge of the physiology of rice. The SRA aims to improve production by intensifying agricultural inputs such as improved seeds, chemical fertilizers or pesticides. "

It's very different ...

We learn on this site 50 farmers * in Madagascar, and 000 in Cambodia, cultivate with this technique, which does not require technology.

There is a (non-commercial) transfer of south-south techniques which seems promising, towards Africa in particular where Malagasy teams went to present the technique which has been adopted, which has spread in neighboring countries, and who have made videos narrated in Malagasy.
For years I have been talking about SRI around me, no one knows, but when we use its Malagasy name "Vary Maro Anaka", literally "rice which has many descendants", everyone has heard about it ...
But it scares people who haven't tried it, because it's a new technique that you have to learn to understand.

* There are 2 million rice farms, for the most part it is a family of 6 people on average. And there are very few who speak French!

I also found this site which is a nod to the vegetable garden of the lazy : Wink:

http://www.erails.net/MG/taf/taf-dev-ru ... ns-du-taf/

Ps: we have not yet talked about the emission of methane from rice fields with this rice growing technique, but from a point of view of GHG emissions it also seems interesting.

(edit) ** At the moment there is drought on almost the whole island, in the village the stream which feeds the valley of the village rice fields is dry, the rice fields are still in the water. these millions of flooded terraced rice fields constitute the only retention reservoirs existing in the countryside, for centuries it has worked.
Building others (of another type) is not within the reach of a single family, it requires organization ...
To manage IRS water, it must be retained upstream.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/01/17, 12:20

dede2002 wrote:In fact, the water in the rice field plays the same role as the hay in the vegetable garden, preventing weeds from proliferating.
Not by suppressing light, but by preventing the formation of nitrates by aerobic bacteria, the plants dependent on nitrates cannot grow and the rice has all the ammonia for it.
As long as it is flooded, the ammonia is in solution underneath, it works, but what happens when the rice field is dried and aerobic bacteria transform it into nitrate?

I stumble on it today!

Indeed, the flooded rice field is a very specific agronomic case, but on a large scale.

Like what, there is always the rule, with 36 situations, and at least one exception.

In this case, water plays one of the roles of hay: the "anti-weed" role. The hay has 3 or 4 others ...

But this clearly shows the need to think of a cultivated space as a "system". Whether it is the vegetable garden or the rice field.

I am not fully competent in rice (I have only worked in Sahelian-type climates, based on millet / sorghum and legumes - peanuts, cowpeas ...).

But if we grow rainfed rice, we no longer have the flood to "block" the other weeds. And so the rainfed rice weeds. I checked :
file: /// C: /Users/Didier/AppData/Local/Temp/fiche-production-de-riz-pluvial.pdf

Less "civil engineering" work to create the rice paddy. But more work every year. Really, nothing is ever perfect in this world!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/01/17, 12:29

dede2002 wrote:But it scares people who haven't tried it, because it's a new technique that you have to learn to understand.

An unmistakable sociological constant: in any human society, the arrival of new technologies creates rejections, tensions, etc ... Even if it is "positive".

Not just here, where many regret the "good old days" where everything was supposedly simple, calm and peaceful ... [my grandfather never said that!] The construction of the Eiffel Tower has generated a vast protest movement! When we invented the electric bulb, gas lighters protested / The candle merchants promised disaster ...

Today, robots have to be taxed!
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"