Aphids on my cabbages

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
plonparamoto
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Aphids on my cabbages

by plonparamoto » 17/04/17, 15:24

Hello,
I have three raised vegetable plots of 1.20m per side, using the technique of loïc vauclin from Rouen. It's cool, but I'm not going to extend this gardening technique too much. I planted F1 milan cabbages there in September 2016, which were first attacked by the woodworm in October, and I removed the caterpillars one by one (the tubs are 80 cm or even 1m from the ground, this makes it easier things), but there is now a max of white-gray aphids. What to do ?
thanks for your advices
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: aphids on my cabbage

by olivier75 » 17/04/17, 16:17

Plonparamoto,
Obviously Zero produces, even soap ....
If you don't have a lot of cabbages and they are well established, you mash what you can by hand. predators will do the rest. If I can prune, I do it, I leave the leaves or branches on the ground, that is enough to weaken the chips and attract predators.
An attack can be impressive, but often does not last very long.
Olivier.
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 17/04/17, 17:40

Hello,

The tit. These birds are formidable in efficiency. Not to mention the small spiders that the blackbird will regulate.
When I started my garden, I was bothered by aphids, flea beetles, caterpillars, ... I voluntarily leave areas for bird nesting, and more problems for several years.
I only have the leek worm which resists (the guy hides well ...)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/04/17, 18:29

It is not easy to install a semblance of natural balance in raised squares ... See the "Potager du Laesseux", which is simpler on paper but much more complex in living reality, less "anthropized" ".

Aphids, you should ideally breed them on martyr plants, so as to attract the auxiliaries, which are especially hoverflies, ladybug larvae (be careful, they are "horrible" bugs, not looking at all like the ladybug, look at a picture on the internet, to see if they are there). Among the plants-martyrs: ke honeysuckle, elderberry, nasturtiums, broad beans ... In a space without aphids, no auxiliaries and you will be at the mercy of the first aphid that passes by, and develops very quickly by parthenogenesis (without sexual reproduction) ...

The winter exit period is often critical, because aphids are faster than the auxiliaries (which go through larval stages, the duration of which depends on the temperature) ...

A simple method: spray the plants with a high-power jet from below; the plants will be "washed" of the aphids ... One or two sessions and the bulk of the problem should be solved. The time for the auxiliaries to roll in ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/04/17, 18:31

plonparamoto wrote:
I planted F1 milan cabbages there in September 2016, which were first attacked by the woodworm in October, and I removed the caterpillars one by one (the tubs are 80 cm or even 1m from the ground, this makes it easier things), but there is now a max of white-gray aphids. What to do ?
thanks for your advices

It will bloom, right ??? He hasn't started yet? Since it's an HF1, you can't reuse the seeds.
0 x
plonparamoto
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by plonparamoto » 20/04/17, 08:56

Hello,
the tanks are raised but a central column filled with earth would allow soil life (fungi, microfauna, worms) to come and go. I have tits and lots of other birds passing by, I even installed two nesting boxes on each side of the house, the birds are visiting but for now are not settling there, maybe because too much near the house (my garden is not that big). As for martyr plants, I am not left out: on my mirabelle plum, alas (green aphids), and on a "snowball" hedge invaded each year by black aphids. Between whites, greens and blacks, biodiversity is celebrating! I'll try the water jet shot and wait ... thank you. Last year I tried spraying sugar water (glucose 10g / l) on the plum tree, the leaves were starting to grow normally and not curled up, hiding green aphids; it seems that they react to this sugar, "believing" to be infested with aphids (honeydew), by making thicker walls (seen on a video by a guy from inra). But I still don't spray this sugar too much, for fear of having fungus.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/04/17, 09:21

On trees, it is the ants which "raise" the aphids, from which they "milk" the honeydew ... They "box" all the auxiliaries outside the tree and are ferocious. So no "balance" can be established ...

It is necessary to put a strip of glue on the trunk, to interrupt the "highways" with ants which settle. Be careful that they do not pass behind the strip between the strip and the bark, in favor of a crevice. Also be careful: they "sacrifice" some and make a bridge over them. So to watch.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/04/17, 09:25

plonparamoto wrote:Hello,
the tanks are raised but a central column filled with earth would allow soil life (fungi, microfauna, worms) to come and go.

There is not only the life of the soil, but also the life on the soil ... Certain insects are extremely effective auxiliaries: staphylins, beetles of all kinds ... They run on the ground ... Cultivate in height is an obstacle for them.

The ground beetles are, for example, much more effective against slugs than the "legendary" hedgehog, much more capricious and random, much more runner ... At home, I make sure there is continuity between the grassy paths and the flower beds cultivated ...

It's my point of view. But as in any living system, nothing is ever simple since by definition it is complex. So there are different points of view ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/04/17, 10:12

I have a very favorable a priori with regard to ground beetles and staphylins, formerly very numerous in all the vegetable gardens, unfortunately these insects are very rare: I have not seen staphylin for a long time, no more than ground beetles.
These are still present in the forest (probably also the staphylins, but they are so discreet ...) and I tried to reintroduce some in my garden, without success, despite the presence of a scree and a " stump "... :(
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 20/04/17, 10:25

Beetles, I see them very regularly. Not yet there (even if I have already seen one): it is still cold ... They are always a little behind the snails at the end of winter ...

But in summer, it is rare that I put myself on the flower bed without seeing any ... I think that my grassy paths, with a south / southwest exposure, sloping (dry), have a lot to do with it ...

Staphylins, in fact, are very difficult to see. I ran into it for the first time, last year ... So I know there is.

That's how I explain the "few problems" I have with slugs (except last year on the May-June slot, where it was cold and wet). My "hedgehog garden" is still unoccupied, despite all my efforts: shelters to "standards", various plants attractive to hedgehogs ...
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"