WEEE: how long you keep your pc?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!

I change my PC (CPU), about all:

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
Christophe

WEEE: how long you keep your pc?

by Christophe » 12/11/06, 19:27

Let's talk a bit about electrical waste with a concrete case: your pc (you must all have one to surf here ... unless you are at the cybercafe but I think it is a rare case)

The question is in the title, in other words: how often do you update your machine?

Several reasons for this change: lack of power, "natural" material wear, electric shock that broke everything : Cry: , etc., etc...

Specify if possible!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/06, 19:34

Concerning myself it is between 3 and 4 years old (I put 3 in the survey) because I play a little ... and as with the games it goes very very quickly at the level of evolutions ...

Before changing the complete tower I usually do an UPGRADE in the middle of the route (the graphics card most of the time).

FYI, I currently have an A64 3000 bought in July 2004 which I intend to keep until the end of 2006 (see more while it is running ...) because the upgrade has not yet been carried out. This leaves me a little room!

On the other hand, I always "RECYCLE" my old machines:
- the penultimate before last (an amd 300 Mhz used and upgraded successively from 1993 to 2000) ended in network server
- the penultimate (amd athlon 700 Mhz from 2000 to 2004) was offered to my mom for word processing ... It is on this that econology was born : Cheesy:
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 12/11/06, 19:50

Hello

there is no box for me.: Evil: mine at 12 and I change little bits from time to time, when something burns.: Cry:
Departure pentium 133 4mg of ram today sampron 2600 512 ram but still the same "box".
I ate 3 monitors 2 motherboard a power supply (not compatible with my new motherboard) full of mice 4 keyboards etc
but the beast is still as ugly and old fashioned, don't care as long as it works :P :P :P
@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/06, 20:00

Well in your case it's the very last choice, isn't it? But be careful, it doesn't mean you're "nickel": what "pollutes" the most (in recycling) I don't think it's the tower (beasts) but precisely the electronic components :)

Is it collected in France (in this case in Reunion) somewhere electronic waste?
0 x
iota
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by iota » 12/11/06, 20:13

The one who turns: celeron 800
nothing changed, everything is original
network card added

The one that works more: 1Ghz athlon
frequent burner change : Evil:
Some discs added
network card

no games, only internet and office automation from time to time.
finally it is windows and softwares which force to change becane ...

vala!
0 x
zac

by zac » 12/11/06, 20:16

Christophe wrote:Well in your case it's the very last choice, isn't it? But be careful, it doesn't mean you're "nickel": what "pollutes" the most (in recycling) I don't think it's the tower (beasts) but precisely the electronic components :)

Is it collected in France (in this case in Reunion) somewhere electronic waste?

Hello
here nothing is recycled at the IT level : Evil:

with what I recover in the landfill I bring up the pc that I sell for 50 € or when I go to mada by boat I exchange them for services from Malagasy people who cannot buy them.

the largest cyber cafe in tamatave is equipped with a pc that a friend to spin and with what i bring in 3 months they set up another at full peak.
3 more families who eat it is that slab but with my RMI I can not feed 20 million inhabitants : Cry:

@+

PS: I lack a sdram in 100m hz and a mini 10go hard drive notice to generous donors : Lol:
0 x

delnoram

by delnoram » 12/11/06, 20:28

My current one and an AMD Athlon 3200 (2200 Mhz), the previous one is my brother who uses it and if I change, that will leave it in my workshop.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/06, 20:39

zac wrote:PS: I lack a sdram in 100m hz and a mini 10go hard drive notice to generous donors : Lol:

There must be a few barrets of Edo with my parents! I can look at Christmas if you want ... on the other hand for the port at the meeting ...: s

Well, speaking of PC and Africa, I had heard of a humanitarian project to recondition old European PCs ... but I no longer find the link ... it was an association, it seems to me.

Small article in the subject: Is PC Vote eco-friendly?

https://www.econologie.com/articles-1110.html
0 x
zac

by zac » 12/11/06, 21:00

There must be a few barrets of Edo

not tire you edo j ais full but even at the bottom of the bush the 486 c is finished : Lol:
@+
thanks anyway!
0 x

I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 12/11/06, 22:11

My PC is 6 months old (AMD 3100 at € 399 plus a 19 "flat screen)
My previous PCs were 2nd hands.
The last one was a 366 Mhz that I gave to an association which does recycling, repair and sale of second hand but also which sends the old reconditioned and working pc (some asso send HS pc) in the countries in the process of development to allow them access to information technology.
Their PCs are configured with LINUX suites provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Windows is chargeable ...).

For my part, I am equipped with Linux, by conviction ...
Even if at work I have windobe. But we are starting to provide us with open office suites ...
0 x