WEEE: how long you keep your pc?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!

I change my PC (CPU), about all:

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/06, 23:42

zac wrote:not tire you edo j ais full but even at the bottom of the bush the 486 c is finished : Lol:
@+
thanks anyway!

Uh some Pentium / amd Motherboard (including my penultimate pc) had a dual memory system: EDO AND SDRAM ... so ...
Last edited by Christophe the 12 / 11 / 06, 23: 47, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/06, 23:43

Citro, it was precisely maybe this association that I thought above ... Could you indicate its site here? Thanks for them)
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 13/11/06, 03:04

The pc I use the most is a PIII 1Ghz laptop that I bought second-hand a year ago.

I run it on Windows 98SE so there is no speed problem, w98 requires much less power than XP and I have never had a virus bp even with no anti-virus or firewall.
Only drawbacks for me: google earth not compatible and USB peripherisues which are not recognized without drivers.

It is perfect for what I do with: internet, prog, CAD.
and as it is a portable it consumes little energy.

I still have a desktop PC (AMD XP1800 +) but I don't use it much anymore.

So I voted 4 years or more
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/11/06, 08:19

I voted 4 years, but after that, it becomes problematic to find parts or run new programs that come out or place new accessories (USB 2.0 for example)
My kid is still tinkering with my Zenith portable 8086 from 1986 (double floppy, no HD, 64 Mega Ram) (adapted to the prices now, it would cost more than 5000 euros)
My 95 packard bell is still running, but no more extensions possible and more space on the 1,8 Gb HD
My 98 compaq laptop whose screen was broken has been recycled with an old monitor and works in a network .... in the kitchen
The nerve center of the house is a packard bell in XP from 2003 that we have modernized (new HD, memory enhancement)
my 2004 laptop is working fine.
Of course, from time to time you have to save your hard drive and do a "major maintenance"
to remember: plugging in a hard drive is really easy and at 80 euros for 200 Gigas, it's really cheap.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 13/11/06, 08:44

I voted 4 years or more ...

as an IT professional, and as the saying goes, these are the shodest shoemakers ...

I use a PIII 866 Mhz, with 256 MB of RAMBUS

So far, I only bought a PC 10 years ago: a 486 DX4 100 Mhz

Since then, it's recovery of dead or obsolete PCs from customers, who need it to work quickly and well

Under XP, official license but 'light' version (unattended Oxidium by Cursed for connoisseurs)

I also use a 115 or 4 year old EVO N5 laptop, also recovered ...

When I can no longer recover anything on a PC, only one solution: the recycling center (or recycling center)

They put the PCs aside, for depollution
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/06, 09:07

Superform wrote:Under XP, official license but 'light' version (unattended Oxidium by Cursed for connoisseurs)

LOL, a free license in other words? : Cheesy:
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 13/11/06, 10:22

no no, I really have a real XP pro license, no problem

the fact that I use an unattended version does not change anything, I have the license so I am in good standing ...

it's just that with this XP version is more stable, faster ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 13/11/06, 13:24

Christophe wrote:Citro, it was precisely maybe this association that I thought above ... Could you indicate its site here? Thanks for them)

Here - here: EcoMicro
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 13/11/06, 15:41

I answered 2 years but in fact, 2 years is the pace of my upgrades. I buy a complete box about every 6 years and in the meantime, I basically have 2 or 3 upgrades at least for what we can change separately. For example, the last upgrade, the change of Motherboard forced me to change CG also because the news no longer had an AGP port.

In terms of recycling, the components that I transfer from my PC go to that of my son or I keep them to build configs for people I know who can not afford to buy a PC.

Note: from Wednesday 15/11/2006, in France, all electronics sellers are required to take back the old equipment (to recycle it) for the purchase of a new one. Do not worry about the cost that it could cause them: it is the customers who will pay. Everything that contains electronics will see its price increase in 2 days ("Around 1 euro for a central unit, 5 euros for a 17-inch monitor") for more information on this: an article from ZDNet
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 13/11/06, 23:25

Me as I do not use windoze like OS, and that I do not play, I do not need always more power.

I use my PCs (laptops only), down to the marrow. I am on my 2nd laptop, and the 1st is still used at work for certain tasks. I would not have had to change it if I could have put more than 256MB of RAM ....

Now I have a Packard bell / AMD XP-M 2600+ / 768MB of Ram. With this machine, as long as it is not broken down, I have no reason to change it. And the worst part is that I downclock it to 512Mhz most of the time, no more need to surf the web! It heats less and therefore it consumes less 8)
0 x