Computer waste, Linux solution?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: cast

by Targol » 30/06/09, 22:05

Korben Dallas wrote:This is really the biggest problem. Most users are reluctant to change their habits. And yet, they undergo the evolutions of the software of Microsoft, quasi obligatory (MS Office for example).

And yes. However, the only 2 people on whom I imposed this change from ouinedose to linux (my wife and my son: I was fed up with repeat pieces and reinstalled from scratch every year) would not return to Ms for nothing at world...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 30/06/09, 22:41

0 x
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

duck

by gentil33 » 01/07/09, 08:21

I remember, at the time, I read the Computer virus, the equivalent of the duck chained, stuffed with serious information very disturbing. They had setbacks with the justice because of course of manitous deprived of data processing, and as they did not have the kidneys sufficiently solid on the financial plan, one does not find it any more .... well a pity.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 01/07/09, 09:07

Korben Dallas said

Most users are reluctant to change their habits. And yet, they undergo the evolutions of Microsoft software, almost compulsory

Not only that: lots of very specialized software is developed for XP, even Vista, in other words the most widespread OS.

This is the case, for example, programming software for alarm panels, or software from insurance companies.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Law

by gentil33 » 01/07/09, 09:32

What is not normal is that you are almost always forced to have a computer with windows installed on it.

There should be a law that requires that a computer be delivered with the system installations on the hard drive. When the user turns on the computer for the first time, he would be forced to choose one of the systems offered for installation and to purchase the license if it is a commercial system.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 01/07/09, 09:41

elephant wrote:lots of very specialized software are developed for XP, even Vista, in other words the most common OS.

This is the case, for example, programming software for alarm panels, or software from insurance companies.

Yes, but in at least 90% of the cases, this software can be used under Ubuntu using the Wine software which "emulates" windows (although it is not really an emulator, the nuance escapes me a bit).

Even fairly recent games go with wine, so office software shouldn't be a big problem.

At worst, for those who really don't want to go with wine, they will go into a windows virtual machine launched under virtualBox.

In any case, thanks to wine, I was able to replay a bunch of old Windows 95 games that no longer went under XP.

Basically, apart from very recent games requiring large graphics capabilities and based on DirectX, there should be no Windows software that can not be launched under Ubuntu.

Moreover, to be convinced of it, it is enough to download the ISO for free, to burn it and to test in "live CD": by starting from the CD Rom, one tests Ubuntu on his machine. without changing anything on the hard drive. You can also request free of charge a CD of the latest version.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 01/07/09, 09:42

it's not just office software: these are often interfaced software: already we sometimes have trouble getting them to work ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Radical solution

by gentil33 » 01/07/09, 10:07

Personally, I use google tools to do office work, store my documents and publish my website all at home. So I use all their tools remotely via my browser. What would be great would be that the Linux world offers such a possibility, with an open office tool usable remotely.

So, with a very small computer serving as a terminal, we could work from anywhere in the world. It is a very economical solution both financially and ecologically.
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 01/07/09, 14:17

Gentil33, if it does not relax you to entrust all data, often private, to google, well it is you who see ...

Me, personally, it is out of the question.

Otherwise, about Linux, it's very simple, I can not do without it. After almost four years of Ubuntu, I manage to freak out if one day I am asked to work on Vista ... since I have never used it : Mrgreen:

Ubuntu is too much too much of the ball. You just have to make a little effort to adapt, then it's only happiness !!

And when I return to XP, I have the impression of returning to Minitel, so the interfaces available on Linux are a thousand times more advanced and successful !!
0 x
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

To reassure

by gentil33 » 01/07/09, 14:47

I assure you, I do not put sensitive data on remote servers. On the contrary, they can hack me as long as they want, I do not ask for better, if that can make better known my website so that people finally realize that it can be a very important advance in terms of ecology.
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"