100% selective sorting!

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

100% selective sorting!

by A2E » 17/11/08, 09:44

Hello all ! : Mrgreen:

I come back here to report that for the 4th year in a row (28/09/04) I have "celebrated" 100% sorting of our household waste.

Sorting 100% is more and more justified nowadays because plastics and papers are constantly increasing, overpacks of all kinds for plastics and advertisements of all kinds are flooding our mailboxes (BAL) in these times of financial crisis (not for all of course) large and medium-sized stores are doubling their production of ads to make us consume more and more but for us it is the opposite effect that occurs because all this 99,5% non-recycled paper is big no matter what, we are at 6,5 kg / month in normal times and more than 10 kg in celebration time (christmas-fathers day, mothers etc ...) : Evil:
For plastic: same fight! more and more with no less than 8 to 9 kg / week! :|
When you buy food at low prices there is almost always an overpack.
As for glasses and metals: it is less and less as well as paper and cardboard because plastic has replaced almost everything and not only in food.
And how far are you going this way :?:

Edit by Christophe, here is a 1st graph of these measurements:

0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 17/11/08, 10:04

For leaflets,
The municipalities would have an interest in proposing a sticker "no thanks, no advertising" and those who would affix it would be entitled to a reduction in their trash contribution.
I submitted an idea in my commune but did not receive an answer.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/11/08, 10:06

Well weight monitoring ... I admit that, for lack of time or laziness (?), I never dared to start a regular count!

Anyway, since we are in Belgium, we also sort our waste 100%, in 2006 we even did a little photo report:

ImageImage

https://www.econologie.com/le-tri-select ... -3212.html

Did you do some statistics / curves of your statements? It could be super interesting. Otherwise I can do it if you provide me with the raw figures month by month?

ps: for the low price I do not agree: it is generally the overwrapping (individual packaging) which increases the bill ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/11/08, 10:12

phil53 wrote:For leaflets,
The municipalities would have an interest in proposing a sticker "no thanks, no advertising" and those who would affix it would be entitled to a reduction in their trash contribution.

You can find (free of charge most of the time if not at low cost) such stickers in any "slightly" green event ...

In Holland there are 4 types of stickers + combinations:

- Yes / no advertising
- Yes / no free newspapers

80% of mailboxes have such stickers ...
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 17/11/08, 10:48

Christophe wrote:Well weight monitoring ... I admit that, for lack of time or laziness (?), I never dared to start a regular count!

Anyway, since we are in Belgium, we also sort our waste 100%, in 2006 we even did a little photo report:

ImageImage

https://www.econologie.com/le-tri-select ... -3212.html

Did you do some statistics / curves of your statements? It could be super interesting. Otherwise I can do it if you provide me with the raw figures month by month?

ps: for the low price I do not agree: it is generally the overwrapping (individual packaging) which increases the bill ...

Well let's say that 100% sorting (or full sorting rather) is quite demanding in terms of processing time because it is necessary to detach and properly separate the plastics from the paper (like packaging for cheeses) and also rinse the yoghurt pots (easy after it requires effort and motivation, not to mention that often at the beginning there are many discouragements when people or relatives do not make any effort! : Evil: (it is quite rare today) so it is very rewarding to weigh the bags because it is in a way a reward for our efforts in terms of percentage of sorting.
with regard to month / month stats: I did it at the beginning then the habit was taken of weighing like that at the end of the arm for certain bags so it is not really precise for a possible graph with +/- 0,500 kg / bag approximately but hey I will list my archives and get you some data by next week. : Idea:
Interesting your report in Fritland! home is not very clean so I would refrain from photos! :| not that I am badly organized but there are bags arranged a little to anarchy and it is not very presentable say!
I did not give any details regarding compostable waste because it has not increased, it is stable throughout the year with +/- 9 kg / week (apart from family celebrations 2 to 3 times / l 'year)
what is in clear regression these are the glasses and metals which represent more than 1,5kg / week (I will check the stats since the beginning) but basically there is a clear decrease of these packaging recyclable to infinity that it is certain in spite of all that can puff us the pubs on the preservation of the environment (to say it is good but to do it would be much much better !!!)
as far as overpacking is concerned, it all depends on what we consume! and also where and at what price, I said low price because I recently found discrepancies in the weight of plastics for the same products purchased at the same place (you have to be careful with the so-called "gross weights "and" net "weight, I think with good reason that consumers do not weigh their purchases when they come home from their shopping and yet ... : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
Just an edifying example: 1 bag of 5kg of crystallized sugar where is written "5kg net" by weighing the contents of the bag it threatened 300 grams! and I noticed this "error" on several bags and always 300 grams less !!! : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: (I do not specify the brand but for those who wish to know it: contact me privately).
I make my weight readings and I send them to you as soon as possible Christophe. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/11/08, 11:03

Oh yeah right ... but pkoi wash the yogurt? With us we have what we call "the residual fraction" which I also call "ultimate waste" which cannot be recycled and which will end up either in a landfill or in the incinerator.

It represents with us I would say about 10 to 15% of the mass of our waste (20% to 25% by volume on the other hand because the yogurt pot is full of air even "compacted" by hand). The heaviest is the paper but currently 95% go into the stove (everything except glossy / laminated)

But what do you do AFTER you've sorted it all out? If there is no recycling subsidiary, what good is it?

Here, the plastics are separated at the level of the fleet to be contained:

explanations: https://www.econologie.com/le-tri-select ... -3213.html

What do they do with it afterwards? Mystery ... I'm not sure it doesn't go to China you see ... :|

I'm waiting for your email! Can you pass that to me in excel file if you have either in .txt format or directly by email or even by MP?

I can't wait to draw your curves! Have you had all the measures by type of waste since 2004?
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 17/11/08, 13:15

Christophe wrote:
phil53 wrote:For leaflets,

You can find (free of charge most of the time if not at low cost) such stickers in any "slightly" green event ...

In Holland there are 4 types of stickers + combinations:

- Yes / no advertising
- Yes / no free newspapers

80% of mailboxes have such stickers ...

Yes I have but it would be more effective if it was the municipalities who sponsored the idea and added a premium in the form of a lower tax on garbage.
Some people do not want to put this sticker too because suddenly they no longer have the info of their town or region
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 17/11/08, 16:14

I don't know how you do it, but I can't recover 100% of my waste ...

I still have:
- office side: envelope windows, magazine packaging and envelope protection, stamp support, package links, etc ...
- kitchen / household side: dust, bathroom waste, yogurt lids, packaging for my butcher / pork butcher, cheese maker, etc ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 18/11/08, 09:03

Christophe:
But what do you do AFTER you've sorted it all out? If there is no recycling subsidiary, what good is it?

With us in Poitou there are 2 sorting centers or rather 2 sorting factories which operate at full speed 24/24 and which employ around fifty employees part-time in 3X8 (sometimes also in 2X8)
I will try to find links concerning these factories.
In our homes we have 3 kinds of bags, namely:
yellow for plastics, metals and cardboard.
blues for newspapers, magazines and pubs.
black for non-recyclable.
and of course the glass containers placed in 2 places at the exit of our commune.
the pickup is done every Wednesday afternoon and once in two it is either the yellow bags or the blue bags (we have a calendar published annually to avoid any error)
the black bags are every Wednesday.
a "CBOM" household refuse dump truck is equipped to receive and load 2 kinds of bags (in dump width this gives 2/3 for black bags and 1/3 for blue and yellow recyclables and this truck drives with 30% rapeseed HBV.
with regard to the annual fee: it amounts to € 130 divided into 2 payments. the bags are available at the town hall all year round.
after where do all these recyclables go? I don't know what to answer you Christophe! I should find out as much as possible!
on municipal bulletins it is specified that we make sweaters with plastic bottles and corrugated sheets of covers also but after ???? :| : Shock: there is still a lack of information on this subject for sure! :|
in Bucheron:
I don't know how you do it, but I can't recover 100% of my waste ...

it takes time and motivation !!!
the windows of the envelopes are carefully peeled off.
the plastic links detached and recovered.
for dust from vacuum cleaner bags: it is a direct house incinerator.
the yoghurt lids: the plastic + paper ones go with the plastics and the aluminum ones go with the metals.
meat trays and films go with plastics.
for everything that is cardboard and newsprint we keep them for the 2 wood stoves for starting fires.
to Phil53:
Some people do not want to put this sticker too because suddenly they no longer have the info of their town or region

with us that there are stickers of this kind or nothing it's the same as the same because we are in the countryside and the distributors of flyers travel great distances generally on foot in all weathers so if they have to + select the mailboxes (for or against) they never end !!! these people are most often long-term unemployed without qualifications and are over 50 for the most part.
I would add one thing concerning the soda water bottles: we remove the corks and their collars to store them and then offer them to associations for the disabled (like that of Jean-Marie Bigard not to name it) the labels in paper are recovered for wood stoves. the bottles are then flattened.
You have more questions :?: : Shock:
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 18/11/08, 09:18

I'm waiting for your email! Can you pass that to me in excel file if you have either in .txt format or directly by email or even by MP?

I can't wait to draw your curves! Have you had all the measures by type of waste since 2004?

By email or MP I don't know!
it will be directly.

No unfortunately I do not have all the measurements because there were lost cards and hollows where there were no notes.
But it is not very important because the significant weight increases start from the end of 2007, before this date it was relatively stable.
we would say that the crisis caused an overflow of ads to always keep the quantities of sales but where it is a little more problematic it is for plastics because there is obviously overpackaging because how to explain this surplus given that we have consumed the same thing over this entire period! (with some exceptions) : Shock: : Idea:

I add this little additional information concerning the selective sorting with us:
Waste treatment

All the materials from the blue and yellow bags are sent to the Saint-Eloi sorting center in Poitiers. They are sorted there manually and mechanically.

These products are packaged in the form of bales and then sent to recycling plants.

The materials from the glass bollards are brought directly to a glassmaker in Châteaubernard (16).

Household waste, contained in black bags, is sent to the incineration plant of St Eloi in Poitiers (86). The principle of this installation is based on the incineration of waste with energy recovery. The collected waste is first burned at high temperature (between 850 and 1000 degrees C); the heat released by this combustion is used, passing through boilers, to supply the district heating network. Finally, at the outlet of the boilers, the gases and residues are purified by physico-chemical treatment, only the residual water vapor escapes through the chimney.

and the link:

http://www.vienne-mouliere.fr/page_2113 ... chets.html
0 x