Oyster shells; building eco-material?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 18/01/11, 22:02

Making ecological cement seems very difficult to me because even if we take limestone from shells that have recently absorbed CO2 (instead of CO2 absorbed a hundred million years ago), that we cook these shells with a solar oven, CO2 in the limestone during cooking will be released giving at best a zero balance sheet, which is currently much worse with cooking in ovens which also make a lot of CO2 by releasing the CO2 stored a hundred million years ago !!

It is true that there is little concern, apart from the combustion efficiency.
0 x
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

fast

by gentil33 » 18/01/11, 23:56

unless this CO2 is used to feed microalgae to make biofuel
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 19/01/11, 01:52

Yes, which will remake CO2 in an engine which will re-feed microalgae placed in the solar car !!
problem of CO2 volumes and surface area of ​​solar greenhouses on the car !!!
This is what happens on an earth scale, in addition to limestone and oxygen over millions of years.
0 x
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

CO2 recycling

by gentil33 » 19/01/11, 07:48

No, I was just thinking of a second tank in the car to recover the CO2.
Going to the gas station, we would fill the first tank with biofuel, and we would empty the second tank of CO2, moreover the gun could be double to perform the two operations in one.
And why not a single tank equipped with a membrane separating biofuel from CO2?
Admittedly, this would require compressing the CO2 in the tank, therefore energy consumption, but we can think of a more clever solution, right? :)
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 19/01/11, 08:55

we can already reduce the consumption of concrete by building thick and using stone like the Romans. After all, a building that remains standing for 1000 years has a much better ecological balance than what we are currently doing.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 19/01/11, 10:13

nice 33: old idea! Already in the sixties, Gaston Lagaffe had tried to put a balloon on the exhaust of his famous car ..... :D :D :D

http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http ... CDEQ9QEwBA
Last edited by elephant the 19 / 01 / 11, 15: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 19/01/11, 10:53

Hello,

You can also help nature by making "natural" stone:

- 0.25 part of sodium carbonate
- 0.25 part of Kaolin
- 1 part of classic clay
- 1 part air lime
- water until a consistency like liquid pancake batter

Wait at least 4 hours

Add 8 to 10 parts of fine crushed limestone or oyster shells, mix well and pack in a mold (pack well).
Unmold 24 hours and let dry in the shade (not too fast) or covered!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

reply to obelix

by gentil33 » 19/01/11, 11:49

ok obelix, but my goal is not to find an ecological alternative, but to give a sustainable development answer to manufacturing current industrial concrete.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 19/01/11, 12:19

I fear that oysters are not enough: when you consider that an ordinary quarry can blow up 100 tonnes of rock a day.

(at the price of a dozen belons or cancales! : Cry: )

Let's not say too much of the cement factories: a large part of their income consists of burning sawdust impregnated with filth of all kinds to send C, O and H back into the atmosphere.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 19/01/11, 13:41

No, I was just thinking of a second tank in the car to recover the CO2.
Going to the gas station, we would fill the first tank with biofuel, and we would empty the second tank of CO2, moreover the gun could be double to perform the two operations in one.
And why not a single tank equipped with a membrane separating biofuel from CO2?
Admittedly, this would require compressing the CO2 in the tank, therefore energy consumption, but we can think of a more clever solution, right?

the utopia of today is the reality of tomorrow !!
the CO2 compression balance (30 atmospheres) must be evaluated and especially how to separate it from all the nitrogen N2 and water present in the exhaust gases, selective absorbent to find, lime, zeolite ???) the lime to be produced gives off the same amount of CO2:

But we are trying to send pressurized carbon dioxide from the air back to Germany under pressure !!!

Since it is expensive, there are hardly any motivations !!
If the sea will rise like iThere are 13000 years as 1,5m to 2m per century (currently less than 1 / 10th of that) et the Netherlands definitively under water entirely, then we will no longer discuss the effect of CO2, even C Lightens, and we will then do so to restock the CO2 released, but it will be too late because we will be gone for an inexorable rise in seas from 4 to 10m or even more than 80m, as there were 13000 years ago, then without our CO2 !!

125000 years ago the sea was 3 to 5m higher, without human CO2 and less than now!
So the climate is naturally very unstable and knows almost nothing about it !!
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"