Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by Ahmed » 09/03/23, 19:08

Yes, that's a good point: what was once a "wildly" burnt waste : Wink: is now reconsidered. Either it is sold to an external processor, or it is recovered internally for sale as pellets or for heating professional premises (case of joinery).

But there is always a way to obtain it for limited needs: thus, my initial source has dried up a little but was enough for me. Let me explain: it was a carpentry that burned its waste in the winter to heat the workshop (condition for setting the glue + working comfort). Due to a lack of sufficient storage space, the waste was also burned in the boiler in the summer, but the heat was rejected outside. They have since equipped themselves with a second-hand press which produces "corks" in a reduced volume and which are kept for the winter. But I was left with the residual sawdust which is not picked up by the vacuum cleaners and which is swept up manually, therefore easy to redirect... I had to change my strategy, however, because my "mole" no longer works there :frown: Since then, I have found impeccable sawdust from a small (very) artisanal sawmill not far from my home... 8) It does not produce enough to consider the solutions mentioned above, but much more than my modest needs since neither my objective nor my mix involves a large amount of this waste...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/03/23, 21:13

New test today of the new configuration with "ablation" of the dynamic compensator which tried to compensate for the insufficiency of the jamming of the lifting arm (by using the weight of the pressing water): I see that it now works perfectly without. I'm almost sorry, because it was a pretty smart trick, plus the bucket holder was also very successful... :frown: It must be considered, however, that these modifications (which I hope, with some reasons, will last) simplify and make the whole of this press more reliable and therefore make it more easily reproducible by possible and welcome imitators. 8)

I take this opportunity to come back to the remark of Christophe on the laborious side of making briquettes compared to classic logging. First of all, not everyone has access to this last resource (moreover limited and all the more so as it would spread) or is not necessarily in a physical condition to take advantage of it, on the other On the other hand, the quantity of time/briquette strongly depends on the logistical and technical environment of this practice and a semi-industrialization remains more possible, even on a limited scale than the previous one. It is obviously in this direction that my future efforts will focus.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/03/23, 21:27

Regarding a point discussed in the previous message, ie the scale, it seems to me that if operating individually remains possible (it's relaxing and less expensive than yoga classes!), a quasi-industrial stage does not is not desirable, since generating considerable energy losses (transport of raw materials and finished products, energy-intensive process, etc.), a median compromise of individuals who use equipment collectively would be particularly interesting and therefore desirable. In this way, the incoming and outgoing flows of materials would remain individual (good management of dispersed waste by definition), but the availability of suitable tools with a certain efficiency (ratio of production capacity/quantity of energy expended) would optimize the time to devote to it (not to mention here the convivial aspect and sociability which would be very appreciable).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/03/23, 22:47

A pretty good documentary on the issue of waste:
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/03/23, 22:56

My answer in 2 seconds: we throw away, because we don't all have Diogenes syndrome! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/03/23, 23:05

Too quick answer: I throw! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/03/23, 23:07

Sorry if I'm lively! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/04/23, 22:15

For those who would like to make paper/cardboard logs with a minimalist but effective material, this assembly made from a commercial multiple mold (about fifty euros, from memory), a "bottle" jack and an easy frame DIY (provide a more robust construction):

You will notice that the author explains (in the middle of the video) his difficulties with water-resistant cardboard...
Recently, I tested a thicker brick: I went from 5 to 7 cm to obtain a caloric capacity closer to a real log: I will see what it gives to combustion. If it's conclusive, I'll have to use a much deeper mold (currently 17 cm), because it's impractical to pour in two steps. With a volumetric ratio of more than 3/1 (3,4/1 exactly), that gives me a mold depth of 24 for 7 cm and 27 for 8 cm. 8 cm, it was the thickness that I was initially aiming for in view of the videos and the pifometric estimate that I had made of it (and which turned out to be false); the various authors are unfortunately silent on this important aspect of things...
The grinder remained in gestation for a long time, but the ideas are becoming clearer; I started assembling the components and even the assembly of the shaft and the cutting tool holders. It's not simple, nor quick, because of my tools, quite rudimentary in some respects... Next step, tracing the location of the knives... 8) Once this step is completed, I will simply build the frame around it... :P
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/04/23, 12:05

Ahmed wrote:Lately I tested a thicker brick: I went from 5 to 7 cm to obtain a caloric capacity closer to a real log:

Out of curiosity, as you mention the desire to get closer to a real log, have you measured or at least estimated the density of your logs once "dry"?

PS: I went through the video. It is certainly an "activity", but what work! :D
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/23, 12:38

Each "classic" log weighs 300 g for a volume of 30*12*5 (e)=1800 cm3, which remains low, hence a modest effect in terms of combustion compared to an "average" wood log. This is why I would like to get closer to this equivalence in heating power. I don't think, weight for pound, my log is performing badly, but it only fits a small log of wood. It remains to be estimated whether a greater thickness does not present disadvantages, for example in terms of drying; I am however relatively confident.
Of course, in this case, it will be necessary to provide a deeper mold which implies the design of a new adapted press, with in particular a mechanism with a greater stroke... (for the moment=>crusher!)

Yes, it's a lot of time spent, but it's still an activity when it's seen as something playful and pleasant. Personally, I find it relaxing... 8)
You will note however that the organization and the material remain to be improved in large proportions and that this desirable process could easily result in a much higher productivity...
0 x