Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by sicetaitsimple » 13/01/23, 16:34

Christophe wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
Christophe wrote:Well, I'm going to try to mix the shredded meat in a soup blender. : Mrgreen: ...

Save a bowl for tonight! It shouldn't be too high in calories and it's full of fibre, I'm sure Obamot would recommend it as the basis of your food bowl!

Sweet or salty ?

If you're not afraid of excess, I think that with a little grated cheese, then au gratin, it must be divine.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/23, 16:40

Let's wait for the opinion of the food bowl expert!

I don't want to spoil! : Mrgreen:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 13/01/23, 16:50

More seriously, I don't really realize, but don't you think especially for those who are "packed" that it will turn into a moldy block? Well, you will answer me rightly that it is part of the experience....
The "Ahmed protocol", with production in summer and accelerated drying in a greenhouse, seems to me more "secure" from this point of view.
In both cases, science is advancing. : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/23, 16:55

It may be more difficult to dry than the nude ones, but the paper perspires... to be continued, so in any case the experience is interesting...

For the moment I am storing the few briquettes in the garage but I will certainly move them to the greenhouse this summer if needed...
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 13/01/23, 17:20

Christophe wrote:Maybe try the method I just explained?

I'll wait for your combustion tests before re-considering it.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/23, 17:21

Good answer...but will have to wait roughly 1 year...

I don't think the amounts of ash are that small...I'm even pretty sure not (or very little...)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 13/01/23, 18:31

Christophe wrote:I don't think the amounts of ash are that small...I'm even pretty sure not (or very little...)

I don't think I'll teach you much, but let's clarify anyway....
What everyone calls "ashes" is what is recovered from the bottom of the stove or boiler when it is emptied in the case of a solid fuel appliance (wood, coal, pellets, "Paper/cardboard briquettes",...). We speak more of "soot" when it comes to a liquid fuel, even if it is also ash.
But there are ashes and ashes.
The "real" ashes are the materials which are not combustible but which are contained in "the fuel", typically SiO2, CaCO3 (CaO once in ash),... Nothing to do there, there is for example coals with 40% ash in India, bah Indian boiler operators have to deal with it. You find all of it in the solids you collect.
And then there are the "false ashes", which are in fact unburned, which would normally have had the capacity to burn but which did not do so because the combustion was incomplete, disturbed or whatever.

We talked about it a little higher, but the papers/cardboards are generally additives with generally non-combustible mineral "fillers". It is therefore not abnormal to have relatively abundant "true ashes".
On the other hand, the quality of the combustion of the briquettes will have a strong impact on the rate of unburned matter, therefore of "false ashes".
This is where the structure of the briquette comes in, its shape, its moisture content,...

PS: I'm going to repeat myself and fiddle once more, but from this point of view the "Ahmed design" with its two through holes certainly seems to me very well placed to optimize the most complete possible combustion of the briquette.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/23, 18:59

Yes, ok: an ash-free paper is a zero-additive paper…

I think it's very rare, it's pure cellulose (I had heard that some banknotes were) and cardboard without additives doesn't exist as you explained before...

In short, the brick in banknotes may cost 100 (new) bricks!

So yes with cardboard paper logs we will increase the combustion temperature but all the fires I made starting with cardboard paper ended up burning wood, so higher temperature too…

You can clearly see the increase in ash with the boxes.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/01/23, 13:10

Christophe wrote:Well I'm going to try a few logs with what I ground yesterday:

(...)

How long do you have to soak for the glues to soak in the water (I put hot water)?

It's been more than a week since I started the first logs I have to approach quarantine... and the sink is constantly filled with shredded material. : Mrgreen:

2 remarks:

a) For the encapsulation I think I have found a good compromise: I no longer encapsulate the ends, which will allow the stick to dry better while being able to be handled without risk...well, with less risk!

logs.jpg

b) A slight acid / acrid smell is beginning to emerge from the sink with the shredded material.

What is going on ? Beginning of fermentation?

So, wouldn't there be a way to hydrogenate these shredded products in order to increase the PCI even if it means including a "basic" chemical product?

Is the cellulose saturated? : Mrgreen:

Sebastian maybe? 8) 8) 8)
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/01/23, 13:17

Yes, the paper pulp begins to ferment after 2-3 days (it obviously depends on the ambient temperature) and small bubbles appear on the surface with a slight sour smell... Don't forget that the cellulose is attacked by bacteria when the humidity is sufficient.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."