Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by Ahmed » 26/05/22, 11:23

To illustrate the "low tec" possibilities of vertical insulation with paper reduced to mush, this video, a little talkative, but interesting (for those who don't understand English, basically it says it sticks to the wall, either by projection, or by simple application by hand and that in finish it rolls the whole thing with a PVC pipe):
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 26/05/22, 14:30

yes, it sticks, but as soon as there is moisture, it falls off in shreds or whole slabs.
Once in a storage hall with an often open door to the outside, the entire ceiling collapsed. And otherwise, on the walls, if not covered, it crumbles well and makes dust. That's why I was thinking of adding glue (wallpaper or flour).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/05/22, 17:02

Yes, there are some precautions to take, you do well to point it out. In the video, the girl indicates that as a finish, she paints the wall with polyurethane (surely there are other possibilities).
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 27/05/22, 20:37

and do you think of testing other "adjuvants" than sawdust, someone had spoken of softwood needles, but one can also think of straw or chopped hay, dead leaves, fine shredded wood. ..depending on what is easily available nearby.
Of course, it competes with direct use in a garden for "soil food", but hey, it looks at each individual situation..
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/05/22, 21:08

I think it would be wise to limit ourselves to the elimination of waste from our activities, which are already plethoric, and exclude directly natural productions which are never waste. Of course, one can imagine situations where it would however be imaginable with regard to particular situations. It is not only in gardens that these substances are fully justified, but also in the forest, where an excessive taste for recovery would constitute a danger for these already threatened environments. I am referring, for example, to these absurd projects of recovering "minor branches" which would deprive the soil of all of what it produces...

As for the press, there are only a few finishing welds + painting and it will be finished (?). I will make you a photo with all the useful comments very soon.
However, and as such, it is only one aspect of the project (a means) and it is better to consider the latter as a whole. This is what I hope to finally be able to focus on now... 8)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 27/05/22, 22:32

Ahmed wrote: Of course, one can imagine situations where it would however be imaginable with regard to particular situations.

Oh there! a stroke of fatigue? I understood the meaning however, finally I think. : Lol:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/05/22, 19:18

You replace "imaginable" by "acceptable" and it's good! : Wink:

Well, for the painting, I'm going to wait to be sure of the "stability" of this configuration, but I made a new support with automatic disengagement and welded all that... Here's what it looks like; on the first photo, we can clearly see the extension of the connecting rod and its new angle; we also note the disappearance of the "cassette"; in the background the bucket is positioned in its place to play its role as a dynamic counterweight:
IMG0095B.jpg
IMG0095B.jpg (255.62 KB) Consulted 1011 times

In this one, showing the back, the bucket is removed so that the flange and the bucket support are visible; the release is repositioned so as to cooperate with the bottom of the flange:
IMG0096A.jpg
IMG0096A.jpg (263.78 KB) Viewed times 1011

Ps: you will notice that I have improved in terms of photo quality...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/05/22, 21:13

Ahmed wrote:You replace "imaginable" by "acceptable" and it's good! : Wink:

Yes. My question was just about the ability of your machine to accept mixtures of course based on paper/cardboard, but with other additions than sawdust.
That you don't know it today, I understand perfectly.
But I was wondering if you were going to give it a try.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/05/22, 22:12

Of course it is possible to add minor components to the basic "recipe": I had mentioned it at the beginning of this thread. It all depends on the type of waste and its other possible and competing uses. In my case*, nut shells** would be possible given their little value for the soil... Bark passed through my grinder would also possibly be suitable... For others, lovers of jam, this will be cherry or plum pits...
However, the proportion cannot be too high: everything depends on a dilution of sufficient quantities.
Even in a limited proportion, such uses are interesting in the case of products that are difficult to burn as they are: thus the walnut shell smokes a lot, probably due to a certain oil content (?), but the insertion in a log must slow down its combustion and improve it significantly (in my opinion, it amounts to the same as bringing more oxygen [I don't know if I'm very clear?).

* I had tried soot at first, but it's clearly not the best method; there are also simpler and less "gross"...
** To avoid this type of combustion, I currently mix (well, in winter!) the shells with sawdust and other waste and pack everything well in paper bags: it burns very slowly and correctly.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/06/22, 22:35

To complete my previous message, I remind you that my objective is above all to reduce a stock of paper and cardboard and that the ancillary waste does not interest me, a choice which may obviously be different depending on the user.

If we want to take stock of this now "stabilized" device, I would say that the principle of operation of the clamp provides comfort and operating flexibility (not to mention the speed) which is much higher than the one-time option considered from the rack. What is open to criticism is having adapted mason's clamp parts: it unnecessarily complicates things and makes adjustments and adjustments quite tricky.
I think, with hindsight, that this principle should have been adapted to the specific characteristics of this use; for example, from a thick round tube (therefore not an ordinary tube, too little resistant to these constraints) welded at the top on the piston (as in my current realization) serving as a high guide and which goes from one piece to at the bottom, without median guide, which comes to slide on an internal round placed at the foot or an external round guide (to see). The training could advantageously take place by a machined part in two parts, subsequently joined together, with an offset: the part on the lever side slightly higher than the part opposite (which corresponds to the normal jamming mode).
The other option, probably more accessible to everyone, would be that of the hydraulic jack* from a suspension spring press, as already mentioned: it remains in my plans to try the possibility and adapt it to this other destination. ...

* Insofar as, I remind you, its characteristics (unlike the usual models) are compatible with the brick press: large amplitude of the cylinder rod allowing the two successive phases of pressing and extraction, foot controls and power limited to one ton, so I guess reasonably fast rate of climb.
0 x