Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by humus » 06/12/21, 10:59

Yes, but using paper as a fuel means saving fossil fuel. Therefore it is as much fossil energy available to pursue extractivism and the destruction of living things.
Dark thought is boring, eh !? : Mrgreen:
I don't know what I have right now I want to be c .. : Lol:
The atmosphere, no doubt : Wink:
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/12/21, 11:10

Humus, you write:
Besides, I don't have enough paper to justify a log press. You should read a paper newspaper.

This is where you are wrong: no need to read the newspaper, it does not add any caloric power to the future log of paper ... : Lol:

All kidding aside, it is very easy for those who would be deprived of it (and who are looking for a way to heat themselves) to obtain paper or cardboard in their surroundings. For my part, I have considerable stocks and the neighbors / friends who know my project have already made me proposals ...

Then you write, with a certain humor:
Yes, but using paper as a fuel means saving fossil fuel. Therefore it is as much fossil energy available to pursue extractivism and the destruction of living things.

Good remark! :P I never said that this project had anything "revolutionary", that will not change anything in the company, in its self-destructive tropism, not more than my activity for the valuation of green waste, but it is a step individual towards greater autonomy and therefore has a potentially collective implication (which I wish) ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 06/12/21, 11:18

Ahmed wrote: it's an individual step towards greater autonomy and therefore has a potentially collective implication (which I wish) ...

Glad to see that you take the small steps into consideration (when you want to : Wink: )

A little light thinking: the paper is 100% renewable, it does not harm anyone to burn it, as long as we do not exceed the renewal capacities of the initial source.

Evil tongues will say "yes, but transport, processing is not 100% renewable by far".
ya could ka : Wink:
You have to start at one end.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/12/21, 11:28

Gegix, I thank you for your encouragement.
You write:
Otherwise, I thought a sawdust oven works well and for a long time?

Yes, the sawdust stove is very easy to build (a can) and to use without special preparation of the sawdust: it is just a matter of packing it strongly around a central mandrel which is removed at the end of the operation. in order to provide a fireplace. Thus, combustion takes place slowly and correctly. It is nevertheless more reserved for workshops and there are some constraints: difficult to modulate the fire (therefore the heat) which will last the time of the charge; in addition, it is necessary to wait for the extinction to recharge ...
It is reserved for those who have an abundance of this material, whereas I only wish to use it as an improver (optional), since it is the ridding of paper and cardboard that interests me.

Humus, I am not against small steps, but against asserting that these are enough and above all to deck them out in mystifying tinsel that conceals reality, which is the promotion of what they claim to be fighting ... : roll:
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 06/12/21, 11:34

Ahmed wrote:
Humus, I am not against small steps, but against asserting that these are enough and above all to rig them up with mystifying tinsel that conceals reality, which is the promotion of what they claim to fight ... : roll:

In any case personally, I do not assert that.
We are at a point where we must move forward from all sides, small steps and long strides.
The great stride being either a sustainable world or a tax hype of the current one.
We have the choice, in addition : Mrgreen: it's better than TINA, right?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/12/21, 13:18

Humus, you write:
In any case, personally, I do not assert that.

... and I don't blame you! But this is the fairly explicit message of many authors of ecological entertainment ... : roll:
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 06/12/21, 13:39

Ahmed wrote:Humus, you write:
In any case, personally, I do not assert that.

... and I don't blame you! But this is the fairly explicit message of many authors of ecological entertainment ... : roll:

Ye I'm not convinced that Gunter Pauli claims to save the world with his little arms (his little solutions : Wink: )
That he claims that it is necessary to be inspired by the blue economy (ecosystem rather than pole of excellence which produces waste), that I want well. And he has a really good idea. : Arrow: little step.

I've never heard of him going out of the system, neither has Dennis Meadows, though since then! : Lol:
Either they think we have to get out of the system but society is not ripe : Arrow: They would then be completely inaudible. (overton window)
It's like Jancovici, I'm pretty sure they'd be for an exit from the system. (Hints)

Either they do not think that it is necessary to leave the system but in this case, the 3 cited would be very good visionaries and completely incoherent ??? : Shock:
I doubt .
If with arguments they think they are coherent in not wanting to go out, they have to explain something to me! ( a large ! : Lol: )

Well, the Christmas log press is not making much progress! : Lol:
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/12/21, 13:54

humus wrote:Well, the Christmas log press is not making much progress! : Lol:

Ah! all the same, something concrete.

What interests me too is the treatment of cardboard and newspapers, before going to press. : Lol:

With parties and carnivals gone, there's a plethora of papier-mâché.
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 06/12/21, 17:22

humus wrote:Ye I'm not convinced that Gunter Pauli claims to save the world with his little arms
I've never heard of him getting out of the system,

complement here : Arrow: economie-finance / understanding-the-world-we-live-in-t16917-410.html # p477822
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/12/21, 18:42

@ Gegix; The treatment * before pressing consists essentially of soaking for a day or two followed by grinding with a propeller at the end of a drill or a passage in a concrete mixer (sawdust is incorporated at this stage). Another advantage of sawdust, in addition to those previously mentioned, is that the grinding of paper is done much more easily in a fairly liquid form and when we pour the sawdust (which does not need to be ground), the proportion of water is reduced and thus a more pasty, more consistent mixture is obtained which facilitates pressing. This gives a dough which is ready to be pressed.

* I have some experience in this field having made some tests of "papercrete" or paper-binder), mixture of paper fiber (therefore cellulose) and lime to obtain insulating building blocks.

I see a social interest in the production of paper logs, because energy poverty has a bright future ahead and when I see many anorexics in the wallet resorting to petroleum stoves, of such a toxic and expensive use *, I said to myself that it would rather be a clear gain on both counts.
* But with a good performance, inevitably, the combustion gases being released into the house!

The issue of plastics as waste is also of concern. There are hardly any solutions apart from recycling which, when it takes place, only concerns the recoverable fraction. I had examined the reverse transformation into oil (back to square one!), But the heat balance is disastrous if we want to recover something suitable. The Bretons launched the "Chrysalis" project, if I remember correctly, but it is a transformation of a lot of electrical energy into a little bit of hydrocarbon energy ... The only gain being that it removes a little bit of plastic, but as it is in any case only applicable as a demonstrator, to make things pretty ... : Oops:

We are not well there, do not to talk about covid :?: :P
0 x