Reuse glass jars

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Reuse glass jars

by the middle » 24/02/13, 12:05

Hello everybody
I saw in the store of the site, lids for glass jars.
A friend often reuses these jars, without new lids (risk)
But I have a question:
Can we sterilize these closed jars? air will come out like normal sterilization jars?
PCQ, the normal ones used for sterilization have a rubber seal, which lets the overpressure pass.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 24/02/13, 15:44

End

my grandmother did not use a perfect glass jar, she reused her old jam jars, to make jam anyway.
and it would keep for an easy year until the next harvest ...

She stored these jams upside down so that there is no air to get into them ...

I'm done the same way, tell you if they lasted long I can't have been eaten quickly :) and offered .. no time to grow old lol ...

On the other hand it is not an overpressure that there is going to be in the pot but a depression;), the hot air in cooling will compress and therefore tend to suck the outside air that is why there is a tight seal and it is difficult to open the pot ...

suddenly whatever the cap provided it keeps a seal it does ... you can even add wax on the top of the jam to complete the seal ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 24/02/13, 16:34

My wife has been using commercial jam jars and their lids for 2 or 3 years.

We are still alive! :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 25/02/13, 17:57

Yop, I finally have a little time to answer:
Either you misunderstood me, or I expressed myself poorly,
I explain again with other words:
When I sterilize normally, I immerse my jars (special jars for sterilization) in water, and heat them for a while in water at x degrees (depending on the food to be sterilized)
When my pots are drowned in water air escapes by the overpressure generated by the rise in temperature inside the pot.
Now the question:
If I use recovery glass jars (not wek style sterilization jars), with lids like Cristophe sells, does the same phenomenon happen? (I'm talking about air escaping by dilation of the water)
I'm talking about metal covers without the famous rubber seal.
Ti li understand me or not? : Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 25/02/13, 18:09

these covers serve as safety valve: if the pressure rises the notches which take on the glass thread bend a little and that lets the pressure go out ... and after cooling the pots are in depression

so that this valve effect is achieved without permanently damaging the cover, they should not be tightened too tightly

it can be interesting to tighten them once while they are hot before it is put in depression by the cooling

the glass jars can be used a lot of times, the lids a little less ... it's really a good idea to sell these lids at retail on this site!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/02/13, 18:11

At the factory we make various kinds of sauce and we simply fill the product to 97 ° C and conservation is done.

In the case of reused pots, we put them in the oven at 120 ° C while being sure that they reach 95 ° C in this way we are sure that the pot is also sterilized, we leave the lid on taking care that it is not tight and it lets the hot air escape then it is tightened firmly by removing the pot from the oven.
: Mrgreen:

Sorry Chatelot your message came out while I was writing mine but it matches what I said.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 25/02/13, 18:36

Ha !, the message got through! :D
This recovery of various pots is important for the following reason:
When we love people, we offer them pots of "good food", but the pots rarely come back. :?
Hence the idea for me, to use these glass jars, to offer the fruit of my work, without being afraid of not finding my jars.
Thank you for sharing your wise knowledge.
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 25/02/13, 19:32

I also use glass jars. especially those of compote.
In fact we buy the compote to get the pot.

I am in the greenhouse for my jams. Once the pot is full, I
close and pass it still hot in the wek pan during
10 minutes. I used to bake but half the time it stayed there
too long and the jam had a strong caramel flavor.

Prepare like this the jams go to the cellar and stand up to the
mice, mold and time.

It is possible to buy covers in certain drugstores / hardware stores such as Fontaine Beauvois and Tecniba.
0 x
gina
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gina » 25/02/13, 21:00

How to keep your jams in the best possible conditions? There are several methods of closing pots, classified into two categories, namely "hot" or "cold" potting.
it is important to take care of the cleanliness and the sterilization of the pots: just before using them, place them in boiling water for 5 minutes, remove them with pliers and let them drain and dry on a clean cloth by returning
Hot closing with screw covers (Twist-off):
It is the most common method these days, with the advantage of being quick and easy.

After the last cooking of the jams, distribute it in the jars. Screw the lids onto the jars by pressing on them. Then invert the pot until completely cooled to create an air vacuum which will guarantee the conservation.
Hot sealing with cellophane squares:
It is the ideal method for jellies. It is however more delicate, because not being sealed under vacuum, the jam remains subject to variations in temperature and ambient humidity. Store it in a cool, dry place.

After the last cooking of the jams, distribute it in the jars, making sure to leave at least 2 cm of space between the jam and the upper edge of the jar. Moisten one side of the cellophane square with a sponge. Place the square on the pot, wet side outwards and pull on the edges to stretch the paper as much as possible to leave no creases. Close with a rubber band.
Cold closing
The cold closure keeps its followers despite everything, because it offers the advantage of making it possible to judge the final constitution of the jam before it is put in a jar: if it was not cooked enough, or too liquid for example, we may still make cooking or preparation corrections.
Cold closing with screw covers (Twist-off):
To create the cold air vacuum, when this naturally occurs only when the jars of jam cool, use the following method: Pour a teaspoon of alcohol (gin or vodka) that you have heated in a small saucepan; ignite it and immediately screw the lid onto the pot. The rapid extinction of the ignited alcohol will cause a vacuum effect and will seal your jars for storage. Avoid using alcohol that is too fragrant to avoid destroying the flavor and aromas of the jam.
Cold closing with paraffin:
For cold closures, this is the most common method:
In a small saucepan placed in a double boiler in a larger saucepan, melt a block of paraffin over low heat and very slowly: be careful, because paraffin is very flammable and must never come into contact with a flame!

Then remove the pan of melted paraffin (it should be transparent) and let it cool slightly.

Then pour very slowly 3 to 4 mm of paraffin over the cold jam in each jar, and allow to harden.

Then, to open the jar, gently press with a finger on the side of the paraffin plug, levering it to remove it.
Cold sealing with paraffin is the most airtight of all closing methods, but if you use this method, close the jars the day after cooking, to be sure that the jam is completely cold and stabilized.

gina
0 x
gigi :D
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/02/13, 21:12

Welcome here Gina!

Waaw 2 girls registered in 3 days!

We have class guys! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x