Reuse glass jars

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/03/13, 19:33

Hello Rabbit!

Here the standards are very high because of the USA which imperatively tries to block our exports at home, which brought standards like Haccp and others more severe.

Here it is the zeal of the provincial government that is shameful, when vacuum packaging became the norm here, these idiots came up with idiots as such or such cheeses cannot be vacuum-sealed when it was completely wrong, I lent them a vacuum packaging machine and provided the studies of Europe so that they correct their deficiencies having never done any tests on any product and advancing on absolutely nothing to decide what was good or not that their baseless judgment.
: Evil:

At the federal level this kind of deviance was not felt since they had previously had their own experiences and of course they had acquired near food processing factories where an approved inspector is mandatory.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Did67

by Did67 » 02/03/13, 11:08

1) I think you have to distinguish between "potting" for yourself (after all, you have the right to commit suicide!) And "potting for sale" (it is normal that the standards are more severe, the number of users infinitely greater and he has the right to buy healthy goods "...

[which does not mean that we should not discuss standards, the application made of them, the agri-food lobby ..)

2) In the same way, we must distinguish "products without great danger" (jams made with 50% sugar - what we risk is mold) and "dangeurex products" (meats, patés, Bolognese sauces, etc.). . with risk of botulism, which can be devastating and fatal).

We have been reusing for a long time all the jars with their original lid for jams, compotes, coulis, meatless tomato sauces (which we add at the time of preparation) ... We fill them well while still boiling, we return immediately, and that's it ... and never any problem so far!

[yes, it's Madame who usually does; we garden together; I "turn" the pots - so I participate, when I'm there!]
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 02/03/13, 12:10

We have been reusing for a long time all the jars with their original lid for jams, compotes, coulis, meatless tomato sauces (which we add at the time of preparation) ... We fill them well while still boiling, we return immediately, and that's it ... and never any problem so far!

Hello,
For me, this is the main thing to remember.
So I'm talking about the technique.
But there, in addition, I would add that Christophe had the good idea to sell new covers.
I purposely advertise (when I'm for) when the idea is great.
And for me, it is.
Know that already poland reused its pots in this way 25 years ago, and long before ....
For me, there is nothing more sensational to add to this post.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Did67

by Did67 » 02/03/13, 12:50

Ah, I forgot: we fill almost to the brim. I therefore think that the question of air escaping does not arise ...

And indeed, it must be checked that the incorporated seal (light rubber band) is not damaged ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/03/13, 14:01

filling to the brim will not prevent what fills the pot from degassing or expanding, therefore forcing the joint to leak, and possibly leaving leaking fibers

I prefer to leave the level 1cm below the cover so that the seal remains clean

with a level below the convercle, the volume of air can be compressed to absorb the expansion of the liquid, and even if the pressure rises too little deformation of the cover is enough to let out the air or steam

if it is filled to the brim, with the expansion of the product it is necessary that the product comes out, and if it is too thick it will require a large deformation of the cover, which may no longer be properly sealed
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/03/13, 18:01

Yes.

Do we get along. We leave a little room (I said: "almost" to the brim). And indeed, you have to wipe off the "burrs" to have a clean seal (and allow easy reopening)
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 13/06/13, 09:55

- It is written somewhere:
“It is not what enters the mouth that defiles man; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles the man. ” (Matthew 15:11)
- Following disciples of Jesus who took their meals without washing their hands ...
- So, if you are sick after eating something, do not look at what you have eaten, but rather at some word out of your mouth!
- The most severe health standards will be of no use as long as man curses his neighbor: he will fall ill without a "logical" explanation!
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!