Report container park and sorting in Belgium

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

Report container park and sorting in Belgium

by Christophe » 08/09/06, 21:47

With Christine we decided to do a little photo report the next time we go to the Park at Conteners (== the local waste or rather the sorting center) to bring our waste of the month.

You will be able to see how the sort is pushed here in Belgium (no mixing of different plastics, the cardboard on one side, the papers on the other, waste electrical, green waste ... etc etc) .. hoping that all this is really valued at the end of the chain :)

If you have any remarks or advice before the realization of this report (normally for Saturday in 8) do not hesitate!

I hope that Idelux will allow us to this but I do not think there is any concern ... well, we never know ...

Here is the final report:
https://www.econologie.com/tri-selectif ... rs-idelux/
https://www.econologie.com/tri-selectif ... -idelux-2/
Last edited by Christophe the 04 / 10 / 07, 14: 52, 2 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 09/09/06, 10:23

Good, you decide yourself:

where you speak Belgian and you write CONTAINER as in English

or you panic and you talk about CONTAINER! : Lol:

good idea anyway.

that said, I gripe harshly against "my" container park: in the TL tubes department, they repack you with your eco-friendly lamps to the bulky items department: it seems that they cannot find value for them.
Now, this stuff, it contains mercury!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 09/09/06, 10:52

In France, recycling centers are private companies. As such, each center chooses what it accepts to recycle or not. What they do not recycle is simple, they refuse it and people are forced to take it back.

The result is blatant: if you want to know what a recycling center refuses, just look in the ditches around the center. People not wanting to take home the waste rejected by the center, sway 100m further : Evil:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/09/06, 10:52

elephant wrote:that said, I gripe harshly against "my" container park: in the TL tubes department, they repack you with your eco-friendly lamps to the bulky items department: it seems that they cannot find value for them.
Now, this stuff, it contains mercury!

Yeah the "bulky" containers are a little "stain" in the parks ... you know if it's sorted (generally there is something recovered in the style of sofas, carpentry ...) or buried afterwards?

For the neon at home there is a specific thing, against the classic bulbs go in bulky ...

Shit for "conteners" I didn't know :D I never read the Idelux plate in detail but I think it's contained here ... (ardennes)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/09/06, 10:55

Targol wrote:In France, recycling centers are private companies. As such, each center chooses what it accepts to recycle or not. What they do not recycle is simple, they refuse it and people are forced to take it back.

I take the example of Strasbourg (the only one that I know) I do believe that it is a recycling center managed by the Urban Community ... on the other hand, sorting level is a bit "fair" (if I remember correctly), there are only 3 or 4 containers with:

1) Metals (whole washing machine included ...)
2) Wood
3) Green waste
4) Gravas of building style concrete or breeze block ...

Now there may be also kkchoz for tires or liquid chemical waste ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 09/09/06, 11:33

Christophe wrote:I take the example of Strasbourg (the only one I know) I think it is a waste managed by the Urban Community ...

In Strasbourg, maybe that's it.
3 or 4 deception that I know in Brittany and the southwest are private (licensed by a local authority, but private anyway).

Besides, it's not the private side that bothers me the most, it's the fact that these centers do not accept everything. There is one I knew (but I do not remember where) who refused the paintings : Arrow: The surrounding ditches were stuffed with old pots of half-rusty paints in the process of puffing their poison in the wild.

This kind of "filtering" of waste produces exactly the opposite effect from that expected by setting up recycling centers.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 09/09/06, 12:26

Christophe wrote:I take the example of Strasbourg, I believe that it is a recycling center managed by the Urban Community ... on the other hand, sorting level is a bit "fair" (if I remember correctly), there is only 3 or 4 containers with:
1) Metals (whole washing machine included ...)
2) Wood
3) Green waste
4) Gravas of building style concrete or breeze block ...
Now there may be also kkchoz for tires or liquid chemical waste ...
In Orléans waste management facilities run by the urban community.
In addition, there is a box for cartons, another paper for periodicals.
A depot tires, gas bottles, solvents, paints, oil, and also plastic bottles, glasses.

It's about to throw a whole couch in the all coming, or even a pure wool mattress, it's annoying.
Although, as a handyman-recuperator-sickly, what disturbs me strongly is the prohibition to recover in the dumpsters, planks, rafters, tubes or dishes of ferries, bikes almost intact .. While it's still "recycling" par excellence!
The dump sites are there to recover the many obsolete products of the consumer society, to prevent it from returning to the circuit of use and cause a shortfall in the market. The rubbish in the principle, are useful, but managed in this way, they are only an alibi, a cache misery, to fade the misdeeds of overconsumption and waste. And thus allow to continue in this commercial practice, even if it is a race forward, and in the wall ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 09/09/06, 12:56

gegyx wrote:Although, as a handyman-recuperator-sickly, what disturbs me strongly is the prohibition to recover in the dumpsters, planks, rafters, tubes or dishes of ferries, bikes almost intact .. While it's still "recycling" par excellence!
The dump sites are there to recover the many obsolete products of the consumer society, to prevent it from returning to the circuit of use and cause a shortfall in the market. The rubbish in the principle, are useful, but managed in this way, they are only an alibi, a cache misery, to fade the misdeeds of overconsumption and waste. And thus allow to continue in this commercial practice, even if it is a race forward, and in the wall ...

Totally agree with you, Gegyx.
That's where the big nuance between
  • the recycling : which consists of dismantling (destroying) manufactured objects to recover the raw materials in order to reinject them into the industry
  • reuse: which consists in recovering damaged objects, repairing them and thus giving them a second life. (Example: Emmaus)
We thus see 2 very different philosophies:
  • In one case, there is destruction and reconstruction of something else with a lot of energy (some recycling or even a negative ecological balance) and necessarily through the industry.
  • In the other, we have a reuse after very few changes so little energy used and at a craft level or even particular.

The worst part is that the 2 are not incompatible: at a certain point, certain objects are no longer reusable but only recyclable. On the other hand, for those who are not in this case, it would be good to have a "reuse" bin in the waste centers.

As for the ban on collecting in the dumpsters, I'm like you, it gives me a little. I unfortunately believe that it is just a story of insurance (if you hurt yourself in the dumpster, the recycling center is responsible). Only solution, recover the object before it is thrown into it by negotiating with the "thrower"
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 09/09/06, 12:57

there is something for fluorescent tubes (20, 40, 65 W long), but they do not want eco lamps!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
delnoram

by delnoram » 09/09/06, 13:55

elephant wrote:there is something for fluorescent tubes (20, 40, 65 W long), but they do not want eco lamps!

they do not want eco lamps either, but would they accept the eco tube's only tube?
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"