Recycling: what to do with CDs and DVDs?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Recycling: what to do with CDs and DVDs?

by dreamer » 14/02/07, 13:48

Hello tlm.

I do a little cleaning in my room and I wonder once again what I could do with my old CDs because it hurts me to just throw them in the trash, knowing that they will be burned or buried, while 'they contain dirty elements.

Are there places in Belgium where they would get this?
Or, if not, where is the best place to bring it?

We look forward to seeing you!
Dreamer
Last edited by dreamer the 14 / 02 / 07, 14: 04, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/02/07, 13:53

Very good question, I have often asked myself the same ...

Maybe we should think about a second life use ... the same for the covers ...

My parents put a few of them (CDs not sleeves) as a "scarecrow" on their cherry tree, but it's not heavy ....
0 x
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 14/02/07, 14:03

This factory does exist:
http://www.usine21.org/spip.php?article29

But it's expensive to send 200 cd by post: /

Dreamer
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/02/07, 14:22

Nice link, I did not know at all, if there was one thing to remember it was probably this:

A certain number of companies, like “polymer-reprocessors”, have been able to demonstrate through their practice that CD / DVD recycling is technically feasible and economically viable. So despite the fact that the incineration of CD / DVD does not pose major environmental problems ( : Shock: ), this rather represents ecological nonsense insofar as it is quite possible to achieve, by recycling polycarbonate and polystyrene, a saving on the non-renewable resource that is petroleum.

dreamer wrote:But it's expensive to send 200 cd by post: /

Dreamer

Well especially that it is ... in Switzerland ... (therefore outside the EU ... with customs and all the revelry ...)
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Recycling: what to do with CDs and DVDs?

by Christine » 14/02/07, 19:24

dreamer wrote:Are there places in Belgium where they would get this?
Or, if not, where is the best place to bring it?

Container park request ...
0 x
Simon
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Recycling: what to do with CDs and DVDs?

by Simon » 15/02/07, 21:09

Hello everybody,

I am a member of the aforementioned association, Usine 21 (eh, yes, it is not a factory, but an association for the promotion of innovation in sustainable development, and no, we do not recycle CDs , but there is a student who analyzed this subject, and if all goes well, we will continue this study this spring (if you want to be kept informed I invite you to subscribe to our mailing list on www.usine21.org.

What is interesting to know is that indeed in terms of the impact on the environment during incineration, CDs are no more problematic than for example a plastic bag. They consist of approximately 15 grams of polycarbonates and a few milligrams of metal (aluminum or an alloy).

Sending CDs to a recycling plant is worth it ecologically, if you have a certain amount, but economically, you even have to have very large quantities to make it interesting. For small amounts, it is better to invest your money in an ecological bulb for example.

Still for interesting information, the market value of 1 ton of CD / DVD is around 400 to 600 euro (therefore quite interesting), but the markets are, as far as I know, very underdeveloped in Europe. It seems that there are companies that export this to China, and the ecological balance immediately becomes doubtful.

I hope to have more answers soon on this subject.

Simon
0 x
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 16/02/07, 00:28

Oops sorry to have confused your name with a real factory : Mrgreen:

Well, I'm not going to wait a ton (unless we all get started? I have 1 kg here: p), I will resign myself to throwing them away hoping that Gaia will not be mad at me :)

Thanks for the info in all cases

Dreamer
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 16/02/07, 08:11

Hello
Sony has just discovered that DVDs can be recycled into fireproof plastic.
DVDs are reduced to powder heated to 260 ° C and with a pinch of magnetic tapes of video cassettes (flame retardant).
This gives a styrene whose DVDs represent 85% of the mass of the final material.
0 x
Earthman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Earthman » 26/02/07, 19:08

I must say that there, I hallucinate! :D

If the question was "how to recycle used batteries" I would understand, but DVDs and CDs!?!
And why not books or paintings ???

So, for starters, DVDs and CDs are fairly economical media that are used to reproduce (and keep) CULTURAL products !!!! : Evil:

So, it cannot be recycled, it can be SOLD, or at worst (!), It can be given.

You haven't Emmaus or The Salvation Army in Belgium?

And then, what's on these CDs and DVDs: shameful things? : Cheesy:

Sorry, it escaped me ....
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 26/02/07, 19:59

EarthMan wrote:And then, what's on these CDs and DVDs: shameful things? : Cheesy:

Sorry, it escaped me ....

Did you decide to make friends from EarthMan the first day ??? : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

To answer you, on some, there are indeed shameful things like "Windows Me", "AOL subscription", etc .... it's disgusting !!!!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding