Tire recycling

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Tire recycling

by abyssin3 » 23/06/06, 11:09

Some recycle tires in an original way: by building roads ...
: Shock:

Tires once recycled can be used to make "rubber highways": this concept will allow the reuse of abandoned railways as roads for trams and cars. This technology was invented and developed by HoldFast Level Crossing, one of the world's leading suppliers of level crossing systems. Its systems are made of rubber and the company has already used around 10 million recycled tires for their construction.

The HoldFast Rubber Highway (HRH) uses elongated rubber panels between and around the rails to create a level, level surface for the passage of cars. The advantage of these rubber panels is their speed of installation and the ease of maintenance (easily removable). In addition, rubber is also very interesting for its acoustic qualities: traffic noise is reduced compared to asphalt.

In terms of the environment, the use of rubber from recycled tires certainly enters the problem of reuse of raw materials and waste treatment: for each mile (1,609 km) of this road, 354.000 recycled tires will be used . Another environmental aspect is the use of abandoned rail tracks: in addition to preserving these tracks, this will allow traffic congestion, thereby reducing pollution linked to traffic jams. Another benefit is the cost of this system: installing a mile of this road is expected to cost 1,4 million pounds (about 2 million euros) versus 20 million pounds (about 29 million euros) for a classic route.

A first test of this system will take place on June 1, 2006 near Corby in Leicestershire. Its purpose is to study the performance of the system, already used for level crossings, under "normal" driving conditions (sudden acceleration and braking). It is funded by the WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Program): originally the WRAP was a government program established in 2001 for waste management but has since become a non-profit association funded by the Department of Environment , Food and Rural Affairs (Defra, Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) and the devolved governments of Scotland, from Wales and Northern Ireland.

Source: This information is an extract from BE United Kingdom number 67 of 8/06/2006 written by the French Embassy in the United Kingdom. Electronic Bulletins (BE) are an ADIT service and can be accessed free of charge on www.bulletins-electroniques.com
Illustration: HoldFast Level Crossing

http://www.techno-science.net/?onglet=news&news=2833
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 23/06/06, 11:10

one of the advantages is that you have to use your tires less on this kind of road ...
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 23/06/06, 11:14

Hello
The wear and tear I don't know but the grip is fabulous!
@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/06, 11:29

It is not really a novelty (in the same genre: gym mats or outdoor play area ... There is even one at Leroy Merlin ... that is to say ...) .... it be that the tires are recovered and valued more or less systematically.

Which is still far from being the case in France (although I think it is one of the most recycled products in% but good when you start from 0% not very hard to do better) ...

I am surprised that Michelin itself did not find recycling processes ...
0 x
zac

by zac » 23/06/06, 11:47

Econology wrote:I am surprised that Michelin itself did not find recycling processes ...

Hello

Michelin is a company that earns money, tire recycling is structurally defective (the only factory I know of lives only thanks to subsidies); so Michelin does not care : Evil:
Alain Lepic who set up this factory in Brittany (near Redon), struggled for years to find the cash, then some time before the process was complete (the steel blades do not like rubber at all). : Evil:

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)

This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by paotop » 15/07/06, 14:48

for information.

I am a professional, when I buy tires from my suppliers, I am charged around 2 € HT per motorcycle / HGV tire for collection and recycling.

collection and recycling, the color of which I have never seen !!

well, my money must pay someone well ...
0 x
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 15/07/06, 15:29

Paotop you are a nice professional, the last time I changed my tires, my supplier charged me back these two euros.

Zac fabulous grip indeed !!!! For sliding friction it is great !!!

What about bearing friction, impact on consumption?
0 x
Macpherson
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Macpherson » 17/07/06, 20:43

a rubber road ??
and if there are bumps on the road, we bounce ??? : Cheesy: 8)

I work in a dealership, our tires are indeed recycled .. but in a surprising way. According to the truckers who work for a collection and recycling company, 3/4 are sold in Africa, others are retreaded and the rest would be used for recycling (I am thinking of the roads, but I really don't know).

I imagine our old 504s with AX tires as inner tubes !!!! : Cheesy:
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 18/07/06, 15:35

Must see the grip that remains after the coating is wet ...

Otherwise recycling issue, in African countries, they manufacture flip flops with used tires ....

SixK
0 x
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 19/07/06, 00:49

: Lol:
Yes in Africa, they have black feet, traces of gum can not be seen on the feet.
For us other pale faces, c pluto annoying!
And then spend two hours a day cleaning your feet that’s not fun.
Besides, in this regard, is it good for the environment?
Because all the same, it makes very black dust, and it could, the tires !!!
0 x