Salt Recycling - Sodium Chloride - Brine?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Vivinou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Salt Recycling - Sodium Chloride - Brine?

by Vivinou » 02/12/09, 11:25

Hello!

I would like to know if there are applications other than the current consumption of salt (or brine), road salting ... etc:
- Insulation in houses?
- Industrial uses?
- Fuel???

I ask myself the question because the number of desalination plants is growing, and the salt that is extracted from the water to make it drinkable is currently finished either in landfills (pollution therefore, by sterilization of the land), or in water (increased salinity of water).

So finding a use for all this salt seems essential to me!

++
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 02/12/09, 12:03

It works very well for screwing trees
neighbors in all discretion. But I am not
not sure that it is industrially applicable.
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Salt recycling - sodium chloride - brine?

by oiseautempete » 02/12/09, 14:18

vivinou wrote:Hello!

I would like to know if there are applications other than the current consumption of salt (or brine), road salting ... etc:
- Insulation in houses?
- Industrial uses?
- Fuel???

I ask myself the question because the number of desalination plants is growing, and the salt that is extracted from the water to make it drinkable is currently finished either in landfills (pollution therefore, by sterilization of the land), or in water (increased salinity of water).

So finding a use for all this salt seems essential to me!

++

Salt has no other "profitable" use, the decomposition of salt makes it possible to extract chlorine and sodium (in the latter case, it is useful but its extraction is very costly in energy (heated salt). in liquid state + electrolysis) ...
Pollutant? Sodium chloride from desalination plants is released into the sea in the form of brine, NEVER in "landfill" (who told you such nonsense?) ...
Otherwise, if it were really necessary to store it on earth, there are enough salt mines for that almost everywhere in which it would not pollute anything at all ...
0 x
Vivinou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Vivinou » 04/12/09, 15:27

Re,

Thank you for your answers. If I take the wikipedia page (which doesn't have a lot of science, of course):

The disadvantages of desalination
Still high energy cost
Rejection of brines concentrated to twice the natural salinity at sea or injected into the soil;
Rejection of hot water at sea in the case of distillation;
Use of chemicals to clean the membranes (chlorine);
Traces of copper escaped from the installations;
No specific legislation concerning the potability of the water resulting from these treatments.

So yes, you're right, it's injected into the ground: I may be schematically.
But the concern that I see is above all the increase in the salinity of the water near the desalination plant, which can cause a change in ecosystems.

And finally, if this "waste" from desalination can be recycled, that's not bad anyway, right?

++
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 05/12/09, 11:09

vivinou wrote:So yes, you're right, it's injected into the ground: I may be schematically.

Injection into the ground is not a drawback when it is carried out in an underground layer of salt: do you know for example that the bottom of the Mediterranean contains several layers of salt (which are moreover the proof that this sea has closed several times), that there are many salt deposits and layers of salt water at saturation in the land (the best known in Lorraine, but there are also deep dry layers or layers of salt (depth estimated different stratifications up to 5000m!) in Alsace for example (see the old potash mines which are relatively shallow), which come from ancient seas filled with sediments for 250 million years?
Salt only "sterilizes the land" if it is on the surface, which happens in particular when over-irrigating areas where it rains little, for example in China or around the Aral Sea. ...
0 x
yvescharnier
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by yvescharnier » 21/10/14, 17:19

[moderated by Flytox]

No commercial links and especially for this category .... and without any relation to the subject .....
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/10/14, 20:52

the sea is very liquid! when you desalinate sea water you throw in water a little more concentrated in salt which is easily diluted in the rest of the sea: this is therefore not a problem

the problem of increasing the salinity of the sea would only arise if we built a huge desalination plant, so huge that the salt can no longer be diluted by the sea, I do not see in which case it could happen
0 x
AXEAU
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by AXEAU » 22/10/14, 14:37

Hello,
A desalination plant next to a salt worker who wants to collect salt will kill two birds with one stone. :D

jlg
0 x