Recycling of old CDs and DVDs

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
PHILIPPE MENUDIER
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Recycling of old CDs and DVDs

by PHILIPPE MENUDIER » 13/10/09, 12:01

RECYCLING OF CD - DVD

CDs / DVDs are increasingly used as a medium for storing all types of information (computer data, films, music, photos, etc.). Increasingly, data saved on CDs is also tending to be transferred to DVD, which has more storage capacity.

DVDs are moreover likely to be replaced in the future by BLUE RAY technology itself, using the same type of media.

On the strength of this observation, the IPM FRANCE company based in NICE has developed a unique system in France to ecologically demetallize these computer media (see photos)

CDs are therefore demetallized by a 100% mechanical process and ground into particles of 3 to 4 mm

the production capacity is 140 CD / Mn.

CD / DVD thus find a new life as a substitute by-product as a secondary raw material in the plastics industry.
The recycled CD allows once demetallized to manufacture a varied range of products based on Polycarbonate.

It is estimated that several million CD / DVD wastes could be recycled if the information was widely disseminated.

At the same time, the company IPM, already present in the field of recycling of different waste since 1993, has been able for a few months to offer industrialists recovering D3E, businesses and individuals a new solution for the recycling of CDs and DVDs.

This new service results in:

1 - Save traditional landfill and disposal costs (dumping in a waste bin, incineration, burial, etc.)

2- allow, with the assurance of effective recycling, to eliminate customer stocks for surplus manufacturing and obsolete productions from phonographic distributors -

3- provide a new selective collection service in line with the ecological / sustainable development trend, a significant increase in selective sorting as part of a 100% elimination process for ultimate waste recommended in the various legislative texts and in ISO certifications 14000

IPM therefore offers a CD / DVD waste collection service at two levels:

For manufacturers:

1- We send a big bag of 1 m3 planned for about 350 kg of CD / DVD, they fill it at their own pace, and send it back to our processing center located in Grenoble.

For individuals, schools, university centers, computer stores, etc.

2 –We provide a special cardboard packaging at the price of € 19 excl. Tax (€ 22,72 incl. Tax) (see our site)
www.ipm-recycling.com which can hold 400 CDs and a weight of 4 kg
The outward and return shipment + recycling of 400 CDs is included in the overall service thus offered
Last edited by PHILIPPE MENUDIER the 15 / 10 / 09, 19: 08, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/10/09, 15:26

Interesting but the "attached film" is missing ...

How are the raw materials valued after treatment (in which areas)?
0 x
PHILIPPE MENUDIER
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

RECYCLING CD

by PHILIPPE MENUDIER » 15/10/09, 19:01

I can watch the film on our site:

the link is:

http://www.ipm-recycling.com/recycle_cd.html

:?

polycarbonate-based applications are many and varied:

POS displays, pens, etc ...