Recycling in question

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
enzo20134
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Recycling in question

by enzo20134 » 07/11/10, 19:24

Hello,

What is the most, the best and the most cost-effective way to recycle steel, carbon fiber composites, aluminum or plastic?

How much weight in% steel would a “all aluminum” car body save? % Gain for PVC or plastic and / or carbon fiber composite?

I know that the answer is not obvious because we do not use these materials in the same way and each one at the limits of processes etc ... but your answers interest me.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/11/10, 20:07

currently only aluminum and steel are properly recycled: they have real value

even recyclable plastics have very low value and when recycling is not profitable it is not recycled!

fiberglass or carbon fiber are hellish mixtures impossible to recycle

aluminum allows "some" relief but is more expensive, which explains why we are generally satisfied with the good old scrap

carbon fiber makes it much lighter. more expensive, not recyclable at all, and more serious without any absorption of energy in the event of an accident: it is this problem which makes that we will prefer for a long time the good old scrap (and aluminum too) which absorbs a lot of energy by folding, while the carbon fiber is completely pulverized
0 x