Recycle white spirit by decantation

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 24/04/13, 19:52

Hello,

For important painting work, no need for white to clean the brush, put it in a tightly closed freezing bag (expel air) at the end of the day. However, it must be reused as much as possible within 2 days. Operation renewable until exhaustion of the paint pot.

Or leave the brush in the pot if level low enough.
0 x
roy1361

by roy1361 » 24/04/13, 19:57

Gildas wrote:For important painting work no need for white to clean the brush, put it in a tightly closed freezing bag (expel air) at the end of the day. However, it must be used to the max within 2 days .

Hello,

Thanks for the trick. Does it also work with linseed oil? (I am treating a log table, and the drying time between two "coats" being at least 24 hours ...)

A+
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 24/04/13, 20:01

Not tried with oil, must give it a try ...
0 x
roy1361

by roy1361 » 24/04/13, 20:16

Gildas wrote:Not tried with oil, must give it a try ...

It's for this weekend, I repeat ...

;-)
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 24/04/13, 20:27

Hello
roy1361 wrote:
Gildas wrote:For important painting work no need for white to clean the brush, put it in a tightly closed freezing bag (expel air) at the end of the day. However, it must be used to the max within 2 days .

Hello,

Thanks for the trick. Does it also work with linseed oil? (I am treating a log table, and the drying time between two "coats" being at least 24 hours ...)

A+

the other method is to wrap the brush in transparent plastic food (Saranwarp) that Madame uses, it is enough that it is waterproof, it's good for a few days.
the same thing for the paint can started in a transparent kitchen plastic, push it up to the level of the paint and close the cover with the plastic.

Andre
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/04/13, 21:03

roy1361 wrote:
Gildas wrote:Not tried with oil, must give it a try ...

It's for this weekend, I repeat ...

;-)

Whether it dries by evaporation or by oxidation, if you soak your brush well with the coating, it will surely last several days (I would say without worry a week.)

By cons it would not be advisable to do this with brushes of great value amha. Because painters dip their brushes in water before using them. But if you freeze them, (and in the hypothesis where the wood of the brush would have swelled by the water) it will cause it to expand and probably explode the fibers.

So I would say that if you stick to your brushes, you have to take them out of the freezer before they have frozen (which will create a brutal fall and stop the process as desired) and then put them in the fridge at the very bottom in the vegetable drawer (well packaged). But there it will be less cold, so the slowdown will last less time!
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 25/04/13, 11:58

@obamot: if I read correctly, it does not indicate to freeze the brush, but to put it in an airtight freezing bag while expelling the air.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/04/13, 12:32

Thank you, error on my part: note that if it was not proposed: I suggest putting it in the fridge (that's what I did) and there for once, it is guaranteed that it delays the process drying (2 actions: flexible plastic film which prevents the solvents from evaporating + the cold which slows down the process). Mea culpa, I had concluded a little quickly.

chatelot16 wrote:or did you see that the solvent vapors are light? in my house they are heavy and accumulate on the ground

so to have clean air to breathe the only solution is to take the air far enough, therefore compressor mandatory

Well yes, in this case you are right. You have to see the config. places.

Note that if your air intake is two meters from the ground outside, the stale and hot air which will be expelled from your lungs will be lighter, so it will evacuate (ie will mix) anyway, and if in your hose you have a capacity of 10 liters, your Co2 will only represent 1 / 9th, it is negligible! By cons, my thing goes for DIY, for the pros your proposal is much better.

chatelot16 wrote:I have known several body painters who have ruined their health ... it may well use masks with filters that are quite expensive, I doubt the effectiveness: with a small compressor there is no longer any need to change of filter ... the flow sufficient to breathe passes in a light and flexible pipe ... this flow avoids all the leaks of any mask

It is a shared opinion.

chatelot16 wrote:I find it a little lamentable that this system is not seen in the trade ... as if the material merchant preferred to sell filters to replace

Lamentable yes. Note, it seems to me that there is a sophisticated system with an air cylinder in a fairing to be worn on the back.
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 26/04/13, 11:48

In fact you have to use these tools with a diving suit : Cheesy:

http://www.paperblog.fr/5147235/sapristi-l-air-n-arrive-plus/
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 26/04/13, 15:53

I have already found in a DIY store (but I lost it in a move, impossible to send you a photo) a superb "pincelier" made up of 2 containers and a junction with grippers for the brushes. This makes it possible to store the brushes "suspended" in the solvent and the 2 nd container serves as a cover to limit evaporation.

(sorry, no image found on google)

note: the term pincelier is entirely correct.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be