"Citizen's humus": Composting of urban bio-waste

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: "The citizen's humus": Composting of urban bio-waste

by phil53 » 27/03/18, 08:32

Recycling on site would be ideal
Except that poorly managed a collective compost becomes a rotting machine which attracts among other things rats (I have identified 2 cases) As city chicken coops clea can quickly become a source of nuisance or even public health.
Even people with ecological sensitivity are not ready for surface composting.
Those who see what I do find it dirty, they are less shocked by the plastics on the street.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/03/18, 09:14

dede2002 wrote:
Did67 wrote:Remember I still dream of a "phenoculture" model (the term is incorrect, therefore) consisting of separate collection of "fermentable biomasses" and "cold surface decomposition" ... to produce vegetables in a very short circuit (at the scale of a municipality) ...

In the grouping of communes around my home there is almost, the decomposition is done at the edge of the fields in big windrows which are then spread, one could directly spread on the field for a decomposition of surface, one would avoid the stage of the brewing windrows ...

https://acade-agro.ch/projets/gcbc/compostpanneau1.pdf

Interesting.

The question of transport is above all that of distance. So the more we reduce, the better the balance C. The question of the cost of collection is another factor, linked mainly on the one hand to infrastructure and technical means, then to human resources. There, people are victims of the "false free": they have become accustomed to "services" for which they do not perceive the cost enough, which is socialized and integrated into "charges", "taxes", taxes ... If at each collection, as at the cinema, they were asked for a 10-euro ticket, they would be inclined to take their waste to a site at the entrance to the village ... People are relieved of their responsibility - who do not ask that, moreover!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/03/18, 09:18

phil53 wrote:Recycling on site would be ideal
Except that poorly managed a collective compost becomes a rotting machine which attracts among other things rats (I have identified 2 cases) As city chicken coops clea can quickly become a source of nuisance or even public health.
Even people with ecological sensitivity are not ready for surface composting.
Those who see what I do find it dirty, they are less shocked by the plastics on the street.

It would be to verify that a decomposition of surface in thin layer attracts the rats (more than a composting platform).

It is true that they are "commensals" of human activities. So as soon as you "focus" it can become a problem. Undoubtedly on a "market gardening site" which would treat the waste on the surface, it would be necessary to fence (for predation with two legs first) and to let run some chines-ratiers! There are some very effective, who would love it!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/03/18, 09:50

In the case which interests me especially, green waste in order to produce BRF, short circuit collection is to be sought as a priority and rats are not problematic ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 27/03/18, 11:53

Rats are problematic especially for poorly composting
In my regularly stirred composter I never had one.
Thanks to Didier now he is dismantled
I am also convinced that it is necessary to grind and keep on site the brf
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 31/03/18, 15:17

For the moment to recycle bio-waste there are big industrial projects, and small initiatives like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfgbBuT8GM

Ps: indeed, concerning the figures put forward in my first comment, there are some errors and shortcuts but the problem of the absence of an economic model remains real for a local recovery of bio-waste.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 01/04/18, 14:39

Here is another short video from the same organization (the alchemists) explaining their process.

What is very interesting is the use of a "digester": a cylindrical tank into which the crushed bio-waste is poured and which speeds up the composting process.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/04/18, 22:10

Selection r against selection K ...
These are applications formatted for the city. Household waste can be treated more simply in rural areas.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 02/04/18, 09:28

I'm wondering :

a) on sustainability: electrical cost vs. "service provided" (ie value of the compost produced)

b) on "replicability": cost of the system in relation to the quantity processed; activism and volunteering has its limits; if you have to pay someone even the minimum wage (and with that we don't live in Paris!) for 1 year, it's around 20 euros (including employer charges). Added to this is the amortization of the installation. For how many tonnes of waste treated? Who pays ?

At first analysis, it seems to me the typical "bobology"! I would be "serious skeptical". In my opinion, in 1 or 2 years, we will no longer talk about it ...
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/04/18, 09:58

Did67 wrote:Remember I still dream of a "phenoculture" model (the term is incorrect, therefore) consisting of separate collection of "fermentable biomasses" and "cold surface decomposition" ... to produce vegetables in a very short circuit (at the scale of a municipality) ...
and for the transmission of diseases, parasites and seeds? Not to mention all the critters it attracts : Wink:

The composting platforms make swaths 2.5 m high with temperature management, humidification, regular turning and final analysis, to offer a healthy product, so I have doubts for cold composts precisely
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"