EPSON: honeycomb cardboard VS polystyrene

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 18/07/15, 14:52

unfortunately I have no precise figures on the balance of the current recycling system

my last data from the time when a scrap dealer bought paper and cardboard at a certain price: the white office paper had a good value justifying its transport, the cardboard packaging had a low value, and the least transport cost more expensive than the value of the cardboard, I conclude that putting cardboard in the recycling bin costs money to the community: I prefer to put it in my fuel heap for the winter, it costs nothing to anyone and saves me some other fuel

I find the polystyrene superior in protection efficiency of fragile and even heavy objects ... at home it has better value than recycling since I reuse it
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/07/15, 15:06

We should already find the figures for manufacturing ... to compare the total cycle!

Your testimony is interesting but maybe it is "out of date" isn't it?

Already if the cardboard is not profitable at the transport level, excuse me but the expanded polystyrene (of much lower density) must be even less! What is air transported ...

If we had to compare only the cost of recycling with transport I am sure that cardboard is more interesting ...

The best would be to find precise figures ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 18/07/15, 15:06

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:I will check this on the boxes ...

Verification made: the 2 products are ... Made in China ... :|

Would Epson have a stronger green conscience than Sony?

There is not much "Japanese" that has been "Made in Japan" for a long time.

The Big Macs of Japanese McDonalds are always in printed cardboard packaging.

Apart from the thermal insulation of the home, expanded polystyrene is very little used.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 18/07/15, 15:21

With the current fashion of waste disposal, we can no longer know the value of recyclable materials ... we believe that it is a good action to put recyclable products in the right bin and it is often a waste

the quality of polystyrene is that it is durable! anyone can reuse it as an insulator ... it is durable so even if it is stoked no matter how well it keeps and can be used ... which is not the case of the cardboard which disappears completely if we leave it under the weather

I do not like polystyrene in housing because it is too flammable, but mixed with glass wool or pouzolane in reasonable proportion it is no longer sufficient enough to spread the fire
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 18/07/15, 15:30

Christophe wrote:... The best would be to find precise figures ...

The Japanese have the JEPSA (Japan Expanded Polystyrene Association) which is fighting for the return of expanded polystyrene in order to build a "Subtainable Low Carbon Society". Help !!! : Shock:

The site: http://jepsa.jp/en/ (English)

Comparison of expanded polystyrene / cardboard in energy consumption, CO2 emission and the weight of solid waste created for the packaging of a 32 inch LCD TV. According to JEPSA…

Graph link: The site: http://jepsa.jp/en/environment.html

One of the arguments is that expanded polystyrene contains 80% or 90% air ... Very good, but it is a handicap for transport because of the volume. Ditto for waste. Then, in a recycling center we only accept perfectly clean polystyrene and as it is very often soiled, it is the trash and the incinerator.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 18/07/15, 15:45

It confirms what I thought: polystyrene is not bad ... we were still confused with a recyclable certe cardboard, but bad because it is not economical to recycle ... even a non-recycled polystyrene succeeded to be more economical therefore more ecological

I sometimes recover dirty polystyrene which has been mixed with garbage: I leave it in a pile outside at the weather ... it lets the garbage rot ... and it ends up being usable as insulator but not insulator in housing : rather insulating in less clean stuff

the wind must not take away the heap ... for this there is enough vegetation growing around
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 18/07/15, 20:27

the polystyrene is shredded and then glued with corn starch to make new shapes. It is infinitely recyclable ... if the industry exists in the region.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/15, 12:12

Leo Maximus wrote:Comparison of expanded polystyrene / cardboard in energy consumption, CO2 emission and the weight of solid waste created for the packaging of a 32 inch LCD TV. According to JEPSA…

Thank you for this research, indeed: cardboard has a heavier impact than EPS according to this study ... even with the most recycled cardboard possible (case 2)!

We also see that cardboard recycling has limits: not so interesting compared to new! In all cases unfavorable compared to EPS .... Chatelot was therefore right ...

However, this study does not take into account the non-renewal of the EPS ...

I do not understand the scale of the solid waste graph: g / packaging = very low ... It would not be Kg rather ???

ps: I will soon test the EPS-based stain I bought a sculpture from a woodcutting competition yesterday! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/07/15, 15:28

to recycle polystyrene put it in cushions of beanbags or insulation ... but to make varnish seems to me a trap ... any plastic in any solvent does not make a film-forming thing ... that risk of making a plastic deposit which cracks when drying so does not protect anything at all ... just a waste of solvent

there are some who make insulation with blown glass wool in bulk ... dying of expanded polystyrene mixed with glass wool will have the same effect, with a proportion of polystyrene sufficiently low not to be fire propagator
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 20/07/15, 15:34

To treat wood ... a cocktail of turpentine and linseed oil is so much less greasy than napalm ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"