Arte, the curse of plastic

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

Arte, the curse of plastic

by Christophe » 12/01/10, 19:45

How to deal with the ecological threat posed by plastic waste?

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 20:35 PM

repeats:
14.01.2010 to 10: 15
The plastic curse
(Germany, 2007, 85mn)

A wacky and very documented round-the-world trip.

Cities and countryside, mountains and deserts, rivers and seabed: plastic waste has invaded everything. While this material has only been around for a century, it will still pollute our environment in thousands of years. The report is alarming, but awareness is beginning to be made on a global scale. Not only is it important to make fewer plastic objects, containers and packaging, but their recycling could be improved. Companies now offer alternative solutions. The stylists get involved and offer decorative items, dresses and accessories in recycled plastic! It would also be possible to make materials with the same virtues as plastic but biodegradable, using plants. Bioplastic, so to speak. A fascinating journey alternating between shock images (garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean, Indian open dumps, the beaches of Hawaii ...) and words of experts.

http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,broad ... =2010.html
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/01/10, 09:24

Basically, it all makes sense: with plastic, the possibility of mass production of an object appeared in a few seconds of work for an automatic machine, or even less.

If we compare with the early sixties

Mom was lining up at the butcher's, who wrapped in paper, then flew into the trash to be burned, or even into the stove (we had a huge charcoal stove)
For lunch at school, I took a gourd filled with grenadine, my father had his thermos of coffee
The only presence of electronics in the house was a huge radio in the living room (with all the records, anyway) and the telephone from 1939 lasted until 1970.
The brewer passed with his horse-drawn cart and took back the empty bottles (porcelain lever caps)

Now:
- 3 minutes in the butchery department to buy plastic trays. (which still allows us to buy exact portions)
- my wife's pupils come with half-liter cans or PE bottles (fortunately, in schools we are very stuck on PMC sorting)
- very rare is the year when you do not buy five or six "well-packaged" technological or decorative objects
etc ...

Anyway, it's not won ...
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/10, 10:39

elephant, plastics are not just packaging even if they are the most "disposable" forms of plastic! I think that in terms of tonnage they are largely in the minority (20% max I would say including the packaging diver), LeJuste will tell us more since it is his job!

It was not bad, especially the "alternative solutions ie bioplastics".
Impressed by the plastic "that melts" in the water!

But it's like with biofuels: why is it that manufacturers would use a process that costs them X times more for the "same result"? Since 99.99% of consumers still suffer from it today?

When consumer demand for "organic" plastic has passed a certain stage, then that will really change ... but not before! Except some "sporadic" actions like this one: https://www.econologie.com/bioplastique- ... -4203.html
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/01/10, 12:55

... and why do we want to bury Co2 instead of spending this money on engineering to avoid producing it ...?

Because there is money to be won of course ...

What is a shame is that there is also enough to live in econological R&D. It all depends on the choice of priorities: the stock market or life ...? : Cheesy:

In fact they were these two shows, worthy of appearing in the video library of the fo-fo?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/10, 13:08

I don't know what a fo-fo is but yes they were good (a bit long on the "pollution") I only looked at the beginning of the 2nd.

In the 1st doc he spoke of a treatment of plastic bags by "vapor" (vapor cracking?) Which transformed waste and plastic bags into "compost" of very good quality ... Funny ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/01/10, 13:29

... yes and the second part shows that things are moving (Utopia in Germany, etc.)

NB: fo-fo is a diminutive of "forum", no?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/02/10, 15:49

Apparently things are moving, at least in France:

Bioplastics in France: large retailers are committed

On November 19, 2009, during the Mayors' Fair, an agreement was signed by the Federation of Commerce and Distribution (FCD), bioplastics manufacturers (Club Bioplastics, Plastics-Europe and Elipso), the Association Mayors of France (AMF) and the Ministry of Ecology, Energy, Sustainable Development and the Sea.

Agreement by which they undertake to promote the sale of bioplastic garbage bags. The main retailers "will develop a varied and reasonably priced offer" of bioplastic garbage bags. This agreement should make it possible to increase the visibility of the offer, to raise awareness among consumers and to promote the development of organic recovery channels (by composting or anaerobic digestion) of fermentable waste.

Suite: https://www.econologie.com/bioplastiques ... -4230.html

Text of the agreement: https://www.econologie.com/convention-po ... -4231.html

Extract:

Work to increase the share of raw materials of plant origin contained in bioplastic waste bags while ensuring their interests in terms of
reduction of the environmental impact and the equivalence of technical performance:
- 2009 minimum rate 40%
- 2011 minimum rate 50% target 60%
- 2018 minimum rate 70% target 90%

It's progressing, it's progressing ... but I'm still puzzled about bioplastics since the failed biodegradability test that I did (or was my sample "wrong"?): https://www.econologie.com/forums/amidon-de- ... t6726.html
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 03/02/10, 17:25

No problem, you have to make pellets and use them as energy, since there are no more dangerous products ...
0 x
See you soon !
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/12, 23:11

0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"