CNRS: an "eternal" plastic made in France?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 18/11/11, 16:03

Shade:

It is also impossible to reshape them as is done for example with metal or glass.

it's not the same as fixing
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Flytox

Re: CNRS: an "eternal" plastic made in France?

by Flytox » 18/11/11, 23:09

chatelot16 wrote:thermoplastics can be remelted forever ... of course with a drop in quality at each fusion exactly like metals or glass ... we never remake a new bottle with only old! the composition must be checked and corrected with new products

they also say that the current composite materials do not repair! Have they never seen a polyester and fiberglass boat repair?

+ 1;

When they remelt their plastics, the ground material is taken as a filler, and not really as "pure sugar" product and to keep a minimum of mechanical properties they are limited to a certain percentage.

In Aeronautics, many composite elements are repaired routinely and "easily", by injecting resin into delaminated spaces etc ... by adding fibers, fabrics, layers, resin etc ...
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 18/11/11, 23:11

Obamot wrote:You supply yourself with a plate that you thermoform afterwards, right? If so, who are the plate suppliers?
Well, I used to work in a box that sold ... I kept scraps ... Otherwise, I recently got my supplies from a box that does the detail and the cutting. I just took a look at the directory, 15 years ago, a dozen companies occupied this sector of activity in Bordeaux, there are not 5 left today.
:|
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/11/11, 00:46

wi, wi thanks, but which ones? Or rather which manufacturer / s - supplier / s and what is this material called? What is its packaging? In plates? In roll? What dimension / thickness?

I had started looking for building supplies ... But everything I found was hardly practical.

I intend to make mud guards for my minibus, of about 120 cm x 70 cm (per wheel) mounted on aluminum cross members / brackets on existing anchor points and fixed by plastic bodybuilder rivets (because I do not want put nothing as anti-gravel or bitumen, since you do not see rust appear => therefore you cannot intervene from the start ...).
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 19/11/11, 01:57

Well, for what you describe, we can consider expanded PVC 3mm thick.
It is easy to work with a heat gun, but the gravel will leave traces of impact.

Polycarbonate is more resistant but heavier and less flexible to work.
I would rather tend to realize your project in thin glass fiber to be upholstered directly to make custom.
I would start by lining your wing interior with strips of newspaper wet with water and then with taping glue.
When dry, I would cover the newspaper "mold" with fiberglass.
Once the fiberglass is dry, I will turn it out to remove the newspaper.
Then put the protection back in place.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/11/11, 06:47

Thank you for your answers. Great idea for paper strips, :D I do not know...

citro wrote:Well, for what you describe, we can consider expanded PVC 3mm thick.
It is easy to work with a heat gun, but the gravel will leave traces of impact.

Okay ! And if I squirt over tar spray, will it hold onto PVC? Because in this case it is he who will take the impact of the gravel, and voila! :-)))

(And in this case, I can also make a light mold in papier maché, to protect my paint during thermoforming ...)

citro wrote:Polycarbonate is more resistant but heavier and less flexible to work.
I would rather tend to realize your project in thin glass fiber to be upholstered directly to make custom.
I would start by lining your wing interior with strips of newspaper wet with water and then with taping glue.
When dry, I would cover the newspaper "mold" with fiberglass.
Once the fiberglass is dry, I will turn it out to remove the newspaper.
Then put the protection back in place.

Ok, the result will be better and probably more durable, but I have no closed garage, so I think that with a max temperature of 10 ° C, I will have trouble keeping all of this in place (I think I will have to find a temperate / heated garage for 1 month ...)

1) the upholstery glue will not have time to dry in just a few hours under these conditions, will it?

2) what thickness do I use? In number of layers of paper sheets? (About).

3) as I understand, once my mold is finished and dry - which I leave permanently in the wheel arches - I will first coat it with resin properly in the desired area, then I will put the canvas fiber (how many layers interspersed with resin?)

4) once the resin is dry, I will unmold by spraying the paper which will peel off by capillary action, right?

5) can I integrate pieces of aluminum (some parts of my support bracket) which would reinforce in the fixing zones? The advantage would be that the aluminum would take the compressive forces during tightening / assembly, which is very bad for fiberglass. The disadvantage: the metal must be well coated with resin and not too thick to keep a certain flexibility, so as not to create a rupture zone, in the long run, by fatigue of the "sandwich" produced!

6) How would this sandwich behave with temperature changes?
Last edited by Obamot the 19 / 11 / 11, 07: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
Giul
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Giul » 19/11/11, 07:26

To return to the new plastic, an explanatory video with interview of the inventors:

http://www.futura-sciences.com/fr/news/ ... rre_34717/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/11/11, 08:37

Thank you for the additional information, direct link to the video http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmd2be ... ovant_tech

Bigre the CNRS invented the transparent "PASTA"? : Cheesy:

: Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 19/11/11, 08:57

Yeah ...

I find that this material is from the family of thermoplastic polymers, which can be shaped hot and which harden on cooling, reversible way.

Now it seems to me that it would be better to talk about industrial applications rather than marvel at this "revolutionary" material.

According to the video, the cold elasticity is more marked than for the usual thermoplastics, which are rigid or even brittle. We could perhaps consider large joints by injecting this material into molds ...

To see for the cost ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/11/11, 09:14

Much more than that I think ... to see the deformation temperatures ... which if they are low (or lowerable) can open the door to many possibilities to exploit its shape memory.

Like, let's dream a little, building materials whose properties change according to the T ° ...
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"