Solar bike to Kazakhstan

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
kazaktrike
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Solar bike to Kazakhstan

by kazaktrike » 15/03/13, 12:15

I'm going to Kazakhstan in late June by solar electric bike!

The challenge: a sports expedition pure, a challenge respectful of the environment but also, above all and above all a human adventure to discover other cultures. My route will allow me to discover the Balkans via a route along the old iron curtain. I will also roll around the aral sea, unfortunately known for the environmental disaster of which it is the subject. I think I would make many other discoveries during the 10 000 km and 100 days how long will this trip last!

My trike is made up of three wheels and I pedal down. I also count on the sun to supply energy to the photovoltaic panels placed on the trike and the trailer. Energy accumulates in the batteries. It is then returned to the engine placed in the rear wheel. This hybrid vehicle, 50% solar energy, 50% muscle energy, was born in my garage. The tests are promising, judge for yourself on the video of my prototype available on my website.

http://kazaktrike.tk/
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 16/03/13, 00:45

Hello ,

beautiful too in sight, I wish you only pleasure and beautiful meetings ...

And above all, very nice motivation with a low hat for this human adventure which will no doubt be full of unforgettable memories.

Nice trike ... really nice ...

May the sun and the road be with you :)
0 x
kazaktrike
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kazaktrike » 16/03/13, 12:22

Thank you for the encouragement, it's very motivating 8)

I work all weekend on the trike and trailer ... I place a PVC plate to close the trailer, wait to see the final result! It will be more beautiful than the structure Alu.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 16/03/13, 13:35

do you only rely on solar energy or do you recharge your batteries at night?
0 x
Click my signature
kazaktrike
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kazaktrike » 16/03/13, 13:37

I am in complete autonomy. No charging sector at all! Even my electronics are recharged with solar panels.
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 16/03/13, 15:03

Bonjour,

I also said to myself that a kind of pvc breeze in front of the trike would be a good idea:

1 / not to take too much wind in your head (less cold), or water etc.
2 / to have a better Cx therefore less effort to provide

As for cleaning the said window, a simple manual activation windscreen wiper connected to the front support of your solar panel. This will not really increase the final weight but, will be able to bring you a lot better when you are subjected to the bad weather ...

But this is just an idea of ​​course ...

you will have beautiful thighs when you come back;), in addition to beautiful memories ....

During the bike ride from when I was younger, there were three of us and bikes well loaded with everything we needed, then I did quite a few other trips with other types of vehicles ( on foot also not bad), what I got out of it as conclusions:

As for clothes: take the minimum and prefer to do laundry regularly in the river, therefore provide a 100% natural and organic degradable soap.
I imagine that you know the coldest temperatures that you may have, so focus on it, it is simple to remove layers when it is hot, but the reverse is not obvious ...
Priority therefore has clothes that keep warm with a minimum of weight.

Personally I was very very pleasantly surprised by the fleece from DKtlon (even if it's Chinese it's very effective) ...

On the stove side, you have the practical and not heavy little wood gas stove, which can allow you to have only a small amount of bottled alcohol to use in an alcohol stove for example;) ... weight, efficiency and availability of fuel fairly simple ... and making it is very simple as much for the wood version as the alcohol ...

But I think you have already thought about or discussed this with other travelers ...

Could you also if you want to explain what your package will be made of, this can be useful for future travelers, and once back you can take stock of what it is useful or not to have ...
0 x
kazaktrike
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kazaktrike » 16/03/13, 15:52

It is true that there are windshields, it is not bad for the two advantages that you say.

The only problem is that I enter my trike from the front and that with the windshield, if it is not removable or rotatable, it is not practical.

On the other hand, I like the fact that the trike is quite open ... It's more user-friendly, I think.

For the stove, I take a Primus Omnifuel, I was told a lot of good :-)

The clothes, I work on it, it is clear that I am interested in traveling light. I intend to take inspiration from the list made by the gas who made the MSF World Tour. It looks pretty good to me. I'm going to make my own list and put it on my site when it's ready :D
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 16/03/13, 17:13

re,

for the windshield, you can mount it on a hinge probably in a fairly simple way.

But I also understand the user-friendly side, but when you are alone riding with wind and rain (I wish you not to have too much wind and heavy rain on the head and downhill too often anyway it's tiring ), the friendly side will no longer be a factor that you will take into account I think ...

As for the stove I did not know the primus thing ...

It is a stove that requires burning fuel gas, or diesel, gasoline etc, nothing to do with a simple stove has burnt alcohol, see has ethic alcohol;) kind vodka or calva very beefy that we find everywhere.

examples here of any style of stove:

http://zenstoves.net/Links.htm

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

http://wiki.davidmanise.com/index.php/R ... %A0_alcool

one example among many others on how to make an alcohol stove:

http://www.randonner-leger.org/wiki/doku.php?id==p3rs

lighter you can't ...

as for the wood gas stove, here the theory and prefabricated model, I am built with a simple can, the top being to add a small computer fan like 2 w to 3 W.

in the most successful version I made I heated 1 L of water in a kettle in 15 minutes ...

http://zenstoves.net/Wood.htm

one example among many:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthrea ... ove-part-2

These are only parallel solutions of course but which have the advantage of requiring fuel that is found everywhere and easily.

Regarding the food, do not take the aluminum option and think about your health;) ... prefer stainless steel even if the heating time is increased due to the fact that stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat , but is let's say a stable metal compared to aluminum ...

For the guys I see that you are on the right track;) ...

Frankly I am wholeheartedly with you and I would follow your adventure with pleasure, like some others I think;) ....

In addition to me who had in mind to make me a trike to me and electrified (following a lot of discussion here on pollution among other things, you just motivated me definitively, I put myself in search of the various electrical elements, as for the trike cel it's been a long time since I already have all the info, and that I'm already one for my daughter;)) ...
0 x
kazaktrike
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kazaktrike » 16/03/13, 20:10

I understand your point of view for windshield, it is true that under certain conditions, it is clearly advantageous.

In my case, I go in summer and last year, there was rain only one day over the whole month of September in Kazakhstan. Maybe I will make one for the wind if I find a good swivel fixing system. We will see how I progress in the project.

For my stove, gasoline, kerosene etc I will find it everywhere, which is not the case with wood. The Primus stove I chose is very powerful and the essence is stored tightly in the bottle. I have already tried it, you should not wait long at all before having boiling water. I'm not sure that with a homemade stove you get as good performance but hey, it's true, the Primus is more expensive and heavier.

For electrical equipment, I bought a kit from Crystalyte, they are very efficient!
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 16/03/13, 20:37

kazaktrike wrote:I am in complete autonomy. No charging sector at all! Even my electronics are recharged with solar panels.

Do you really tweak your simulation of solar production because I think it's too fair in total autonomy.
even on the consumer side, it's limited.
as you say on your site, you can expect an average consumption of around 10Wh / km.
tess batteries, once archi full make almost 1000Wh.
you will therefore be able to do "almost" 100 km. you have no margin if you plan to do 100kms per day. and beware, a trike + trailer with luggage and batteries is as heavy as a dead horse once the batteries are empty. it is therefore absolutely necessary to have margin on the rolling side.

quoted refill now:
you have 250Wp of panels.
by being nice, I think you can count on an average production power of half that is 125W.
to fill 1000Wh, it would therefore take 8 hours of exposure.
it seems a bit limited.
one solution that i had imagined for a friend who was preparing a similar trip to morocco was to roll in the morning very early and in the evening and to leave the panels in ideal exhibition the rest of the day by orienting them during the day.

in short, I say mistrust.
0 x

Click my signature