To go from old diesel to scoot elec?

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

To go from old diesel to scoot elec?

by Forhorse » 22/09/18, 10:59

Hello everybody
Little personal reflection and suddenly questioning about a possible change of means of transport.
The combined fact of a recent test of an electric vehicle and the increase in the price of diesel makes me say that I will soon have to give up my old diesel car from 1994.
It has just passed the technical control, but I think it will be the last time and therefore I think I will stop servicing it outside the classic filters / oil changes. In the event of major mechanical trouble or unavoidable major maintenance, I should probably part with it so as not to incur any costs on a car that will irreparably break up in maximum 46 months.
This is our second car, given its age, it almost only helps me to go to work.

I travel at least 80 km / day to go to work, it's around 18500Km / year
I consume between 5.2 and 5.6l / 100km
extra-urban journey 98% of the time: I live in the countryside and I work in the countryside, between the two just a ring road of a small town.

Ideally I would like to switch to an electric car ... but I'm afraid the used models have too little autonomy for me (I have to do a minimum of 80km per day in summer and winter) And the new models are downright off budget for me, the fuel savings made do not make it possible to compensate for the purchase price if we reduce all this to the price / km (depreciation included, and even taking into account the fact that I go from a vehicle of almost 25 years old has a new vehicle)
I looked a bit on the side of electric carts, like Twizy, the model 45 is not suitable for the roads taken: at 45km / h with that I find myself stamped by the first semi-trailer that arrives. the model 80 does not have sufficient real autonomy (60km max in winter). Not to mention the dissuasive price with regard to the vehicle's capacities, size and equipment: undoubtedly great in the city and outskirts, downright unsuitable for the countryside (and that's not what it's sold for, we can't so don't blame him)

So in my quest for an "ecological" vehicle (well, let's say with more realism, more energy efficient and less generator of GHGs and particles) and economical in use with a reasonable cost of ownership I considered the electric scooter .
So clearly a 125 equivalent to have a sufficient speed to stay in the traffic flow and not be overtaken by trucks and those who respect speed limits (for drivers by cons ...) and with sufficient autonomy to not having to reload at work (my boss would appreciate moderately I think)
But hey, the 2 wheels I have not redone since my 18 years and my license, and 4 years in 50cc it does not necessarily leave only good memories (rain, cold ...)
Given the region, I tell myself that it is possible to ride on 2 wheels without too many inconveniences at the start but at the end of September, that is to say only 5 months in the year. By pushing a little, and not being too delicate, it should be possible to do half the year on a scooter.

it would therefore make at best 9000km per year by electric scooter. The rest being provided by the old diesel pending its final withdrawal from circulation. Hoping that the reduction in km to go will at least allow him to go to the next TC without too many pitfalls.
It will then be time to find a replacement (electric? Recent petrol? ... we'll see)
The first question concerns the savings made and the depreciation of the scooter ...
I saw that it takes around 5500 € for an equivalent 125 elec scooter.
So the idea is not that fuel savings fully finance the purchase of the vehicle, even if it would be ideal, we must remain pragmatic; buying a vehicle automatically results in financial loss. We only reason in terms of profitability in a business, I am not a business ...
So the idea would already be to quantify the savings made annually by riding 50% of the time on an electric scooter. See if the purchase is supposed to be in terms of the sacrifice of comfort or if it's just a whim / a fad that makes no sense in terms of my modest budget.

Are there among you users of electric scooter equivalent 125?
First, I look for real consumption (from plug to wheel) in order to quantify the savings achievable.
And well, all testimonials and feedback is good to take, either from people who drive all year round on 2-wheel elec, or only in summer and keep their car for the winter.

Thank you in advance
0 x

Back to "Electric transport: cars, bicycles, public transport, planes ..."