Technically successful solar cooker?

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Technically successful solar cooker?

by sicetaitsimple » 26/04/20, 19:29

GuyGadebois wrote: but I think Moerteen would like to have a real solar oven and not a traditional or DIY electric oven with a resistance powered by panels. It is much more ecological, we will say.

Much more ecological? A gadget that will only serve a hundred hours a year at best in our latitudes?
If our friend wants to indulge himself with a "real" solar oven, I have no problem with that. But let's not talk about "much more ecological".
1 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 26/04/20, 20:13

sicetaitsimple wrote:Much more ecological? A gadget that will only serve a hundred hours a year at best in our latitudes?
If our friend wants to indulge himself with a "real" solar oven, I have no problem with that. But let's not talk about "much more ecological".

Let us compare, Chou, the carbon footprint, raw materials, energy and water spent to manufacture "A few PV panels for less than 100 € each for self-consumption and an ordinary electric stove *" and a solar oven made from a few pieces of sheet, "we" will realize that this oven is good, sorry, much more ecological than your DIY.

* I suppose that we will directly feed the oven via the solar panels, without going through the rectifier / inverter box and others. Is not it ? And it will be easy to carry it with you on vacation, picnic or to friends ... : roll:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/04/20, 20:58

GuyGadebois wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:Much more ecological? A gadget that will only serve a hundred hours a year at best in our latitudes?

Let us compare, Chou, the carbon footprint, raw materials, energy and water spent to manufacture "A few PV panels for less than 100 € each for self-consumption and an ordinary electric stove *" and a solar oven made from a few pieces of sheet, "we" will realize that this oven is good, sorry, much more ecological than your DIY.

* I suppose that we will directly feed the oven via the solar panels, without going through the rectifier / inverter box and others. Is not it ? And it will be easy to carry it with you on vacation, picnic or to friends ... : roll:

In fact I have already said, it is in our latitudes a gadget, even more with the specifications imagined (internet connections, ...).
But I do not care completely .... Our friend spends his money as he wants, if he finds the object that will make him happy.
But hey, not the "ecological" side in argument ....
Here, calculate the annual energy recovered for cooking in the thing of which you put the photo .....
1 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 26/04/20, 21:20

sicetaitsimple wrote:Here, calculate the annual energy recovered for cooking in the thing of which you put the photo .....

What next ? First calculate the carbon footprint of your DIY and then we can talk. As for the usefulness of what you call "gadget", what about the barbecue, pizza / bread oven and other plancha that we use 10 times a year and which make us happy despite everything. Where is the fun side of powering a traditional oven with solar panels? More stupid as a solution, you die. You suspected it a little when you wrote "I'm going to be lynched, but too bad!". : Mrgreen:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/04/20, 22:09

GuyGadebois wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:Here, calculate the annual energy recovered for cooking in the thing of which you put the photo .....

What next ? First calculate the carbon footprint of your DIY and then we can talk.

No tinkering, just an electric stove connected to an indoor network supplied more or less by PV, depending on the sun, the season, .... with any supplement coming from the network
Ah, the carbon footprint of PV would not be good?
It would be interesting for you to develop, because it does not seem to me to be the dominant trend on this forum. It could interest others than me.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/04/20, 22:32

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Christophe wrote:It's not wrong considering the current price of the toilet ... but you will not have the flavor of "thermal" cooking 

Because a solar oven is more "thermal." than an electric oven, I'm talking about a food cooking point of view? Is that so...

Um yes... : Cheesy:

Wait, I'll show you:

0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/04/20, 22:41

Christophe wrote:Wait, I'll show you:

It doesn't really look like the one Guygadebois presented to us .....
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 26/04/20, 23:51

sicetaitsimple wrote:Ah, the carbon footprint of PV would not be good?
It would be interesting for you to develop, because it does not seem to me to be the dominant trend on this forum. It could interest others than me.

I did not say that it was not "good" (well, that means everything and that means nothing), I asked you to calculate the one of your DIY, to be able to possibly compare it with the solar oven realized in "four ends of sheet". It's not the same ... and it's clear! You can abstain. : Mrgreen:
Christophe wrote:Wait, I'll show you ...

Difficult to go on a picnic with.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 27/04/20, 06:00

Hello,

sicetaitsimple wrote:... if our friend wants to have fun ...

Not sure if he becomes your friend and that he will enjoy reading your exchanges.

Welcome to moarteen econology!
0 x
moarten
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by moarten » 27/04/20, 14:59

Thank you for all these contributions! The controversies do not shock me: if it were such a simple subject, everything would already be resolved, and our society would already be at work ...

Yes indeed, I seek to combine simplicity of energy source with technicity to obtain a finished product which would seduce in our western world accustomed to simplicity and comfort. We talk about energy transition, and then we say that it is impossible given our needs. I just notice that launching a 2.5kW oven while the sun is beating outside, and that the oven will heat an already stifling barrack in the summer when the weather is hot, it's absurd. After, it has been very, very beautiful in the north / northeast of France for the past 5 weeks ...

PV = 20% of return, without counting the energy expenditure to manufacture the plates. That said, I am already on a 100% renewable elec contract (no nuclear) so installing plates is not necessarily a priority. This joins the main argument of my partner, which also reports @sicetaitsisimple: what good? Again, I note that the energy transition necessary to avoid / lessen the announced climate catastrophe is currently not compatible with our way of life.

In fact, one avenue is to return to low-tech, hence the solar oven. Then, adding technical sophistication at a lower cost / energy + environmental impact so that people use it, and that it is used fully, seems to me a necessary step towards wide adoption.

Personally, I dream of a community service where we could set aside time on a satellite dish to execute a cooking program ... hence some of the constraints of the projects stated.

GuyGadebois wrote:https://positivr.fr/four-solaire-gosun-solar-stove-290-degres/

yes I saw this model, not bad, especially the vacuum insulation. but: manual settings, by automation. When you use a conventional oven, you don't spend your time adjusting it.

Christophe wrote:The only solar cookers I know have 1 trackers (linear oven) or 2 axes (parabolic oven).

Do you have any references

Generally speaking, I have seen on forums Arduino / R Pi 'automatism' hack that some had tackled the task ... How is it that there is no finished product marketed ??
0 x