solar concentrator that melts steel

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Christophe

Re: Solar concentrator melting steel

by Christophe » 28/05/19, 17:04

A solar double oven made by the engineer Trombe (wall of the same name) and I did not know:

Security is pretty limited I think ...

3500 ° it must sting the hand! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/05/19, 21:47

I had thought to make a solar forge, but two drawbacks dissuaded me: I bear pretty bad full sun and, on the other hand, this invisible and undetectable ray presents a great danger of burning (think also small birds!).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 28/05/19, 22:46

Yes it is true that it is impressive. Regarding safety, if I understood correctly, the hot spot is indeed a point in space, precise, of convergence and crossing of rays (5 or 6 m from the mirror and in height), so it "suffices" perhaps to secure the proximity of this point.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/05/19, 23:17

to be chafoin wrote:therefore it may be "enough" to secure the proximity of this point.

This is exactly what was not done on the previous video ... no warning sign ... no warning that you will ... get hot!

I think that putting your head in the home is deadly ... and I'm not talking only eyes!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 29/05/19, 10:29

It is true that it is an absolutely extraordinary type of "heating": a sort of small invisible ball of fire!
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 29/05/19, 11:46

True to my habit of asking naïve questions ... apart from grilling sausages and making holes in steel plates, what are the applications for these solar concentrators? : Oops:
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 29/05/19, 13:24

Grelinette wrote:True to my habit of asking naïve questions ... apart from grilling sausages and making holes in steel plates, what are the applications for these solar concentrators? : Oops:

I take after my naive question ...

We have already had the opportunity to discuss about econology: "electricity from nuclear energy is produced by the fission of uranium atoms in the reactor which produces an increase in the temperature of the water circulating around the reactor, at 320 ° C. The water is kept under pressure to keep it from boiling. This closed circuit is called the primary circuit ".

When we discover the temperature values ​​produced by a Solar Concentrator (3000 ° to 3500 ° in seconds), which is after all a relatively small size and a great simplicity, we can not help but a comparison between solar energy and nuclear energy in terms of heat production, not to mention the complexities and costs of the respective facilities that are without any common measure ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/05/19, 13:52

Grelinette wrote:we can not help but a comparison between solar energy and nuclear energy in terms of heat production, not to mention the complexities and costs of the respective facilities that are without any common measure ...

You confuse attained temperature and heat production (energy).
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/05/19, 15:14

Complement.

As you recalled a short time ago on the "CSP / PV hybridization" thread:
"Nevertheless, I still have trouble understanding one point: we know the maximum amount of solar energy that arrives on 1 m² floor.
Some sites have an estimated theoretical value of 1000 watts per m² (exactly 1361 watts / m², maximum theoretical value under vacuum and outside the atmosphere), and the best efficiency of the recovery systems for this energy is about 500 W per m² or 50% yield.
"

Let's compare, let's be crazy, with an EPR, whose thermal power is of the order of 4500MW. If we managed to capture without any loss the maximum solar radiation, so it should 450 ha of mirrors.. We are talking about surfaces of mirrors .... About 10 times more floor space (see the photo of Crescent Dunes on the thread already mentioned). And then there are the losses ....

And finally the 1000W / m2 is at the peak and it goes down to 0 for an average of 12h / d in the year ... and during the other 12, when the sun is up, it is not 1000W / m2 in average.

In short, as you said, we can not help but make a comparison ... The result of the comparison is another question!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/05/19, 18:26

There is a simple application of solar cooking oven, interesting for hot and sunny countries *, with concentrator or not. Concentrator models are significantly more complex, but run faster.

* I specify because the two do not necessarily coincide ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."