DATS solar oven. Production and efficiency

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Mathew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

DATS solar oven. Production and efficiency

by Mathew » 10/05/11, 10:47

I started in the DATS (double-angled twelve-sided) model, a kind of parable.
It's within the reach of anyone :D
The model is there: http://solarcooking.org/francais/DATS-fr.htm
The longest is still to shop and buy what you need : Mrgreen:

The beast:

1st experience with a closed bottle of water:

It works:
It's the plastic that melted under the cap!

2nd experience today: smaller amount of water, brown bottle (beer).

I had to sacrifice a beer. It was hard under the sun today : Wink:

2 point 21 gigowatts! : Mrgreen:

The return:
1 / simple to build, inexpensive with cardboard and aluminum foil.
2 / Not stable in the wind.
3 / No orientation: I wedged it with chairs, stones ...

Conclusion:
1 / Would work better with mirrors or imitation mirrors than aluminum foil: a really flat surface without the small folds better reflects light.
2 / Imperatively make a base and a system of orientation towards the sun
3 / Large area. We have to be able to go up quite high in temperature with a less torn construction ;-)
4 / Make a system to keep the bowl at home.

I ride with my truck (see signature) and I would like the same, foldable. I'm going to look into it! :D
Last edited by Mathew the 10 / 05 / 11, 13: 23, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 11:53

To improve the coating, I advise you to test the tacked survival blanket (child's play on cardboard). It comes to around 1.5 € / m² so much cheaper than aluminum foil!

A foldable version would be the best (I guess already done).

Do not forget in the rain!
0 x
Mathew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Mathew » 17/05/11, 23:36

No changes since the last message, the job has not given me too much time .... :|

Christophe: for the rain, I thought to cover the oven with a plexiglass: weak rho, weak alpha and epsilon, so to close to 1; do I laugh?

I stick to it as soon as possible. In the meantime I follow the other posts on the same subject.

I think it's solar oven season: the human body literally bakes in the sun, and we still buy coal or gas for three damn merguez : roll:

Inevitably it motivates! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/05/11, 11:20

Here is a backup of the link which explains how to make a DATS solar oven and quoted in the 1st message (if it becomes inaccessible):

The DATS: a Solar Oven with 12 sides and 2 angles

(Editor's note: SCI has not tested this solar oven: safety, efficiency, stability or ease of use)

by Teong H. Tan

I discovered the world of solar cooking in 1982 where, as a student, I was working on a heat transfer experiment at the Brace research institute in Montreal. Brace quickly experienced this transfer and tested a variety of solar ovens. Several years passed, for me, far from any solar exposure cooking until I discovered the Solar Cookers International website three years ago. Since then, this site has become the place where I capture solar cooking activities.

Background

The CooKit is one of my favorite solar cookers. After learning about the difficulties many people face in finding heat resistant bags, and in experimenting with ordinary plastic bags that melt on contact with hot pots, I started to consider creating a simple oven, very inexpensive, easy to build and requiring no plastic bags. I designed one that I call DATS: Double-Angle Solar Oven with Twelve Ribs. It seems to work on clear, sunny days.

The DATS oven consists of 24 small reflective panels in order to concentrate the sunlight as much as possible, and this to compensate for the heat loss due to the non-use of plastic bag. The DATS oven looks like a parabolic solar oven, but instead of the curved parabola, there are several flat panels that focus the sun's rays on the pot. There are 2 angles of reflective surfaces, 45 and 60 °, having a rigid structure allowing the pot support to hold. Thanks to this rigid structure, the DATS oven can be made of a material other than cardboard.

A DATS oven, tested in Shanghai, reached a maximum temperature of 140 ° C (284 F) inside an empty black pot on a sunny day with an ambient temperature of 21 ° C (70 F) and a slight broken. The eggs were cooked in 30 minutes, two cups of rice in 95 minutes. The oven has been repositioned approximately every 45 minutes to improve its efficiency.

We use a simple support made of bamboo or sticks, an integral part of the DATS oven to constitute the support of the pot, positioning it

A simple supporting structure, made from bamboo or wooden sticks, an integrated part of the DATS oven, supports the kitchen pot in the desired position.

The DATS solar oven is stiffened by a cord which connects, by their end, the twelve panels at 45 ° between them. Tension is obtained by using a stick passed through a loop and twisting the rope. The tighter the rope, the better the shape of the DATS oven. If necessary, a string, attached to two opposite panels, in the 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock positions, can be used to straighten the shape of the oven. By detaching the rope and removing the supporting structure from the pot, the DATS solar oven can be folded for storage or transport.

Materials needed are cardboard, aluminum foil, white glue, tape, bamboo or wood sticks, and a string

Construction

Cut 12 pieces of rectangular cardboard each measuring 24 cm x 61 cm.

On each cardboard element, trace and cut the following shape. Make a straight fold 24cm from the small end of the panel. Make a hole with a punch in each of the two "ears" at the narrow end of the panel, (see plan), and bend the ears outwards.

Place the panels side by side, along the longest edge of each panel, and tape them together until the 12 panels form a ring. Stick the aluminum foil on all the interior surfaces of the solar oven.

Pass a cord through the perforated holes in the ears at the bottom end of the oven, thus connecting the bottom panels together. Pass a stick through the rope and tension it by making one or more turns until the panels form a rigid and deep parabola. For greater efficiency, close the round opening at the bottom of the cooker with a reflective disc.

To make the support for the pot, drill a small hole in the middle of the bottom half of four of the panels. Pass two parallel bamboo or wooden sticks 35 cm long in parallel to form a support rail for the pot. Then glue small pieces of cardboard on the outside, along the bottom of the two protruding sticks, for the additional rail support. Tie the ends of the sticks with the elastic bands to prevent the sticks from slipping. Then attach two bamboo or wooden sticks 29cm long, perpendicular to the rails, and sandwich, between the folded ears of the lowest panel, the end of the sticks. Connect the two perpendicular junctions of the rails to a wire or rope to provide additional stability to the pot and allowing loads up to 2.5kg.

The DATS solar oven is now operational. Position the oven directly facing the sun. A black pot, stocked with food, can now be placed flat or on support rails and cooked by the heat generated from reflected sunlight.

This document is published on The Solar Cooking Archive at http://solarcooking.org/francais/DATS-fr.htm.
0 x