Phase change materials: storing solar heat

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/11, 19:46

dedeleco wrote:All this not to invest by paying 50 to 100 years of usual heating !!!
As Christophe says, who with this argument would never have built the remarkable house, that he bought !!!

This is not quite what I said!

Invest yes but not seek total autonomy at all costs by increasing tenfold investments never profitable over a lifetime ...

For me It is clear that storing a lot without insulating very well is much less interesting than storing less while insulating very well!

That's all !
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 24/11/11, 10:05

For me, the objective of MCP is to obtain heating autonomy in winter, for example by storing 15 days of heating with a single day of sun in winter (20 to 50m² of solar thermal panels).

It can be done with paraffin or palm oil, and / or an equivalent whose phase change T ° turns around 35 ° C

Now the balance sheet alone is not necessarily profitable
question of choice, budget, comfort or voluntary approach.

just like when you replace your simple glazing, the financial profitability is around 30 to 40 years, while the gain in comfort is immediate.

Now, a 150m² house perfectly insulated and treated in double flow for example only needs less than 5kw of heating power at -7 ° C which can be supplied by a very small heat pump, see a thermodynamic DHW tank or a wood insert in addition to a reasonable surface area for solar hooders

So why seek autonomy, you say? well, for fun, or in case of a serious energy crisis why not
there are many who set up "blockhouses" in their basement

There, you know everything :D
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Phase change materials: storing solar heat

by Philippe Schutt » 29/12/18, 17:58

https://dailygeekshow.com/energie-fluide-solaire
That could solve the isolation issue, and suddenly would recover in the summer to heat in the winter.
The principle seems to me excellent.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/12/18, 20:30

It seems to me that we had already caused it and that the concern is the catalyst and the fact that it is necessary to heat the liquid so that it restores a temperature of 84 °, which can be used only to heat water of a washing machine or dishwasher https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/sc ... ncna930676
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 29/12/18, 21:48

Ah. Not seen the subject ...
And for heating or DHW, yes. it represents enough to make such a project profitable.
I do not read that the liquid should be heated, and I suppose that there will be further progress.
As it stands, a quick calculation gives me a volume of 20m3 for a small well insulated house. It is still a lot if it is necessary to provide 2 tanks. unless there is a difference in density between the 2 states, which would make it possible to be satisfied with only one tank.
In any case it is more practical than passages from solid to liquid with isolation and encapsulation in a carrier fluid.
I really believe in this thing :)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/12/18, 22:39

A more complete article https://www.popscience.fr/des-scientifi ... u-a-18-ans
and the most recent study https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/article ... c8ee01011k
Here we present a new derivative of norbornadiene, having a good solar spectral correspondence, a great robustness and an energy density of 0,4 MJ kg −1 .. Using a heterogeneous catalyst, cobalt phthalocyanine on a carbon support, we Let us demonstrate a record macroscopic heat release in a circulation system using a fixed bed catalytic reactor, resulting in a temperature increase of up to 63,4 ° C (measured temperature of 83,2 ° C). Successful outdoor tests show proof of concept and show that future implementation is achievable. The mechanism of the catalytic feedback reaction is modeled using calculations of the functional density theory (DFT) rationalizing the experimental observations.
Cobalt is rare and expensive. :frown: :x
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 30/12/18, 10:42

It is sure that we are not there yet: diluted with toluene, a beautiful filth, or chloroform it is not for individuals. in addition they did the test by passing 5 milliliters per hour through the catalyst, here too we are far from the mark. And a half-period of 30 days does not do much for a summer-winter accumulation.
But the basic principle is interesting for its other advantages, in particular storage at room temperature.
0 x

Back to "Solar thermal: solar collectors CESI, heating, hot water, stoves and solar cookers"