solar heating autoconstruction

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Solar heating in self-construction

by Forhorse » 12/03/17, 07:48

For me it's a false good idea. In a solar thermal installation panels is not necessarily the most expensive.
Let's say that if we make the price / life between a copper + tempered glass trade panel and a self-built plastic panel, I doubt that it is the second who wins. (Do not forget that by definition it is exposed to UV, heat, frost, rain / hail / snow, wind, etc ...)
0 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 12/03/17, 08:51

The biggest problem for me in this kind of approach is heating. A commercial sign will statically overheat in case of failure. The low cost panel will hardly resist.
I manage to buy solar collectors 110 euros / m² but here we are in models 25 euros / m2 for a performance that is close to trade.
I have a project to put 40 m2 on EPDM panels improved by Polymachin. I try to make the panel insensitive to heat.
I did not find better than to let the air circulate through a hole in the wooden hunt (the EPDM should hold in case of breakdown)
It is absolutely necessary to provide a calorie discharge with this kind of panel.
In my opinion, the hail and freezes will not be more of a problem than a commercial panel (freezes with the EPDM is less penalizing).
The service life is difficult to understand the EPDM is a roof sealing element given for 30 years but I also think that in life time will be lower than those of the trade.
Everything remains to know how long this type of hardboard that has multiple advantages (quick assembly, cost, lightness ....) on those of the trade.
Good Sunday
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/03/17, 11:22

Especially since polypropylene is not intended for outdoor use https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropy ... 3.A9nients
0 x
pascal29
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by pascal29 » 12/03/17, 11:41

Hello Lilian07,
I did not find anything better than letting the air flow through a hole in the wooden hunt

Why not plug this hole with a plastic greenhouse tarp that would melt if the temperature rises too much and let the air through?
A fuse somehow.

Pascal
0 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 12/03/17, 12:31

As I said I prefer to use the EPDM solar collector absorber more resistant than the polypropylene which deteriorates from 70 °.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM

The latter is given for outdoor uses with t °> 100 °.

The trick of putting a fuse (film greenhouse) in case of breakdown of circulator is not bad but it seems to me complex to implement.
An intermediate step is to put a plug for cold periods to save calories. It seems more feasible on the ground but a little less on the roof.

Even with a vent system difficult to find a good compromise between the opening of the flow and the conservation of the greenhouse effect.

I posted measurements in situ on the following post
Solar-thermal / performance-panels-solar-t14695.html

Of course this EPDM / polycarbonate system only makes sense in self-realization and I will even associate it with the "drain back" technique so that it makes sense.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/03/17, 13:30

lilian07 wrote:As I said I prefer to use the EPDM solar collector absorber more resistant than the polypropylene which deteriorates from 70 °. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM
Yes, it is soft, so valid for the inner bottom. As he quoted coroplast http://www.coroplast.com I thought it was the glass. It is bad left for one to discover his project since in addition it is necessary to pay http://sunberry.io/fr
0 x
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 12/03/17, 17:57

In fact the absorber of the commercial prototype is in PP it is very risky if one does not use a discharge loop.
When the greenhouse effect of the panel is realized using a film for greenhouse. This kind of panel must be positioned vertically if you want to reduce the inconvenience for use in heating base temperature. For the ECS it's risky, for the pool it's possible.
If I had to make an installation with it, I will make sure to never exceed the 60 ° (either by unfavorable position in the vertical summer, or by a discharge system independent of the main circuit) and if possible I would not put it under pressure.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/03/17, 18:39

izentrop wrote: It is bad left for one to discover his project since in addition it is necessary to pay http://sunberry.io/fr

there is a problem !

if they had invented a great system to make more profitable panels than others they would manufacture and sell them!

but with this method of charging for access to information for auto construction, they can be paid a number of times even if it's worthless

I have a lot of idea of ​​construction of economic sensor, but it would make me trouble to explain them in this subject! not want to keep the confusion with this sunberry.io ... so I'll open another topic
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 16/03/17, 18:39

To make a big solar thermal panel in self-construction, and for cheap, the simplest is not it to recover an old bay window double glazing (just get closer to a company or a craftsman who replaces windows and ask to recover a bay window which must leave the bucket), place this bay window on a wooden frame (4 formwork boards assembled in square), and put inside a hose type plymouth food diam. in 25 or 32mm, wound in a spiral and placed on a black background, with an entrance on one side and an exit on the other? ...

Thermal solar panel with bay window.jpg
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 16/03/17, 20:39

Hi,
The idea of ​​the recovery window is excellent.
What is less obvious is the use of Plymouth which will cost more than flat EPDM and will have less surface area (there is around a ratio of 4 in price) and will be more difficult to set up. artwork.
Ultimately, the most relevant would perhaps be Polyethylene embedded in a weak layer of concrete and then bay window. Here we can have an indestructible system, rather cheap and with good results.
I had however concluded that the simplest remains the EPDM in a wooden chest and with a cheap polycarbonate because one achieves an extreme simplicity of implementation for a price not exceeding 25 euros / m2. Difficult to do better apart from this prototype which seems less reliable to me, ie PP and a film for greenhouse as glass. At this level if I do the same I am around 15 euros / m2 but the durability and reliability will be much lower.
Kind regards.
0 x