Cookers Solar ovens: examples of self-construction

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Christophe

Cookers Solar ovens: examples of self-construction

by Christophe » 04/05/11, 10:30

Here are some examples of cookers or solar ovens with or without concentration in self-construction (to give some ideas).

Photos from the book: "Solar cookers, self-construction and recipes" (ISBN 9782842212018)

Edit, followed by 2 projects on forums solar cookers:
a) DATS cooker
b) ULOG cooker

Even in northern countries, solar cookers offer the possibility of cooking 100 to 150 days per year.

Here is a complete introduction to solar gastronomy. This cooking technique preserves the flavor and vitamins of food ... and what satisfaction to use only solar energy to cook, sterilize preserves or bake your bread! After a presentation of the different types of cookers available today in Europe, you are invited to build your own wooden solar cooker.

Detailed explanations, diagrams and photos, very easy to find materials, tasty recipes ... making and using this high-performance cooker is a fun experience for everyone.

Page 1: solar tea kettle, "tetrahedron" solar cooker, model with 4 reflectors, umbrella cooker in aluminum foil, "banana" model (I didn't understand everything), cork model?

Page 2: 2 models with recycling materials, parabolic cardboard cooker, model with parabolinic concentrator and pressure tube, foldable "travel" model, cardboard model (up to 80 ° C)

Page 3: fresnel optic (advanced self-construction), "cake box" cooker, painted model, 100% reclaimed taz model, Norwegian pot and improvised fluted model

The prize for direct recycling and simplicity goes to the "taz" model : Cheesy:

Making a solar cooker is really a quick thing! If that saves 200 to 300 kWh per year ... what are we waiting for to democratize all of this a little?

ps: sorry for the distortion of the images, I took this with a digital camera :D
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 05 / 11, 18: 48, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/05/11, 14:08

Google links are good ... but to follow a realization in "real time" from A to Z and to discuss with the "handyman" is better. Achievement and performance monitoring ...

I started making a small Ulog type solar oven, 1st info here:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post201741.html#201741

I will make a dedicated subject when the site is more advanced.

Edit: here is dedicated topic ULOG solar oven
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 05 / 11, 18: 24, 1 edited once.
0 x
Mathew
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Mathew » 09/05/11, 23:06

I allow myself to post to the continuation.
I started in model I, the DATS (double-angled twelve-sided), a kind of parable.
It's within the reach of anyone :D
The model is there: http://solarcooking.org/francais/DATS-fr.htm
The longest is still to shop and buy what you need : Mrgreen:

The beast:

1st experience with a closed bottle of water:

It works:
It's the plastic that melted under the cap!

2nd experience today: smaller amount of water, brown bottle (beer).

I had to sacrifice a beer. It was hard under the sun today : Wink:

2 point 21 gigowatts! : Mrgreen:

The return:
1 / simple to build, inexpensive with cardboard and aluminum foil.
2 / Not stable in the wind.
3 / No orientation: I wedged it with chairs, stones ...

Conclusion:
1 / Would work better with mirrors or imitation mirrors than aluminum foil
2 / Imperatively make a base and a system of orientation towards the sun
3 / Large area. We have to be able to go up quite high in temperature with a less torn construction ;-)
4 / Make a system to keep the bowl at home.

I ride with my truck (see signature) and I would like the same, foldable. I'm going to look into it! :D

Edit: here is the subject dedicated to this achievement / experience https://www.econologie.com/forums/four-solai ... 10766.html
Last edited by Mathew the 10 / 05 / 11, 10: 45, 1 edited once.
0 x
sherkanner
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sherkanner » 10/05/11, 08:56

I would use that to replace the charcoal barbecue.
0 x
When we work, we must always give 100%: 12% on Monday; 25% Tuesday; 32% Wednesday; 23% on Thursday; and 8% on Friday
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 09:56

Well yes sherkanner is "a little" the goal :)

Mathew wrote:I allow myself to post to the continuation. (..)

Super thank you for photos and return, did you try a sausage or a skewer (to show sherkanner)? : Cheesy:

Considering the richness of your testimony you should make a new topc of it entitled: "DATS solar oven, constructions and return" like mine with Ulog: https://www.econologie.com/forums/four-cuise ... 10753.html by pasting the content of this message.

To improve the coating, I advise you to test the tacked survival blanket (child's play on cardboard). It comes to around 1.5 € / m² so much cheaper than aluminum foil!

A foldable version would be the best (I guess already done).

Do not forget in the rain!
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

solar dish realization

by oli 80 » 10/05/11, 18:21

Hello, last year I saw a pretty well imagined version of solar parabola at an exhibition, the guy recovered an old parasol, whose canvas was torn, he removed it because the structure was in perfect condition, in short he replaced the torn canvas with survival blanket

he also dismantled the tube and the mechanism for opening and closing the parasol, in short it was really from the D system, I spoke to the guy on the econology site, he took note of it but I don't know what has happened to it since
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/05/11, 18:32

Ah again a good idea :) and it worked well? How many ° C at focal length?

There is also the umbrella version with closing system: perfect for storing the system with little space!
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

parable parasol

by oli 80 » 12/05/11, 17:24

Hello, in fact from what I saw his DIY parasol with electric blanket seemed to work, I saw that he was boiling water in a small saucepan, in fact if I remember correctly it was the "umbrella" system, I do not know he did not mention the maximum temperature

I think the umbrella version exists for sale like the solar cookers, but it was from the D system well done, there is a photo (just below the girl with the small high belly in the air : Mrgreen: ) in the first message of this topic we see a pot it looked more or less like that
0 x
chrisleblay
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by chrisleblay » 27/09/13, 01:15

Here is a small simple solar oven automated on the East-West axis of rotation and manual for the vertical axis

the system doesn't seem to have a solar tracker,
it seems to work with a solar cell which powers a small motor (
probably 12 volts). The inventor says that the engine starts when
at least 25% of the surface of the solar cell (8 volts) is exposed and
stops when there is not enough sun to feed it
(ie when the shadow hits the cell).

The temperature reached is 126 degrees Celcius.
most food is cooked in 2-3 hours.
Rotate 90 degrees in 3 hours.
55cm by 25cm deep approximately.

The video to build it (in English but very visual): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPFbcQ8i4PE
0 x