aluminum polishing products for solar reflector?

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Christophe

aluminum polishing products for solar reflector?

by Christophe » 11/04/10, 14:46

As part of a trial transformation of a satellite dish of recovery (kindly provided by the neighbor) into a solar oven (a specific subject will be done later I have just started), I am trying to find out if there is a product or a trick that allows you to polish to make the aluminum as reflective as possible? The ideal would be to obtain a "chrome" aspect close to the perfect mirror obviously ...

I tested sandpaper 800 grain water and some other products (stripper, chloridric acid ...) but if it removes oxidation, it only tarnishes the aluminum. See the task on the left on the last picture.

If something effective exists, it would also require a product to protect the aluminum against oxidation and 100% transparent recess. But that's the 2ieme stage.

Some photos of the stripping first tried by rubbing (hence the difference in color on the "rubbed" corner) then I used a chemical stripper but "green because without methylene chloride". It has proven to be very effective, the price is "right" pile hair double of chlorinated products.

If nothing exists I think to stick a mosaic of small mirror (2x2cm) sold in the bricos ... or, even simpler, to lay a blanket of survival ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/04/10, 15:01

Not that! There is a painting that reproduces exactly what you want, a perfect chrome effect! (Seen on MTV in Pimp my Ride ...) To be mistaken with real chrome ...

So rejoice. If you have a compressor of minimum 2 bar and can lend you a good bodybuilder's gun, your work will be used to squirt a layer of apret. then primary, then your painting "chrome". And take everything from the same manufacturer to have the same chemical base (essential ... no economy in there).

I have a parable of recovery and you give me the idea to do the same ... By cons how to position the "home" to the ideal distance? A bein I think that by putting a "target" the answer will soon become obvious, is that it?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/10, 15:15

Ah the famous chrome paint ... I thought about it but at the time when I patched up the mob (15 years ago), in the best case it gave an "aluminum mat" aspect ... but it was sold well (spray) as "chrome paint" : Cheesy:

I thus tried to "re-chrome" parts, I had found a company in Strasbourg which did it but apparently the practice had been banned a few weeks before ... cause: pollution of the chrome plating technique!

So you are sure that the paint is available / approved in Europe? Do you know the brand?

Glad that it gives you ideas, we can discuss on the subject ...

For the hearth, it's quite easy, we already have the "arm" which gives the approximate position of the hearth with 2 beautiful tarals, it will be easy to make an intermediate piece (but with a saucepan, not really worth having the focus so precise as that).

It is an "ovaloid" parabola (higher than it is wide) so the focus will necessarily be slightly elongated. Depending on the position and inclination of the dish / sun, the position of the focus varies a lot (obviously) but to cook for 2 or 3 hours this must be tolerable.
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 11/04/10, 15:30

Hello Christophe
all simply polisch for stainless steel. it gives a mirror polished look. it's as bright as chrome.
then to avoid corrosion of the printed circuit board varnish
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/04/10, 15:34

It's also an idea ... But it will be less powerful than the "chrome" rendering amha. And then your varnish must be forgotten ... You need an external varnish of very high quality and UV resistant, point bar ... (humm ... all the time exposed to the sun ... do not forget)

Christophe wrote:Glad that it gives you ideas, we can discuss on the subject ...

With pleasure.

Aaaaaaah yes the chrome spray we can forget.

Looks like I repainted several cars (no we are not just paper scrapers, are not we?) : Mrgreen:

... this allied to the taste of work well done and thanks to this site:
http://jcfressaix.free.fr/

Where I found VERY wise advice. And especially that it took a good gun to do (I took that a sub-brand of the one they use at Merceds Benz in the chains of prod ...) and a compressor of 3bar! And believe me if you want but the difference is phenomenal. The painting is literally "plated" against the support as if you were sending it with a big blow of club. And when you see the result: it's the foot !!!

Knowing this but not having the point of view "spray power" I would go to the coachbuilder corner. But in any case, the chrome paint must work. What I saw was not dull at all. And for the homologation, hey, hey ... it's a bit of the last of my worries when I see that these same homologations are there to curb the "green" products .... : Evil: On the other hand if it exists in homologated why not ... Note that this painting could well be promoted to a "brilliant" future (... not able to resist : Cheesy: )

Christophe wrote:For the hearth, it's quite easy, we already have the "arm" which gives the approximate position of the hearth with 2 beautiful tarals, it will be easy to make an intermediate piece (but with a saucepan, not really worth having the focus so precise as that).

It is an "ovaloid" parabola (higher than it is wide) so the focus will necessarily be slightly elongated. Depending on the position and inclination of the dish / sun, the position of the focus varies a lot (obviously) but to cook for 2 or 3 hours this must be tolerable.

Absolutely! (Well I do not have the "taraux" ... but I would find ...)

Ok, I found:
http://www.kustomrides.com/chromepaint.htm

0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/04/10, 15:56

... on the other hand it's high-flying painting work ...

You have to be super careful, they talk about the preparation of the surface that must look like a polishing / finish comparable to a glass surface. : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

... but it's absolutely logical!

MirraChrome will create a mirror finish as long as your surface is as smooth as glass. Please follow these steps for best results. If your surface already has a glass like sheen, move on to step 4.

STEP 1. - Apply Alsa Black Jet Basecoat Styler over your primer.

STEP 2. - Allow the basecoat to fully dry 15-30 min. You are now ready to apply 1-2 coats of Mirra Clear.

STEP 3. - Allow the Mirra Clear (do not bake) to air dry 24 hours.

STEP 4. - Begin applying MirraChrome using a dusting effect, (very small volume of material with a substantial amount of air). INSTRUCTIONS: If you are using an HVLP gun you should be around to avoid it. Continue applying the MirraChrome until desired effect is achieved.

STEP 5. - Allow the MirraChrome to air dry to 24 hours (70º - 75º F); do not bake.

STEP 6. - Use a very soft lint-free cloth to remove any of the excess dust / overspray from the surface; wipe softly. If you complete this step you will notice a drastic improvement in the final appearance.

STEP 7. - Now apply 1 coat MirraClear and allow to dry for 30 dry air (15 min @ 140 ° F) before moving on to Step 8.

STEP 8. Alsa Speed ​​Clear (wet sand Mirra Clear beforehand).

If it is necessary to arrive at such a degree of polishing, perhaps that must be enough even without this painting ... it would be necessary to make an attempt ...
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 11/04/10, 16:11

we could also do an electrolysis or anodizing with chromium ...
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 11/04/10, 16:11

Hello,

What a good idea ! It will at least give a second life to these parables.
For the "chrome" finish, aluminum is not by far the best solution because it loses a good part of its reflecting power in a week due to the formation of alumina ....
And putting a varnish on top does not help things .....
I prefer him:
http://www.growshops.fr/mylar-epais-ant ... 52f5f68407
http://micsolaire.aliceblogs.fr/blog/_a ... 54281.html
http://www.culture-hydroponique.com/ecl ... e-659.html
This Mylar reflect-a-gro has a reflecting power of 95% and is in the form of a thick 50 film.
Nothing to do with supermarket or glass mirrors.

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/10, 16:13

Interesting photos ... if you can put them, better a double tag than a dead image link!

Thanks also for the link.

Obamot wrote:You have to be super careful, they talk about the preparation of the surface that must look like a polishing / finish comparable to a glass surface. : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

Ah ok it's a nail polish so : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Boubka is polish stainless steel is in car racks of bricos?

Well I'll see if Mira is available in BE or FR but the polish solution tempts me more because in any case, it is necessary to varnish with a quality varnish ... so ...
Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 04 / 10, 16: 17, 1 edited once.
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 11/04/10, 16:16

tip top this movie :D
0 x

Back to "Solar thermal: solar collectors CESI, heating, hot water, stoves and solar cookers"